The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,101 of 23,668
I received my U18s yesterday. First of all, I want to thank all the contributors to this thread. It's been really informative for me, and having never heard any of the newer TOTL IEMs, the impressions everyone has shared have been invaluable in helping me make my decision. I think I'm still adjusting to the U18. The sound is so transparent and pinpoint accurate, it's kind of shocking. My previous earphones are the w3, w30, and SE846, so this is a huge step up for me.

I'm having some issues with the fit, however, and that's been frustrating. I've never had problems with universals, so this is surprising, especially since most of what I've read has been very positive about the ergonomics. For all my previous IEMs, I'd just use whatever medium silicone tips I had, and I never gave it a second thought. For the U18 though, none of the stock silicones nor SpinFits have come close. I can't get a seal, and the U18s practically fall out of my ears. I've never liked foam, but the tips that come in the package (I believe they're Comply?) are the best so far. They're pretty comfortable, and the isolation is very good but falls short of great. The sound is really unbelievable with them on, and the bass really comes alive and starts to growl. I also have a set of Symbio tips (normal bore), and they're a distant second to the comfort and isolation of the Complys, but still much better than any of the pure silicones. I have a set of Symbio wide bores coming any day, so perhaps they will work a little better. I suppose what I don't like about the Complys is that they don't seem durable and they're always deforming and gathering dirt/wax, but maybe I just have to accept that going forward I might be a foam person.

In addition to the tips, I think the U18 housing is also a little uncomfortable. I'm hopeful that my ears will adjust though. At first, the SE846 felt too big, and I didn't like the way they seemed to force my ears open, but over time I became used to how they felt, and eventually, they became easily as comfortable as my Westones. I also think that the fact that they were a little fatter helped with the isolation. The U18s, however, lack the more organic/bulbous shape of the SE846, and that has been a little irritating.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful, and I have a few questions about tips. I think that if the Symbios protruded a little farther out, they might work very well. Has anyone had luck with adding a little ring at the base of the stem to prevent them from being pushed all the way down? I think I could, for example, cut a little ring out of the center of the SpinFits, but I'm not sure how I'd do this. With an Exacto knife? Also, can anyone recommend silicones that are taller than SpinFits? I'd use my Westones, but the stem of the U18 is too wide.

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,102 of 23,668
Now comes the task of finding the best DAP for them... Ha. I have a Mojo I really like, but I find it cumbersome and would prefer to go to a non-stacked solution. Thoughts?

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,105 of 23,668
I received my U18s yesterday. First of all, I want to thank all the contributors to this thread. It's been really informative for me, and having never heard any of the newer TOTL IEMs, the impressions everyone has shared have been invaluable in helping me make my decision. I think I'm still adjusting to the U18. The sound is so transparent and pinpoint accurate, it's kind of shocking. My previous earphones are the w3, w30, and SE846, so this is a huge step up for me.

I'm having some issues with the fit, however, and that's been frustrating. I've never had problems with universals, so this is surprising, especially since most of what I've read has been very positive about the ergonomics. For all my previous IEMs, I'd just use whatever medium silicone tips I had, and I never gave it a second thought. For the U18 though, none of the stock silicones nor SpinFits have come close. I can't get a seal, and the U18s practically fall out of my ears. I've never liked foam, but the tips that come in the package (I believe they're Comply?) are the best so far. They're pretty comfortable, and the isolation is very good but falls short of great. The sound is really unbelievable with them on, and the bass really comes alive and starts to growl. I also have a set of Symbio tips (normal bore), and they're a distant second to the comfort and isolation of the Complys, but still much better than any of the pure silicones. I have a set of Symbio wide bores coming any day, so perhaps they will work a little better. I suppose what I don't like about the Complys is that they don't seem durable and they're always deforming and gathering dirt/wax, but maybe I just have to accept that going forward I might be a foam person.

