The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #4,936 of 11,341

Here is my take:

1) This looks like real leather, feels like it , with all the natural inconsistencies of leather.

2) This is vinyl/composite. It's consistency and tensile properties help to keep the shape of the pad tightly around the plastic frame.

3) This is either leatherette or similar, but not the same material as (1). It is much softer to the touch, even fragile. I would guess that it was chosen to dampen the reflections within the inner cavity of the diaphragm chamber; but that's just a guess.

My serial number is 2 digits.

From my experience with ear pads this pad is not only OK but excellent design. The pads are leather, that's where most friction happens. The flap (2) is best a resilient and shape keeper material. The lower part (3) needs to be softer for better sealing, but not much friction happens there, unless you take it off too often.

So from all accounts, comfort, durability, sound, so far this looks good. The pads filling matters a lot, too, and will affect bass a lot, especially with what looks to be an Onken loading for the driver, in the best Fostex and Sony tradition.

If my learnings from modding the TH900 apply, I would try to affect sound primarily by cups filling and pads filling. If you prefer less boom with lighter sound, use memory foam. If you want less boom, deep extension and bigger sound stage, use a flatter and narrower carbon foam filling. The shape you find in the TH900 mods thread.

However, I would be reluctant to do changes to this phone, with spare parts so expensive, in the consistent Sony tradition :).

I don’t see why this headphone should cost much more than the TH900, probably it will end up around that.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4,937 of 11,341
No, the pads on the Z1R is authentic Lamb Leathers that comes from different regions, and handpicked out. The band is authentic Cow hide for reliability and longevity. The Pads even went through hand picked inspections after finished productions. Please read up more about the Z1R interviews and the ways it was made before making wrong assumptions

+1 
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #4,938 of 11,341
From my experience with ear pads this pad is not only OK but excellent design. The pads are leather, that's where most friction happens. The flap (2) is best a resilient and shape keeper material. The lower part (3) needs to be softer for better sealing, but not much friction happens there, unless you take it off too often.

So from all accounts, comfort, durability, sound, so far this looks good. The pads filling matters a lot, too, and will affect bass a lot, especially with what looks to be an Onken loading for the driver, in the best Fostex and Sony tradition.

If my learnings from modding the TH900 apply, I would try to affect sound primarily by cups filling and pads filling. If you prefer less boom with lighter sound, use memory foam. If you want less boom, deep extension and bigger sound stage, use a flatter and narrower carbon foam filling. The shape you find in the TH900 mods thread.

However, I would be reluctant to do changes to this phone, with spare parts so expensive, in the consistent Sony tradition
smily_headphones1.gif

I don’t see why this headphone should cost much more than the TH900, probably it will end up around that.

Very interesting, do you have a page where you detail your TH900 mods perchance?  

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #4,939 of 11,341
  Very interesting, do you have a page where you detail your TH900 mods perchance?  

Off-topic here, but anyway. http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods
And Whitigir's thread for easier mods: http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles 

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #4,940 of 11,341
I also have Ether Flows, which has more forward lush mids?
I know the Ether for sure is brighter

I would say personally mids is where they differ the least. The Z1R is slightly more forward but the biggest difference is the increase bass impact and smoother (but not really less detailed) treble of the Z1R compared to the Ether Flow.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #4,944 of 11,341
I wore mine for 6 hours last night with no discomfort at all. I guess you must have an atypical shaped/sized head :frowning2: 

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #4,945 of 11,341
I would say personally mids is where they differ the least. The Z1R is slightly more forward but the biggest difference is the increase bass impact and smoother (but not really less detailed) treble of the Z1R compared to the Ether Flow.

oo man, this is shaping up to be what I want to be.
I've always wanted a little more forwardness in the mids for the Ether.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #4,947 of 11,341
I wear it for 4 hours straight and it is fine, unless I wear it backward then the headband and the cups just won't fit

Good catch!

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #4,948 of 11,341
After some more hours of listening to many genres I am noticing that the Sonys are very sensitive to recording and mastering quality and genres of music sic.
I find them superb on well mastered (intimate vocals) acoustic material, jazz and classical music, and a bit less involving with pop electronic music.
Anyone agrees?

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #4,950 of 11,341
After some more hours of listening to many genres I am noticing that the Sonys are very sensitive to recording and mastering quality and genres of music sic.
I find them superb on well mastered (intimate vocals) acoustic material, jazz and classical music, and a bit less involving with pop electronic music.
Anyone agrees?

We all respond differently of course, but there is an area of the treble that is rolled back slightly, and it seems to remove some "bite" that I found around the edges of synthesizers and electric guitar. Perhaps for you this bite is an area where you get a little more feeling of liveliness. This conversely will be a good thing for those who might have a sensitivity to this frequency area. I am in between these positions where this "bite" region is concerned. I can notice the absence on some material in places, but it doesn't have much of an impact on me beyond noticing the difference. I first really became aware of these edges, at least acutely aware no surprise here, when I had my 800S, and also with the ONKYO A800 for that matter.

The slight smoothness I think is at times a plus, and at times a minus, but from my perspective at either extreme it has a fairly small impact and the tonal balance of the Z1R taken as a whole is superb, but I would be lying if I didn't notice this signature characteristic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back