The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Jan 31, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #95 of 312
  Let me ask you guys,   What ear pads are you all using on your 325e's?

I have the 325is, not the e, but the old version is supposed to be even brighter. I have tinnitus as well. To tame the crazy treble I use the flat pads instead of the stock V-cups and that did a lot to tame some of the really high peaks and it improved comfort for me. I agree that you should wait until they are fully burnt in to really evaluate them. They calm down quite a bit.

The other thing I can say is that they love a warmer amp/DAC. I have a Fiio E18 that they pair super well with. My Bifrost/Asgard and Modi/Magni sound great with them, too, but the Fiio product mellows them out so much more. You miss out on accuracy and soundstage, but it's still a nice experience with lots of punch and energy.

I can understand wanting to sell them, though. There are way better options for guys with tinnitus. The LCD-2 gets 95% of my head time now and I think a big reason is because of tinnitus.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #96 of 312
  I have the 325is, not the e, but the old version is supposed to be even brighter. I have tinnitus as well. To tame the crazy treble I use the flat pads instead of the stock V-cups and that did a lot to tame some of the really high peaks and it improved comfort for me. I agree that you should wait until they are fully burnt in to really evaluate them. They calm down quite a bit.

The other thing I can say is that they love a warmer amp/DAC. I have a Fiio E18 that they pair super well with. My Bifrost/Asgard and Modi/Magni sound great with them, too, but the Fiio product mellows them out so much more. You miss out on accuracy and soundstage, but it's still a nice experience with lots of punch and energy.

I can understand wanting to sell them, though. There are way better options for guys with tinnitus. The LCD-2 gets 95% of my head time now and I think a big reason is because of tinnitus.

Just ordered some G-Cushions to try them out. I have an extra pair of L-Cushions that I purchased for my SR80e's that I may try the e-Tape on but I'm not sure yet.  I am the same with my LCD-3's they are mostly what I use and my x00's for other genres.   

I have them up for sell on here but I still don't know yet.  

I missed out getting the Fiio E18 cheap on mass drop but I could just get one on amazon.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #97 of 312

Just ordered some G-Cushions to try them out. I have an extra pair of L-Cushions that I purchased for my SR80e's that I may try the e-Tape on but I'm not sure yet.  I am the same with my LCD-3's they are mostly what I use and my x00's for other genres.   

I missed out getting the Fiio E18 cheap on mass drop but I could just get one on amazon.

If you have the Mojo I don't think it would be worth it to get an E18 as well just to make the 325e sound a little better. I've heard wonderful things about the Mojo. The E18 is pretty awesome for what it does, and the bass boost is fantastic with Grados, but the Mojo has to have it beat.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #98 of 312

The G-cushion will if anything make the treble even more. The G-cush reduce bass and add soundstage. The S-cushion might be more for you because it increases bass and tames treble a bit. Basically the further you are from the driver = less bass + bigger soundstage. However the S-cushion can get quite warm after longer listeing sessions.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #99 of 312

The G-cushion will if anything make the treble even more. The G-cush reduce bass and add soundstage. The S-cushion might be more for you because it increases bass and tames treble a bit. Basically the further you are from the driver = less bass + bigger soundstage. However the S-cushion can get quite warm after longer listeing sessions.

yeah I do enjoy the S-Cushions  cool Ill cancel that Cushion order then lol  I

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #101 of 312
The G cushions would indeed make treble even worse. As soon as I put the S cushions on it was a big difference in treble pain for me. I can't handle the uncovered drivers, they're just too intense.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #102 of 312
So I owned the 325is a few years back and I had to sell them because they were just too bright. I read that the 325e are not as bright and piecing as their predecessor, so I bought a new pair six months ago (or whenever... time flies). Well, the e series are almost every bit as bright, but I stuck with them. I decided to try the tape mod the other day, a simple wrap of electrical tape around the outside of each ear pad, and I think I've found my new favorite headphone! The edge has definitely been taken off the high end without any loss in detail, and the bass is more prominent without being boomy. It's still tight and controlled. These things just rip through all the crazy, intense music I enjoy without ripping through my ears while they are doing it. The only downside is a slight decrease in sound stage, but I listen to metal with them, so I don't really care about sound stage. They sound awesome!

If you're having trouble with the highs give it a try. If you don't like it, simply take the tape off and forget I ever wrote this.

I think you guys just rekindled my love for my 325. I dont know if it tamed the highs so much as balanced the lows, but it sounds incredible. Electrical tape! Who knew!?

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #104 of 312
Mar 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #105 of 312
I got a lightly used set of 325e a few weeks ago, and it was clear to me immediately that I wanted new pads. I had owned the 225i in the past, and I could just tell I wasn't getting the best out of the 325e with the stock pads.

It was a bit hard to wrap my head around paying $30 for foam (I hesitated for at least 30 seconds), but after a week I have to say I can't imagine any pads better than the TTVJ pads. Amazing how much better the 325e sounds to me with those installed - more punch with no loss of detail or soundstage. They are a bit more comfortable to me than the stock pads, and it seems the foam quality is on par with the stock pads as well. Should last a long time. Highly recommended. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back