The PENON official thread
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #61 of 13,911
Ordered mine just now. Let's find out when I receive mine.
My daily driver is the Sora. i looked around, asked around & it's really, really tough to supersede this gem. It tonally sounds like that american IEM, w/ a small stage of course, less clear in the mids. But hey, it was only jpy. 2,500+ems shipping! To compare, or to match it w/ that usd1,800++iem is of course absurd.
In realistic terms, the Orb, if it sounds like a usd.600 IEM, then it should be great value for money...

It dont sound like a $600 IEM. Lets not spread any statements like that. But I did compare it with FDX1 which was at one point $400 plus dollars when it came out. Blessing 2 is a $330 earphone. Orb hangs with anything in the price range and has arguably the best bass out of the 3.

I know the idea of a shiny new IEM is always appealing but I think it really comes down to what type of sound you prefer. It is a very musical take on the hybrid sound meaning. It will have some bass infused in your music and to be honest I grew up going to concerts and I dont ever recall live music having a lack of bass. Everything from metal to hip hop even church events. No bass means no soul. Lol

So the real difference of having something like a Blessing 2 where you have 4 BAs + Dynamic. Vs Orb with its single BA + Dynamic
You get precision with more BAs and better instrument separation which is the benefit of using more BAs. What is a bit of a head scratcher here is IMO moondrop could have used a 5th BA for the bass with exact same impact and extension. Infact I have some Tansio Mirai earphones with more impact in the bass which uses all BAs for their designs. What is the point of putting in a larger dynamic in the design when you purposefully detune the bass? It is a part of that design. I still like the blessing2 a lot for what it is but they could have easily taken out that dynamic and used a smaller more isolating housing actually.

Orb uses a projection method from the single BA. and uses both drivers to the best mix possible. This method of tuning to each drivers strength is clearly evident on the Orbs. Bass dynamic sounds like a high quality Bass. The full range single BA sounds encompassing with no lack of detail. They did more with less. I would imagine it is more difficult yet more masterful to tune less drivers and that is what Penon has done.

I have cheaper hybrids that has 7 BAs with a dynamic and I would take this Orbs tuning any day of the week. So again that saying just because you have more BAs don't really mean much. It all depends on how well the BAs are implemented and tuned.

Jun 13, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #62 of 13,911
@Dsnuts and @audio123, thanks for your impressions. I am interested in the Orb but I do not want much duplication of fairly similar sound signatures. Would you mind comparing the Orb with the DK-2001 as they have similar make ups, multiple BA plus DD?

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #63 of 13,911
Make it 5 - Aroma Ace, Custom Art FIBAE 7, Campfire Andromeda MW10, Dunu Luna, Acoustune HS1695 Ti. Of course, I have other flagship IEMs that I like too. I won't compare the Orb to them as it is just not in the same league. For the Orb, it presents very good value. Cheers!

What a collection !!! There are a couple names in your top five that I din’t even know about it!! Is like you are getting stuff from the future!! Nice!!!

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #64 of 13,911
It dont sound like a $600 IEM. Lets not spread any statements like that. But I did compare it with FDX1 which was at one point $400 plus dollars when it came out. Blessing 2 is a $330 earphone. Orb hangs with anything in the price range and has arguably the best bass out of the 3.

I know the idea of a shiny new IEM is always appealing but I think it really comes down to what type of sound you prefer. It is a very musical take on the hybrid sound meaning. It will have some bass infused in your music and to be honest I grew up going to concerts and I dont ever recall live music having a lack of bass. Everything from metal to hip hop even church events. No bass means no soul. Lol

So the real difference of having something like a Blessing 2 where you have 4 BAs + Dynamic. Vs Orb with its single BA + Dynamic
You get precision with more BAs and better instrument separation which is the benefit of using more BAs. What is a bit of a head scratcher here is IMO moondrop could have used a 5th BA for the bass with exact same impact and extension. Infact I have some Tansio Mirai earphones with more impact in the bass which uses all BAs for their designs. What is the point of putting in a larger dynamic in the design when you purposefully detune the bass? It is a part of that design. I still like the blessing2 a lot for what it is but they could have easily taken out that dynamic and used a smaller more isolating housing actually.

Orb uses a projection method from the single BA. and uses both drivers to the best mix possible. This method of tuning to each drivers strength is clearly evident on the Orbs. Bass dynamic sounds like a high quality Bass. The full range single BA sounds encompassing with no lack of detail. They did more with less. I would imagine it is more difficult yet more masterful to tune less drivers and that is what Penon has done.

I have cheaper hybrids that has 7 BAs with a dynamic and I would take this Orbs tuning any day of the week. So again that saying just because you have more BAs don't really mean much. It all depends on how well the BAs are implemented and tuned.
I listen most of the time to “old” electronic music, things like Vangelis, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, etc. and some 20 century classics and Prog Rock just to vary a bit.
I was never an IEM guy, just a couple of cheap Chi fi for some moments of need, but this year and all the chaos is pushing me away from desktop rig and forcing me toward IEM. I do have Audeze lcd i3 and I’m super happy with them, but they don’t give isolation and they limit a lot the amount of movement you can do without losing the proper fit . That’s why I wanna keep the budget in the $300’s ( my best cheapo right now is CCA-C16).
@Dsnuts do you think the Orb could be to bassy for my preferences ?? DK 2001 was also in my list before finding about Orb, their cable looks awesome!!!
I really love the size of the Orb!!
Thanks for the info about the promo code!! How much is the discount ??