In addition to the tips, I think the U18 housing is also a little uncomfortable. I'm hopeful that my ears will adjust though. At first, the SE846 felt too big, and I didn't like the way they seemed to force my ears open, but over time I became used to how they felt, and eventually, they became easily as comfortable as my Westones. I also think that the fact that they were a little fatter helped with the isolation. The U18s, however, lack the more organic/bulbous shape of the SE846, and that has been a little irritating.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful, and I have a few questions about tips. I think that if the Symbios protruded a little farther out, they might work very well. Has anyone had luck with adding a little ring at the base of the stem to prevent them from being pushed all the way down? I think I could, for example, cut a little ring out of the center of the SpinFits, but I'm not sure how I'd do this. With an Exacto knife? Also, can anyone recommend silicones that are taller than SpinFits? I'd use my Westones, but the stem of the U18 is too wide.

Thanks!
Hmm..I recommend spiral dot tip+O-ring(size p5). spral dot tip's bore is 6.5mm compare to symbio wide bore tip(4.5mm). And O-ring will prevent the tips to move backward.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2,107 of 23,668
Needs to have Tidal/Spotify, sorry forgot to mention. I own 0 physical music outside of records. #millennial

AK SP1000 for sure... it’s at the very top.. everything else just trying to keep up. But honestly AK380 Copper/stainless steel will do you just fine. Not always about the latest and greatest.. I try to focus on good synergy between my DAP/IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,110 of 23,668
Dec 16, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2,111 of 23,668
Well maybe dx200 w/amp3 ? If low budget, n5ii or hiby r6 ?

Yep, if @pfurey89 wants both Tidal and Spotify, need an android based DAP. With DX200, apps need to be sideloaded, unless you use Lurker's custom ROM with Google Play, FiiO X7ii should be fine, N5ii will work too though I don't know how it pairs up with 64 Audio iems yet, waiting for the review sample (heard, it has less body than i5). Don't know about R6 pair up, but I wouldn't recommend A/U18 or Fourte with it, only U12t or Trio because R6 has 10 ohm output impedance, so 64 Audio iems with LID should pair up better.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,112 of 23,668
Needs to have Tidal/Spotify, sorry forgot to mention. I own 0 physical music outside of records. #millennial

Consider the Onkyo DP-1XA (the higher end version of this player) if you aren't looking to spend more than you earphones on a player.

I demoed the A&K SP1000 and it is higher sound quality than the Onkyo, but it is also almost $3,000 more than the Onkyo.

I demoed the SP1000 and the Sony WM-1Z for a couple of weeks. Both great players, but the sound felt richer with the Sony WM-1Z, so I went with that one to replace my Onkyo. I'm not a millenial, so the streaming capabilities of the Onkyo and SP1000 weren't as important to me.

Until I got the SP1000 and the WM-1Z, I was very happy with the Onkyo. Really nice sound. Great User Interface as well.

After doing your research, if you are interested in the Onkyo, PM me as I'm going to sell mine.

As you know, I use 64 Audio A18 and Tia Fourte, so all my comments about the DAPs are using these two earphones.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2,115 of 23,668
Consider the Onkyo DP-1XA (the higher end version of this player) if you aren't looking to spend more than you earphones on a player.

I demoed the A&K SP1000 and it is higher sound quality than the Onkyo, but it is also almost $3,000 more than the Onkyo.

I demoed the SP1000 and the Sony WM-1Z for a couple of weeks. Both great players, but the sound felt richer with the Sony WM-1Z, so I went with that one to replace my Onkyo. I'm not a millenial, so the streaming capabilities of the Onkyo and SP1000 weren't as important to me.

Until I got the SP1000 and the WM-1Z, I was very happy with the Onkyo. Really nice sound. Great User Interface as well.

After doing your research, if you are interested in the Onkyo, PM me as I'm going to sell mine.

As you know, I use 64 Audio A18 and Tia Fourte, so all my comments about the DAPs are using these two earphones.

Which pair do you find yourself using the most? I’m Thinking about getting both but not sure yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back