The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #706 of 754
Yes, just like that👍

Nice...I've actually been experimenting with that...not around the holes, just evenly spaced around the felt (between the holes, both the open ones and the felt-covered ones). The primary purpose was cleaning up the sound and deepening the bass response so I could use G-Cush. I've been really happy with what I hear...

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #708 of 754
Anyone ordered from nhoord recently? I placed an order about 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back from them. I've tried emailing a few times. Wondering if anyone here has any news?

Not recently...will drop him a line as well and check in...

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #709 of 754
Not recently...will drop him a line as well and check in...

Received an email today, he appears to have been having some supply issues.Can’t wait to hear the sound!

curious if anyone has side by sided / compared the Epsilon R1 with the Red V2 - I’ve been searching the forums but have had only moderate success

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #710 of 754
Received an email today, he appears to have been having some supply issues.Can’t wait to hear the sound!

curious if anyone has side by sided / compared the Epsilon R1 with the Red V2 - I’ve been searching the forums but have had only moderate success
I have both and they are quite different, Red V2 is much more main stream tuning while the R1 is more reference tuning. This will also depend on the cups used, R1 favors cups from Elleven Acoustica (they probably tune them using cups they build) while the V2 is pretty good in almost any decent wood cup.

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #712 of 754
I noticed that some grados double up on wires (4 cores, two for each contact point). Does anyone know the effect this has on the sound and if anyone has experimented connecting 1 vs 2) ?
Would all drivers benefit from having all 4 connected per driver?

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #713 of 754
I noticed that some grados double up on wires (4 cores, two for each contact point). Does anyone know the effect this has on the sound and if anyone has experimented connecting 1 vs 2) ?
No effect whatsoever. The circuit diagram is unchanged.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #714 of 754

As per @Mightygrey - no effect whatsoever.
Microphone cable uses two twisted pairs to reject electromagnetic interference. This would be a problem for microphone cables because they use long runs and presumably in close proximity to electrical cables. It's not such a biggie on short cable runs and in the sort of settings where you're using your headphones.

That said, I think all my cables use four conductors per channel :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #715 of 754
As per @Mightygrey - no effect whatsoever.
Microphone cable uses two twisted pairs to reject electromagnetic interference. This would be a problem for microphone cables because they use long runs and presumably in close proximity to electrical cables. It's not such a biggie on short cable runs and in the sort of settings where you're using your headphones.

That said, I think all my cables use four conductors per channel :)
4 cores per channel = 4X the sound! :)

thanks for the feedback. I am assuming it is mostly done for sturdiness, the more cores you have the less likely you’ll lose connection. Instead of putting in one thick core, multiple thinner ones are more flexible and reliable.

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #716 of 754
4 cores per channel = 4X the sound! :)

thanks for the feedback. I am assuming it is mostly done for sturdiness, the more cores you have the less likely you’ll lose connection. Instead of putting in one thick core, multiple thinner ones are more flexible and reliable.
Lower overall impedance, actually. Grado drivers are all fairly low impedance, on the order of 32 ohms, so a low impedance cable, permanently connected with no connectors to impose their own losses, is what you might call a force multiplier. 😉

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #720 of 754
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back