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #65 of 13,911
@Dsnuts and @audio123, thanks for your impressions. I am interested in the Orb but I do not want much duplication of fairly similar sound signatures. Would you mind comparing the Orb with the DK-2001 as they have similar make ups, multiple BA plus DD?
I had a quick listen. In brief, for the bass, the Orb has greater punch while the DK-2001 has quicker bass decay. Moving on to the midrange, the Orb is richer sounding and vocals are more upfront. The DK-2001 has a leaner presentation. For the treble, DK2001 is more vivid while Orb is smoother sounding. Lastly, Orb has a fuller and bigger soundstage. Cheers! :)

What a collection !!! There are a couple names in your top five that I din’t even know about it!! Is like you are getting stuff from the future!! Nice!!!
Yea :beyersmile:

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #66 of 13,911
I had a quick listen. In brief, for the bass, the Orb has greater punch while the DK-2001 has quicker bass decay. Moving on to the midrange, the Orb is richer sounding and vocals are more upfront. The DK-2001 has a leaner presentation. For the treble, DK2001 is more vivid while Orb is smoother sounding. Lastly, Orb has a fuller and bigger soundstage. Cheers! :)

Thanks Dsnuts for the impression. More bang for the buck seems to be Penon’s forte. Bravo!
& Cheers

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #67 of 13,911
Thanks Dsnuts for the impression. More bang for the buck seems to be Penon’s forte. Bravo!
& Cheers
Not sure if you quoted the right post but yea I agree with @Dsnuts impressions too.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #68 of 13,911
This one is not a clinical or analytical sound but they do the one thing that is the sole reason why we are in the hobby.

That is to get you into your music. We throw around audiophile jargon all the time to describe a sound and when mentioning the word musical. The Orb might have to be right there in that description.

I remember when Sony came out with their very first hybrid the XBA-H3. I was so excited to hear them as it was Sony !. Only to get an extremely V signature with some peaky treble recessed mids and not so great of bass. In hind sight I bet it was a tester for their higher end hybrids. You guy aren't gonna get a XBA-H3 experience I can guarantee you that.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #69 of 13,911
How natural is the treble tonality of the BA? Especially with crash cymbals etc. Is it splashy, metallic, tinny, sharp, overly boosted etc?

Is the Orb fatiguing for long listening sessions?

Is the sound more analytical, or smooth and organic?

Would you describe it as warm or cold?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #70 of 13,911
Not sure if you quoted the right post but yea I agree with @Dsnuts impressions too.
Yeah, you’re right. Thanks! I’m enjoying the Sphere, and the Orb seems like a logical step up...Cheers

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #71 of 13,911

This one is not a clinical or analytical sound but they do the one thing that is the sole reason why we are in the hobby.

That is to get you into your music. We throw around audiophile jargon all the time to describe a sound and when mentioning the word musical. The Orb might have to be right there in that description.

I remember when Sony came out with their very first hybrid the XBA-H3. I was so excited to hear them as it was Sony !. Only to get an extremely V signature with some peaky treble recessed mids and not so great of bass. In hind sight I bet it was a tester for their higher end hybrids. You guy aren't gonna get a XBA-H3 experience I can guarantee you that.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts. The Orb sounds like a wonderful IEM, especially for the price.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #72 of 13,911
How natural is the treble tonality of the BA? Especially with crash cymbals etc. Is it splashy, metallic, tinny, sharp, overly boosted etc?

Is the Orb fatiguing for long listening sessions?

Is the sound more analytical, or smooth and organic?

Would you describe it as warm or cold?

Thanks
It is natural with crash cymbals, crisp yet smooth. Not fatiguing at all. Smooth and organic. Warmer side of things. Cheers.

Yeah, you’re right. Thanks! I’m enjoying the Sphere, and the Orb seems like a logical step up...Cheers
Yea definitely. The Sphere is very impressive for a single BA to start off with. Glad to see you enjoying it. With an additional DD, the Orb brings greater dynamics and it is more musical. Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts. The Orb sounds like a wonderful IEM, especially for the price.
No problem. The Orb is seriously a gem of an IEM. I quote @Dsnuts "This one is not a clinical or analytical sound but they do the one thing that is the sole reason why we are in the hobby. That is to get you into your music. We throw around audiophile jargon all the time to describe a sound and when mentioning the word musical. The Orb might have to be right there in that description". Spot-on statement.

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #74 of 13,911
Same as pr0b3r but I will compare to the D10 and not the H40 :)

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #75 of 13,911
1592231963091.png
All day yesterday I was doing this. Guess what I was using to protect my ears. Lol

Isolation is just awesome on these things. And they can be used to protect your ears from loud sawing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back