The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 6, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #9,886 of 23,668
I owned both the U18t and the A18t for some time and my impressions were in line with yours, but I feel like it has more to do with insertion depth/tip selection than the tuning of the U vs A

Possible. Frankly I am not really an IEM person, as I had fit problems with most of the universals out there. I used to carry around the Stellias as part of my portable setup- So, didn't do much experimenting with cables and tips.

And after I ordered the A18t, I was worried that the treble might be too much for longer listening and what I hear right now is well balanced and I can have them in my ears for hours. I think I might be just too spoiled. :D

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #9,887 of 23,668
Possible. Frankly I am not really an IEM person, as I had fit problems with most of the universals out there. I used to carry around the Stellias as part of my portable setup- So, didn't do much experimenting with cables and tips.

And after I ordered the A18t, I was worried that the treble might be too much for longer listening and what I hear right now is well balanced and I can have them in my ears for hours. I think I might be just too spoiled. :D
Aren’t we all :D

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #9,888 of 23,668
While not the A/U18t, I have the same experience between the A/U12t with the custom variant have more low-end and less high-end frequencies.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #9,889 of 23,668
I think 64 changing their U designs to accommodate for deeper insertion would be a good idea - their customs are some of the deeper insertion ones while the universals are on the much shallower end of the spectrum so the difference ends up being quite significant

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #9,890 of 23,668
I think 64 changing their U designs to accommodate for deeper insertion would be a good idea - their customs are some of the deeper insertion ones while the universals are on the much shallower end of the spectrum so the difference ends up being quite significant

The tia noir is like that!

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #9,892 of 23,668
Wow - reading through the thread I guess I'm lucky to get my N8s in just before the shutdown?

I got to sample the entire range of 64 products at CanJam NYC this year (as well as a couple of other CIEM makers' offerings) and decided on the N8s. I'm a sucker for a dynamic bass and was really only deciding between this, (the A12t kinda), or the JH Lolas - the Final A8000 was tempting too but alas no custom option.

AsHGf3Fl.jpg

Employing a "ghetto-rig" during the Great Lockdown of CoVID-19 with an ES100 into a Continental v5 porta-tube.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #9,893 of 23,668

If you do that, a lot of people will have fit issues. Problem is that our ear canals aren't shaped all the same. Especially with bulky IEMs where there really is only one angle of insertion, there'll be a lot of compromises. Etymotics though, you can pretty much angle that deeper or shallower as it's a tube.

One alternative you can try is triple flange tips: those go a fair bit deeper.

The tia noir is like that!

Aren't all the U-series shells the same?

Wow - reading through the thread I guess I'm lucky to get my N8s in just before the shutdown?

I got to sample the entire range of 64 products at CanJam NYC this year (as well as a couple of other CIEM makers' offerings) and decided on the N8s. I'm a sucker for a dynamic bass and was really only deciding between this, (the A12t kinda), or the JH Lolas - the Final A8000 was tempting too but alas no custom option.

AsHGf3Fl.jpg

Employing a "ghetto-rig" during the Great Lockdown of CoVID-19 with an ES100 into a Continental v5 porta-tube.

Good stuff: I personally was also tossing up between the N8 and A12t.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #9,894 of 23,668
@cathee how do you find your CIEMs to sound vs what you remember from Canjam? I know it was a while ago so probably hard to say

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #9,895 of 23,668
Nozzle is too long? Not the problem. Just find an o ring of your choice. Now you can tune the length to suit your eartips.

Munkong-Gadget-Topic-Reply-1523625590-800x600.jpg

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #9,896 of 23,668
I got a similarly bad fit with it as I did with all other 64 Us tbh

Me ai have no issues with my fit.
Actually all 64a universal do fit me the best among all iems I tried.

64a is light sits tight and deep in my ears. It is the reason why for me thankfully no need to go custom as I get the perfect fit.

I use comply foams they add more grip and never slips out the bores either. Very comfortable in feel.

I always loved 64a for the comfort sound quality and technology. I believe 64a is the best iem brand on the market!

