The "One" Headphone.
Oct 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, haven't posted in quite a while.

I'm looking for some input; I'm searching for "the one" - one pair of cans to replace everything.

Basically what I want it to do:

- Be a K701 with more isolation* and bass (changing nothing else)
and/or
- Be a KH-K1000 with more soundstage and detail (changing nothing else)
and/or
- Be a super-duper HD580 (the HD580 sits "between" the above, and does neither side perfectly as a result)

From what I've been able to piece together, the Victor DX 1000 is probably that headphone, but I'm interested in getting some input on the DX1000 vs the K701 (or K1000, but I realize this one is somewhat more obscure). I'm also interested in what kind of difference there is between the DX1000 and DX700 (which is about half the price of the 1000). I've also found that the ATH-W5000 comes back in terms of what I'm looking for, but I've read some fairly polarizing views (some reviews, like the 6moons review, would lead me to believe that it will be "the one;" others lead me to believe I'll hate it). Any others I should look at? (W1000X? T5? T70?)

* The isolation here doesn't need to be world-numbing, but a bit more rejection of ambient noise over the K701s or HD580s would be nice; the KH-K1000's are more than isolated enough, some more common examples of "good enough" in that regard would include the Denon D2000 and Bose AE2 (bloody microphonic though).

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 14
i'm not sure i can cross-reference your requirements based on all those headphones, and arrive at a recommendation.
i feel reasonably sure that might be a problem for several folks hoping to help -   that they haven't heard every headphone on your list.  therefore, don't know how to gauge what is more detail than the kenwood headphone?  or what is a more isolating headphone than the K701?

anyway...  i think i get the gist of it, though.  and, i would suggest the beyerdynamic T1.
it is only marginally more isolating than the K701.  however, you realize that you're not going to get K701 soundstage from a headphone that blocks out the outside world.  that open design is part of the reason the K701 sounds as expansive as it does.
but, again, the T1 doesn't sound as artificially wide as the K701, and is slightly easier to enjoy in an average noisy environment (wife watching TV in the next room, for example).

the T1 has more bass than the K701, for sure.  and overall, a much better sound.  well, when amp and source are up to task, of course.
and if they are not, then you'll be in for a tough go, as i was for a while with my T1...

anyway... best of luck!

beerchug.gif

The wuss

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 14
Ah, I was assuming at least two out of three of my list were fairly common; figured the Kenwood would get knocked off in the first round though (the idea was that one could at least hit one out of the three, not be able to triangulate; I think you got that).

And yeah, I know I'll lose some of the staging, I've yet to hear (or even read about) something that can replicate the K701's soundstage (except a K701, K702, or Q701). Happy middle-ground is where I'm aiming.

I think we're on the right track regarding isolation though. Any reason on the T1 over the T5?

On the note of the T1:
How does the T1 handle movies? Vocal music? Trance? Any genres it doesn't play nicely with?

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 14
T1 plays well with all types of music.  and, as far as the T5 - i haven't heard it.
but, i hear that it is a pretty love/hate headphone for most who have...

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 14
X2 on the HD-800. Why isn't it on your list?

I also think the K-1000 would fit your needs. Though if you want an improvement over the K-701, just get a K-501. They sell for $100-$150 or so and they sound much better than a K-701 and have great soundstage. Extremely comfortable, too.

If I were you, I'd probably pair a K-501 with a nice transformer-coupled tube amp. It'd sound terrific.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 14
Price and lack of information, mostly. Got any good reviews? (Or, just briefly: how do they compare to the SA5000 (or K701, but if I recall correctly, you're not a K701 fan)) 
I'm basically curious as to why the HD 800 is coming up based on what I've mentioned (what qualities does it exemplify that I hit on?); most of the reading I've done indicates the W5000 and DX1000 to have very large soundstages and good detail retrieval while being somewhat isolating and comfortable. That seems to be more "there", but there seems to be differing opinions on the W5000's bass and the DX1000's midrange though (and they're fairly dramatic - some mention the W5000 as being an across the board improvement from the SA5000, and having plenty of bass, others mention it as being more anemic than the K701 on a bad day, for example). The HD 800 hasn't been mentioned (but I'm not claiming to have read everything by any means), the Beyers come up occasionally. So I'm a bit curious as to what I hit on that brought them up so rapidly and with so much gusto.

