The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Mar 1, 2007 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 666

pablobaluba

100+ Head-Fier
i don't know if this has been posted before
icon10.gif
. i'm a newbie in this domain and i think i will have a lot to learn from a thread like this.
i'm sure ya'll audiophiles in here know a lot of models and listened to a lot too, so there surely must be HEADPHONES that you consider OVERRATED. this thread will probably start also controversy

lambda.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 666
As if anyone had the officially authoritative and universally valid ears to tell others that they have the wrong preference and sonic ideal...
rolleyes.gif

This thread is obsolete.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 666
I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned bose lol

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The current FOTM.

.....whenever it happens to happen.

Right now it's the Prolines. I have the 2500s (with the per-thead requisite burn-in hours plus completed). They sound good and, like most headphones in that price range, do a lot right, but imo, they're not the end-all-be-all that folks are making them out to be. I listened to them almost exclusively for a couple weeks to get used to their supposed unique sound. When I went switched up to my K340s, it was no contest: the K340s blew them away. I'm not giving up on them yet, but FOTM buyers beware.

Also, MS1s. I bought them used after reading posts for months. Not worth the price. I happily traded mine for a switchbox. SR-60s are cheaper and, to my ears, as good for that sound. I'll probably pick up another pair one day as my boss made me sell him mine.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 666
Gotta remember that for european headfiers MS-1s are actually cheaper than SR-60. So for us they really aren't overpriced imo.

Now that I got started I could give my vote to Grados in Europe. RS-1 cost 1200€ (almost 1600$) in my local hifi-store. Now THAT'S overpriced IMHO
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Also Porta Pro, boomy and bloated
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back