The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #1,516 of 23,667
Can anyone provide a comparison of either of these units to the Shure KSE1500's? I use a wm1z as a source, and am looking for something to go direct into the wm1z. After reading everything I can I am having a hard time deciding between the two and I would like to order next week if they black friday deal returns so I won't have time to join the tour..

Thx in advance

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,517 of 23,667
To other users like me, who have no idea how much an amp can actually change the tone of the IEM I present a measurement, where one line represents the frequency response of U18 with Iphone 6S+ and the fatter line is the exact same setup with Mojo as an converter / amp. The difference is drastic. For me, the U18's were a bit of a disappointment at first, but it turns out the reason was they just do not work for me with iphone. In short, Mojo makes them sound 3db fatter in the bottom end while at the same time taming the high mid to high frequencies about 2 db, while keeping the "air" at 13-15khz about the same compared to iphone.

To dramatise the difference an amp would make with U18 I made another pic where a third headphone amp is also measured, this time it's an Mbox Pro, it's the graph with lightest bass and piercing highs.. so, the 18's can sound very very differently to people depending on what is driving their pair of these fine IEM's
U18_Mojo_Iphone_MboxPro.jpg

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,518 of 23,667
To dramatise the difference an amp would make with U18 I made another pic where a third headphone amp is also measured, this time it's an Mbox Pro, it's the graph with lightest bass and piercing highs.. so, the 18's can sound very very differently to people depending on what is driving their pair of these fine IEM's

Please, let us know your setup for measurement.

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,519 of 23,667
Please, let us know your setup for measurement.

The pink noise comes either from AudioTools app on iphone or Smaart measuring software on a macbook pro. The universal IEM's are with Spin Fit silicone tips pushed all the way to the end to have as little "horn" effect as possible. The coupler is silicone hose giving about 2cm distance from IEM to the mic capsule. The microphone is iSEM EMX-7150. Mic goes into Avid Mbox Pro mic preamp and the measuring software is Smaart. In Smaart there is no weighting selected and averaging is set to 5 sec.

Here is a bonus pic of 60ohm 64 Audio U2e IEM's that have minimal differences run from either iphone or Mojo...

U2e_Mojo_vs_iphone_60ohm.jpg

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #1,522 of 23,667
Which model would you recommend for somebody just trying to enjoy some music? Also which one would you guys consider to be the sweet spot price - performance?
I recently reviewed the U6 and they are excellent performers for the price. Not cheap, but I got the impression that many people consider them to be the sweet spot in 64 Audio's line. I found them very versatile, warm and smooth stock and easy to fine tune the sound with the M15 APEX module and an aftermarket cable. Really great allrounders with a wonderful natural sound that is never fatiguing. Definitely worth a look/demo!

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,524 of 23,667
I have no idea if 64 Audio will have Black Friday deals, but I expect so.

Sadly I have not yet had the opportunity to demo anything from EE, but they have some very interesting options as well. Tough choice, but nice to have! :D

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,525 of 23,667
I got U4-SE from Massdrop and am VERY satisfied with them. Twister6 has written great reviews about U4-SE and U6, which helped me made my choice, and from my experience with U4-SE, is very accurate.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #1,526 of 23,667
I really wish I could try out Empire Ears Zeus XR to see how they stack up against Tia Fourté

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #1,527 of 23,667
Thanks! :) I notice a lot of the 6 driver iems seem to be all rounders.

Do you know if 64 audio has a black friday sale? Stuck deciding between 64 and Empire ears

I believe 64Audio is having a Black Friday sale but not on their top two flagships, but everything else will have a 20% discount. I read twister6 review of them both and will stick with 64Audio.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,529 of 23,667
I really wish I could try out Empire Ears Zeus XR to see how they stack up against Tia Fourté

Get in contact with @Ethan Groover from EE. He can set you up with a demo. You have to pay in full and then you get refunded once they have them back at their office.

It is definitely worth it though considering you may be dropping $2000+ on headphones.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,530 of 23,667
Get in contact with @Ethan Groover from EE. He can set you up with a demo. You have to pay in full and then you get refunded once they have them back at their office.

It is definitely worth it though considering you may be dropping $2000+ on headphones.

I’ll see if i can get a pair to review. Have you tried both? What are your impressions of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back