The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #5,311 of 23,684
The reason I hesitate on getting the N8 isn’t because of the money needed to purchase it. I’m hesitant because of the door it opens if I was to get it. This hobby, as I’m sure you all know, is quite a rabbit hole. I like to try lots of different IEM and headphones. At this point, the hobby is almost collecting them. Of course all this is within a certain price range I’ve set for myself. I’m afraid that if I jump to the price range of the N8, I’m going to open up the door to a bunch of IEMs that I’ve been interested in but never got because they’re “out of my price range”. Then the next thing I know, I can only afford to eat cheap instant noodles because I have 20 pairs of 2k+ headphones =(

But I don’t know maybe I can have just one four digit priced IEM and have the willpower to keep it as one... but without being able to demo them here in the sf Bay Area, I’m not sure if I want to make that leap
N8 is too bassy imo, A6t would be a better choice for a more balanced option

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #5,312 of 23,684
Just got my N8's in. They sound reaaaallly good. Tonally they probably remind me most of an HD650 with more upper mid detail and precision plus bass emphasis shifted from midbass down to subbass. I feel like I'm hearing midrange detail that I don't normally hear, I'm not sure if it's a frequency response result or because of the overall clarity. Bass impact is tasteful + solid and treble is very smooth (which probably is what brings to mind the 650 the most). The fit on the shells is impressive. Isolation seems very good yet there are no weird vacuum seal issues, probably as a result of apex (I got the m20). Everything just seems really well thought out.

Only A/B I've done so far is with my Futursonics MG5hx CIEM. Main difference is clarity clarity clarity in favor of the N8, more balance between bass and the rest, and surprisngly soundstage.....N8 sounds much less closed in and more like a full sized headphone oven speakers. Extra money for the N8 well worth it to me.

Personally, speaking as a bit of a basshead, I would not classify these as "basshead IEMs" like I would something like the Periodic Be and probably Campfire Vega. It is more balanced. It reminds me of the level of bass I dial into my Home Theater tower speakers + SVS subwoofer, which is about +10 db with an 80hz 24dB/oct crossover.

20180907_175309.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #5,313 of 23,684
Just got my N8's in. They sound reaaaallly good. Tonally they probably remind me most of an HD650 with more upper mid detail and precision plus bass emphasis shifted from midbass down to subbass. I feel like I'm hearing midrange detail that I don't normally hear, I'm not sure if it's a frequency response result or because of the overall clarity. Bass impact is tasteful + solid and treble is very smooth (which probably is what brings to mind the 650 the most). The fit on the shells is impressive. Isolation seems very good yet there are no weird vacuum seal issues, probably as a result of apex (I got the m20). Everything just seems really well thought out.

Only A/B I've done so far is with my Futursonics MG5hx CIEM. Main difference is clarity clarity clarity in favor of the N8, more balance between bass and the rest, and surprisngly soundstage.....N8 sounds much less closed in and more like a full sized headphone oven speakers. Extra money for the N8 well worth it to me.

Personally, speaking as a bit of a basshead, I would not classify these as "basshead IEMs" like I would something like the Periodic Be and probably Campfire Vega. It is more balanced. It reminds me of the level of bass I dial into my Home Theater tower speakers + SVS subwoofer, which is about +10 db with an 80hz 24dB/oct crossover.

20180907_175309.jpg

Hmm I had N8 as a potential purchase, but I really, really dislike the hd650 so if it somewhat sounds like it then maybe I have to look elsewhere in the 64 audio family. And I typically love hybrids. I hope to hear more reviews and maybe I might put it at the top of the list if reports on the treble are good. I'm a partial V sound signature guy. Too much V shape like the Vega isn't for me, but a slight V signature is what I'm looking for with good and controlled sub bass. There's nothing more that annoys me than sub bass blooming into the regular bass and muddie bass because of it.

