The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Feb 10, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #6,467 of 6,865
Thanks for making sure, I was seeing COAX as a victory. :thumbsup:
It sounds like one of moving the jack connection may have lost some spring and is not moving back to "open" connection when you pull out the connector. It might need to be bent back some... This might be possible from outside with some "dental" tools... But might be easier to do with back taken off... (like a phone, heat to loosen adhesive and carefully pull off.) Or a Phone repair shop could fix or replace the 2.5mm jack completely. Just some ideas...

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #6,468 of 6,865
Hi,

if I pause playback, the bluetooth connection will be lost after 1-2 minutes. Is there a solution in the settings menu?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,469 of 6,865
I've figured the whole thing out.

1) Create a playlist on the R3 (don't create an empty one, put in a couple of songs in there just in case)
2) Tap the down arrow on the right hand side of the new playlist you created and then select "Save playlist"
3) A pop up should come up asking you what format to save the playlist as (it should say .m3u), tap on .m3u and a new pop up will say "playlist saved"
4) now mount the R3 on your PC, the playlist_data folder should now be created at the root level by the system, now you can copy m3u playlist into the folder and the R3 should pick them up when you tap the "Load playlist" option

Manually creating a playlist_data folder DOESN'T work, it seems that only creating a playlist AND saving it on the R3 will trigger a flag in the OS to let it know that the playlist_data folder exists and then can start scanning that folder and import playlists. Also make sure the m3u filepath are using relative filepath.

(I can't believe how many reviews - even the reputable ones - never touched upon how terrible the m3u playlist situation was in the firmware. Makes me lose respect and to doubt their testing method now regarding DAP UI).
Sorry to ask, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with the m3u file that shows up in the playlist_data folder. Am I supposed to move it to the folder with the music I want to be turned into a playlist? Attempting to load playlist from the R3 Pro after doing this either gives me the message that the playlist couldn't be found or that there is already a playlist with the same name. Overwriting or keeping both simply creates another playlist which also doesn't have any music in it.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #6,471 of 6,865
@Joe Bloggs or anyone else willing to answer:

Do I need to safely eject (or remove) the R3 Pro via the Windows 10 taskbar after every time I transfer music from my PC to the SD card inserted in the player to avoid the card from being corrupted? I just pull the cable out after I make sure everything is fully transferred to the player but is this the correct way to do it?

Should I also click on the back arrow that appears when the device is in USB mode during file transfer? Never pressed it before but is this needed so the card won't be corrupted?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #6,473 of 6,865
Mine the same, should it show orange colour? Did the manual said so?

Per the specifications, the R3 Pro does 4x MQA which is 176.4 or 192 kHz. The LED should be green.

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #6,474 of 6,865
@Joe Bloggs or anyone else willing to answer:

Do I need to safely eject (or remove) the R3 Pro via the Windows 10 taskbar after every time I transfer music from my PC to the SD card inserted in the player to avoid the card from being corrupted? I just pull the cable out after I make sure everything is fully transferred to the player but is this the correct way to do it?

Should I also click on the back arrow that appears when the device is in USB mode during file transfer? Never pressed it before but is this needed so the card won't be corrupted?

Many thanks.
Usually external drives like this are optimized by the operating system to be safely removable as much of the time as possible, so "pull the cable after you make sure everything is fully transferred" should be fine.

Well, that does not eliminate the possibility that some kind of transfer is initiated (by e.g. some third party program you are not aware of) just as you are going to pull the plug, whereas clicking the safe eject buttons dismount the drive in software before you disconnect it in hardware.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 21, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #6,475 of 6,865
Is there some reason my R3 won't display the LED orange playing MQA? It only shows green and not orange which makes me wonder in the R3 is decoding MQA.
What does the LCD screen itself show?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 21, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #6,476 of 6,865
What does the LCD screen itself show?

4X MQA would be green LED (176.4 or 192 kHz). That's what the specs on the web page indicate (4x). I suspect that 8x is too much for the XMOS even though the DAC chip can handle 384 kHz?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #6,477 of 6,865
Received my Hiby R3 Pro a couple of weeks ago but also already own a R3 Pro Saber. A quick assessment would be that the regular Pro is noticeably bassier and in general, vocals a tad more forward. The Saber version meanwhile, has more treble and thus more detailed. With the 7HZ Timeless, I’m pairing it mostly with the regular Pro at the moment just for that extra kick to even out the 7HZ’s pronounced treble, but I admit, the Saber combination also sounds exceptional.

I admit though that with my other IEMs, the Moondrop Aria and T3 Plus, synergize considerably more with the Saber. More details and increased clarity with these two compared to the regular Pro, so if I was forced to choose only one unit, it’d be the Saber.

It’s unfortunate that I’m stuck with the stock firmware for the Saber, however, since my unit is plagued with the flaw of it being not upgradable without rooting it. But yeah, like I said, a quick assessment on both players.

Before, I forget I do experience a bug with both players, @Joe Bloggs. Sometimes the touch functionality wouldn’t work at all unless I turn off the screen by pressing the power button and turning it back on. I’m using firmware 1.7 on the Pro and the stock 1.3 on the Saber. I’m personally using the microSD cards to listen to my music on both players.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #6,478 of 6,865
I made a discovery today!

A few days ago I noticed that my dying battery has generously removed the back cover of my Hiby r3 player. (yay no need to bother with a heatgun) So I ordered a new battery from AliExpress & removed the old one. Here comes the interesting part, on a whim I connected my battery-less R3 to a Xiaomi power bank & lo and behold it works! It's annoying that it does not remember any settings & you gotta select language on every boot, but it's comforting to know that I can still use the player once I can no longer buy a matching battery for it.. (plus it should last quite a bit longer with a big power bank)

Just the right amount of expansion for a gentle back cover removal:

PXL_20220324_182121320.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #6,479 of 6,865
I made a discovery today!

A few days ago I noticed that my dying battery has generously removed the back cover of my Hiby r3 player. (yay no need to bother with a heatgun) So I ordered a new battery from AliExpress & removed the old one. Here comes the interesting part, on a whim I connected my battery-less R3 to a Xiaomi power bank & lo and behold it works! It's annoying that it does not remember any settings & you gotta select language on every boot, but it's comforting to know that I can still use the player once I can no longer buy a matching battery for it.. (plus it should last quite a bit longer with a big power bank)

Just the right amount of expansion for a gentle back cover removal:

PXL_20220324_182121320.jpg
The 455057 is the battery dimensions... 45mm x 50mm by 5.7mm thick. most of these lipoly batteries use same dimension numbering system. Any battery with similar or smaller dimensions should fit as a replacement.. Most are 2 wire, red and black. Can just twest wires into existing ones and tape, (or solder and tape). Should be able to find something on Aliexpress or Amazon.com. (IF it has 3 or 4 wires, it will be more difficult to find replacement battery.) Good Luck!

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #6,480 of 6,865
The 455057 is the battery dimensions... 45mm x 50mm by 5.7mm thick. most of these lipoly batteries use same dimension numbering system. Any battery with similar or smaller dimensions should fit as a replacement.. Most are 2 wire, red and black. Can just twest wires into existing ones and tape, (or solder and tape). Should be able to find something on Aliexpress or Amazon.com. (IF it has 3 or 4 wires, it will be more difficult to find replacement battery.) Good Luck!

Yes, any one cell LiPo should do, as long as it fits in the space. You just need to be extremely careful when soldering. Prevent short circuiting the battery wires at any time, and don’t damage anything on the board with the soldering iron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back