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #9,897 of 23,668
If you do that, a lot of people will have fit issues. Problem is that our ear canals aren't shaped all the same. Especially with bulky IEMs where there really is only one angle of insertion, there'll be a lot of compromises. Etymotics though, you can pretty much angle that deeper or shallower as it's a tube.

One alternative you can try is triple flange tips: those go a fair bit deeper.

Aren't all the U-series shells the same?

The new tia forte noir. Is similar to all U but it has slightly maybe by 1 millimeter angle difference and bore is slightly longer to.

Also the finish is very slippery as a result the ear tips slide of easier. The finish is to show the unique iem look. It does look and feel very premium!

Noir is all build by hand it is why I guess the finish is different dont know.

Yea bore is slightly narrower maybe? Not sure.

What I can say it does work and sounds phenomenal!
Love it way more over the regular 1. Tia trio my previously all time best iem is nothing in comparison cant go back.

Once back to trio from noir there is a feeling of something huge missing in the middle frequency like a gap of a big diving clief. Like where did the mids go ?

Noir has a massive bass, not in slam but something like in between mdr-z1r and hd820.
Also supremely deep, very nuanced and detailed nothing is missing seriously. You do feel that is a very high caliber sound it can blast very powerful sound of its there.

Treble is unique very pleasant and absolutely not fatiguing. It has a touch of an electrostat but feels thick wety, very unusual I never heard that kind of treble sparkles anywhere else.
Its between trio sparkly metallic zing and a natural electrostatic headphone . Hard to explain but very pleasant.

Mids are very detailed and has good presence no lack of anything in this section either. It does feel very forward sounding.

The original tia fourte was to U shaped in sound and I couldn't get along with this. Noir is dom shaped and everything is blasting high. No need to squise your ears to hear that faint little sound far away lol

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #9,898 of 23,668
The new tia forte noir. Is similar to all U but it has slightly maybe by 1 millimeter angle difference and bore is slightly longer to.

Also the finish is very slippery as a result the ear tips slide of easier. The finish is to show the unique iem look. It does look and feel very premium!

Noir is all build by hand it is why I guess the finish is different dont know.

Yea bore is slightly narrower maybe? Not sure.

What I can say it does work and sounds phenomenal!
Love it way more over the regular 1. Tia trio my previously all time best iem is nothing in comparison cant go back.

Once back to trio from noir there is a feeling of something huge missing in the middle frequency like a gap of a big diving clief. Like where did the mids go ?

Noir has a massive bass, not in slam but something like in between mdr-z1r and hd820.
Also supremely deep, very nuanced and detailed nothing is missing seriously. You do feel that is a very high caliber sound it can blast very powerful sound of its there.

Treble is unique very pleasant and absolutely not fatiguing. It has a touch of an electrostat but feels thick wety, very unusual I never heard that kind of treble sparkles anywhere else.
Its between trio sparkly metallic zing and a natural electrostatic headphone . Hard to explain but very pleasant.

Mids are very detailed and has good presence no lack of anything in this section either. It does feel very forward sounding.

The original tia fourte was to U shaped in sound and I couldn't get along with this. Noir is dom shaped and everything is blasting high. No need to squise your ears to hear that faint little sound far away lol

Would you say the Tia Fourte Noir is completely different from the regular Tia Fourte? I tried the normal one and I wasn't a fan of it: somewhere the tonality was off compared to the U18t and U12t.

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #9,899 of 23,668

Yeah, really enjoyed the clarity on the A12t, but the bass just couldn't compare.

@cathee how do you find your CIEMs to sound vs what you remember from Canjam? I know it was a while ago so probably hard to say

Yeah I read about this when I was waiting for my N8s and was a little concerned, but I haven't noticed any significant differences worth mentioning.

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #9,900 of 23,668
Yeah, really enjoyed the clarity on the A12t, but the bass just couldn't compare.

Yeah I read about this when I was waiting for my N8s and was a little concerned, but I haven't noticed any significant differences worth mentioning.

That's the thing: I reckon the A12t's bass is already on the edge of too much, and the N8 takes it to another level!

Truly a basshead's dream IEM. I reckon it easily eclipses the Solaris on that front at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back