Sep 7, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #5,314 of 23,684
Hmm I had N8 as a potential purchase, but I really, really dislike the hd650 so if it somewhat sounds like it then maybe I have to look elsewhere in the 64 audio family. And I typically love hybrids. I hope to hear more reviews and maybe I might put it at the top of the list if reports on the treble are good. I'm a partial V sound signature guy. Too much V shape like the Vega isn't for me, but a slight V signature is what I'm looking for with good and controlled sub bass. There's nothing more that annoys me than sub bass blooming into the regular bass and muddie bass because of it.

A12T surely comes to mind as it is a mild-V signature. A18T would me more neutral bit can still sound like a warm V on some recordings

Sep 7, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #5,315 of 23,684

I'm curious as to how you find them in relationship to the Ether Flows? I've been considering the N8 as my next CIEM, and enjoy the sound signature of my Ether Flow Opens =)

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #5,316 of 23,684
A12T surely comes to mind as it is a mild-V signature. A18T would me more neutral bit can still sound like a warm V on some recordings

Yeah I'm thinking that the A12T might be what I'll like best too.

I'm curious as to how you find them in relationship to the Ether Flows? I've been considering the N8 as my next CIEM, and enjoy the sound signature of my Ether Flows =)

I just sold my sony z1r headphones and the ether flows are on the short list to replace it with and save some money as well so I'm curious to hear some other impressions from an IEM user.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #5,317 of 23,684
I'm curious as to how you find them in relationship to the Ether Flows? I've been considering the N8 as my next CIEM, and enjoy the sound signature of my Ether Flow Opens =)

Ether Flow Open is definitely brighter in treble and more V shaped with less sub bass. Ether Flow has to win in soundstage and clarity though. Main difference is that the N8 has a lot more present midrange and more very low frequency sub-bass kick (below 50hz especially). I am away from home for a few weeks and can't directly a/b them. On a rock track the Ether Flow will tend to emphasize cymbals where the N8 will emphasize guitars and whatever is mixed in the lowest octaves be it bass guitar or kick drum. I would say the Ether Flow is probably more exciting but the N8 is an easier listen for several hours on music. I just listend to my N8 for a 2 hour workout and it was wonderful. Very little microphonics while jogging using the memory wire and shirt clip. I know I am in new toy syndrome phase with my N8 since I just got it but my initial impression is that it's probably my most valued piece of audio equipment, if it proves durable enough to survive daily workouts.

This song came on during the workout, yes I know it's nu-metal crap, but it gave me goosbumps/chills during the intro playing on the N8 because of the sub bass power combined with guitar crunch after.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #5,318 of 23,684
Ether Flow Open is definitely brighter in treble and more V shaped with less sub bass. Ether Flow has to win in soundstage and clarity though. Main difference is that the N8 has a lot more present midrange and more very low frequency sub-bass kick (below 50hz especially). I am away from home for a few weeks and can't directly a/b them. On a rock track the Ether Flow will tend to emphasize cymbals where the N8 will emphasize guitars and whatever is mixed in the lowest octaves be it bass guitar or kick drum. I would say the Ether Flow is probably more exciting but the N8 is an easier listen for several hours on music. I just listend to my N8 for a 2 hour workout and it was wonderful. Very little microphonics while jogging using the memory wire and shirt clip. I know I am in new toy syndrome phase with my N8 since I just got it but my initial impression is that it's probably my most valued piece of audio equipment, if it proves durable enough to survive daily workouts.

This song came on during the workout, yes I know it's nu-metal crap, but it gave me goosbumps/chills during the intro playing on the N8 because of the sub bass power combined with guitar crunch after.

The N8 sounds good. I used to be a 100% metal guy, but now I'm more like a 25% metal guy and I love hybrids because I think that most BA IEMs can't do sub bass well with a few exceptions, but I am considering the A12T this time around. I think it can do metal well (I hope). But I'll still read as much as I can about the N8 as I have always liked hybrids.