I'm increasingly skeptical of higher priced headphones - the DX1000s are probably the base level of "silly expensive" in my book (given that the GSKs were nothing special to justify double the money, and the same can be said about the higher up Denons and (current production) Sonys). 

And any reason we love tubes with the K501? 

Spitballing (and I'm guessing the answer is "no") - Any stats (since we're into that price league now) that would be worth mention? Would it be worth waiting for W3000ANV reviews to trickle out? (Or is the AT house sound so incredibly dis-joint from what I'm looking for that it should just be avoided?)
Quote:
X2 on the HD-800. Why isn't it on your list?
I also think the K-1000 would fit your needs. Though if you want an improvement over the K-701, just get a K-501. They sell for $100-$150 or so and they sound much better than a K-701 and have great soundstage. Extremely comfortable, too.
If I were you, I'd probably pair a K-501 with a nice transformer-coupled tube amp. It'd sound terrific.

::EDIT

The Stereophile review of the HD800 doesn't really amp me up about the $1500 price tag.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
. . . why the HD 800 is coming up based on what I've mentioned (what qualities does it exemplify that I hit on?) . . .

The repeated references to soundstage and detail. This is where the HD 800 excels.  It is overall fairly neutral and sounds good with all genres.  

Given your stated preferences, closed does not appear to be a good option.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 14
DX1000 - LOL!

Keep it cheap, get a DT880-600 Manufaktur. More expensive than that and the price to performance ratio starts to go up too much.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 14
Price and lack of information, mostly. Got any good reviews? (Or, just briefly: how do they compare to the SA5000 (or K701, but if I recall correctly, you're not a K701 fan)) 
I'm basically curious as to why the HD 800 is coming up based on what I've mentioned (what qualities does it exemplify that I hit on?); most of the reading I've done indicates the W5000 and DX1000 to have very large soundstages and good detail retrieval while being somewhat isolating and comfortable. That seems to be more "there", but there seems to be differing opinions on the W5000's bass and the DX1000's midrange though (and they're fairly dramatic - some mention the W5000 as being an across the board improvement from the SA5000, and having plenty of bass, others mention it as being more anemic than the K701 on a bad day, for example). The HD 800 hasn't been mentioned (but I'm not claiming to have read everything by any means), the Beyers come up occasionally. So I'm a bit curious as to what I hit on that brought them up so rapidly and with so much gusto.

I'm increasingly skeptical of higher priced headphones - the DX1000s are probably the base level of "silly expensive" in my book (given that the GSKs were nothing special to justify double the money, and the same can be said about the higher up Denons and (current production) Sonys). 

And any reason we love tubes with the K501? 

Spitballing (and I'm guessing the answer is "no") - Any stats (since we're into that price league now) that would be worth mention? Would it be worth waiting for W3000ANV reviews to trickle out? (Or is the AT house sound so incredibly dis-joint from what I'm looking for that it should just be avoided?)

::EDIT

The Stereophile review of the HD800 doesn't really amp me up about the $1500 price tag.

I would hardly use Stereophile as my sole source of information about the HD800. Although they may be polarizing they justly deserve their place among the top tier headphones. Head-Fi is a wealthy resource. I'd read the reviews and impressions about them before passing judgment. Better yet, try and audition them with a proper rig.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 14
Well i have to say, i still love the DX1000 and was listening to it last night.  It does isolate too, that said, it doesn't have the soundstage or detail removal of the 800s.  If you were to go higher priced you should a/b the DX1000 against the ED8, i was surprised at the level of the Ed8 in comparison to them....but the price is a bit prohibitory.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 14
i am familiar with the phones that mention, and as much as i love the dx1000 (i prefer it to both the edition 9 and l3000, for example) it's a more colored, though enjoyably so, phone than either the 701 or senn 580/600/650, and probably more so than the kenwood too. the t1, that someone mentioned, might be a fair approximation of what you're looking for.
i'd recommend attending a meet if you can. where are you located(it's useful to fill out your profile). there are meets in ny & chicago this wknd.

here is Kee's take on the kh-k1000 vs the dx1000: http://www.head-fi.org/t/344543/kenwood-kh-k1000/60#post_4528619
and troymadison comparing the same two cans: http://www.head-fi.org/t/344543/kenwood-kh-k1000/90#post_4548179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back