I like the clear look so that you can constantly admire the workmanship and see what's in there. But I am thinking of getting a koa wood option as I was born and raised in Hawaii into my late 20s except for college.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #5,320 of 23,684
@RollsDownWindowsManually Not concerned w/ sweat causing damage? Personally I use beater IEMs at the gym but maybe I'm overly cautious about these things.

Yeah I'm concerned but 90% of my music time is during exercise and I plan to follow 64'S guidelines. My Futuresonics have held up pretty well for a year or so to a lot of sweat so I figured I'd try a more ToTL-ish CIEM.

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #5,321 of 23,684
Yeah I'm concerned but 90% of my music time is during exercise and I plan to follow 64'S guidelines. My Futuresonics have held up pretty well for a year or so to a lot of sweat so I figured I'd try a more ToTL-ish CIEM.

I cycle with my A12t and cycle and break tons of sweats.

1) Ears don't sweat internally, but the fluids will eventually find their way into your ear canals.
2) Without any maintenance, over time, the humidity and the corrosive nature of sweat will kill your earbuds and cable.
3) The best preventive measure is to use a hearing aid refresher every fortnight. https://teltex.com/serene-db-100/
4) After every workout vacuum the ports to remove any access liquid (Jodi Consumer Vacuum). Wipe the earbuds with a damp cloth to remove sweat residue.
5) Use a PVC coated cable. I'm not a fan of Moon Audio, but he's got an audiophile grade cables that's robust enough for the application. Check out the Black Dragon. Not pretty, but will last.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #5,322 of 23,684
The N8 sounds good. I used to be a 100% metal guy, but now I'm more like a 25% metal guy and I love hybrids because I think that most BA IEMs can't do sub bass well with a few exceptions, but I am considering the A12T this time around. I think it can do metal well (I hope). But I'll still read as much as I can about the N8 as I have always liked hybrids.

I like the clear look so that you can constantly admire the workmanship and see what's in there. But I am thinking of getting a koa wood option as I was born and raised in Hawaii into my late 20s except for college.

I was flip flopping between the N8 and the A12t before I ordered too. I'm glad I went with the N8 because I wouldn't want any less bass than what it has. It's the right amount for me, which is surprising, because that almost never happens in a blind purchase. I'm sure the A12t would be great in it's own ways too though.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #5,323 of 23,684
The reason I hesitate on getting the N8 isn’t because of the money needed to purchase it. I’m hesitant because of the door it opens if I was to get it. This hobby, as I’m sure you all know, is quite a rabbit hole. I like to try lots of different IEM and headphones. At this point, the hobby is almost collecting them. Of course all this is within a certain price range I’ve set for myself. I’m afraid that if I jump to the price range of the N8, I’m going to open up the door to a bunch of IEMs that I’ve been interested in but never got because they’re “out of my price range”. Then the next thing I know, I can only afford to eat cheap instant noodles because I have 20 pairs of 2k+ headphones =(

But I don’t know maybe I can have just one four digit priced IEM and have the willpower to keep it as one... but without being able to demo them here in the sf Bay Area, I’m not sure if I want to make that leap
you're right in believing the n8 could open a door, your wrong in believing it'll just end in 20 pairs of 2k+ headphones. I listened to my uncle's 2 channel system yesterday, I'm ****ed

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #5,324 of 23,684
you're right in believing the n8 could open a door, your wrong in believing it'll just end in 20 pairs of 2k+ headphones. I listened to my uncle's 2 channel system yesterday, I'm ****ed
That's why I avoid speaker shops in the hifi paradise that is Singapore

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #5,325 of 23,684
Hi, I am Kalani at 64 Audio!

I will reach out to you via PM to get some more information and help track down your order.
Hello Kalani, I put in an order for the N8 as well. I got in on the wood faceplate upgrade during the month of August but my ear impression was not made until last Saturday so I would be surprised if anything has been started on my order yet since it is probably still in transport from here in Hong Kong. This will be my first CIEM so I am a little anxious and can't wait to try it out with my recently purchased iBasso DX200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back