The PERFECT digital AUDIO player.......
Mar 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
***DISCLAIMER***These are my initial impressions and I'll update this once I spend more time listening and comparing.***DISCLAIMER***

I joined head-fi a long time ago. While I might not have been among the very first, I have been here a long, long time.

When I joined I already had a portable rig. In fact, I had two. One consisted of a mini CD player and some Coby earbuds. My main rig consisted of an RCA Lyra player with a whopping 256MB flash card and those same Coby earbuds. I was happy. My father, who has always loved music, gifted me a pair of Sony earbuds that were a clear upgrade to those Coby buds. I was really happy. I then upgraded to one of the first Zen players with a HUGE 20GB drive and those same Sony buds.

When I got a job, I was finally able to afford an iPod...again...with those awesome Sony buds. Soon after, I joined head-fi. The Sony buds became Shure E3's and my journey continued and climaxed with my portable rig consisting of a RSA Hornet, UE-10's, an ALO Cotton LOD and my iPOD 5.5G.

Five years later and my iPOD is dying out on me. It stalls and sometimes, doesn't play music at all. I was sad.
frown.gif
The economy isn't exactly welcoming me to buy a nice new iTouch 64GB model or anything else that's rather fancy. Thus I started from square one and began doing my research. I wanted a player with decent battery life (6 - 10 hours minimum), portable, that could play FLAC and above all - that had great sound quality.

My research landed me with several contenders and I managed to try out a few of them over the past few weeks. After much going back and forth I decided upon a Sansa.

But which one?

The Fuze was a clear winner. Nice battery life, it can play FLAC, great sound quality, video capability was nice, nice UI. However, I didn't really need the video function as I rarely used it on my iPod 5.5G. Enter..The Clip+. Same sound quality...tiny form factor...awesome portability...awesome sound...decent battery life...AWESOME!

I purchased my Clip+ based upon my needs and mostly based upon the sound quality. Being a cheapskate, I opted for the cheapest shipping price and began to wait.

During the wait ROCKBOX became available for the Clip+. I began to read about it while patiently waiting for my Clip+.

Yesterday, my Clip+ arrived and I immediately Rockboxed it, configured it...listened to it...configured it some more and listened some more. Installed DFKT's theme and continued to tweak and listen.

The result looks just like DFTK's:

http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...s/_MG_9684.jpg

The verdict...perfection. The sound quality with FLAT EQ is just fantastic. With a little EQ, it's absolute perfection for me. The interface now plays all the major codecs I use, it has cuesheet support and even some cool little games. While the Rockbox firmware is far from final, it's rather good at this point in time.

If you're looking for a perfect little DAP that is portable, easy to use and that has amazing sound quality, don't hesitate to get a Clip+. I had high expectations but this little player has exceeded them all.

If any of you would like my custom settings for a Rockbox'd Clip+, PM me and I'll fill you in.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 59
Hi LFF, I had my mind set on buying a westone 2 as an upgrade to Klipsch X10 IEM, which until now I considered the best I have heard regrading portable audio. I'm far from being an audiophile but love music, and quite new to this amazing and exciting IEM world!! (kudos to Head-fi!!)
Well, after reading your review I made my mind on purchasing DBA-02 from Fischer Audio. I wonder if switching from Ipod 5 gen to Sansa Cilp+ would give an improvement soundwise!!
thank you very much!
Jose

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 59
Hi Jose,
I find that the Sansa Clip+ does indeed sound better than any iPod. However, to get it to sound it's best you will need to Rockbox it and I would recommend an amp as well.

The DBA-02 will definitely show you the differences between equipment set-ups. It's a fantastic IEM.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 59
is rockbox stable on clip+ ? site notes that usb isnt running?
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

@jose
cheapest but useable headphone amp is: Fiio E5 -> later DIY opamp based candy amp's aka CMOY (could be found on ebay) and so on... depends on your budget

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 59
LFF, why would not you post your settings here in the thread? I am curious how the SQ can be improved with the Rockbox, but I have some doubts if this is possible. So I'd like to get a picture before I will bother with Rockboxing. Please.

Quote:
If any of you would like my custom settings for a Rockbox'd Clip+, PM me and I'll fill you in.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 59

Quote:
LFF, why would not you post your settings here in the thread? I am curious how the SQ can be improved with the Rockbox, but I have some doubts if this is possible. So I'd like to get a picture before I will bother with Rockboxing. Please.

The main adeded feature (AFAIK) is Rockbox gives you tons of EQ options.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 59
The setting I initially talked about were before Rockbox came out with write support. You guys no longer need my settings. Trust me on that.
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 59

Quote:
So, does Rockbox improved Clip+ SQ?

I believe it does. With all the features it has, you can tailor it to sound fantastic according to your specific sound signature preferences.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
I believe it does. With all the features it has, you can tailor it to sound fantastic according to your specific sound signature preferences.

Agreed 100%.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 59
Been using my Fuze with Rockbox for months now. Good synergy with T4 and PK1. I wonder if Clip+ will produce the same if not better SQ.

Kostalex, TM5 is again available in their website. I believe you're the right person to ask about earbuds SQ. Do you think going from PK1 to TM5 will be a big leap? I'm still confused whether to buy because it's very expensive ($195 with shipping). Need your advice. Thanks.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 59
If you want some awesome buds for your Fuze look no further than the Fischer Audio DBA-02. Bugden Audio has them on special until the 5th and they are well under your budget.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 59
I dunno...perfect is an awful strong adjective.  I finally bit the bullet and bought an HM-801, and while I love it to pieces, I don't even consider it to be perfect per se (and that's from a purely sound quality perspective; nevermind that it's reliant on SD cards and has an 8 hour battery life...).  That said, as we both know, I am largely aligned with your sonic preferences.  Maybe I shouldn't have dropped 800 bones that quickly...

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 59
I made an extensive comparison of TM5 vs PK1 here. If it does not answer your question, then would you please tell me more specifically what are you interested in? I would like to append the review if it is not satisfactory.

Quote:
Kostalex, TM5 is again available in their website. I believe you're the right person to ask about earbuds SQ. Do you think going from PK1 to TM5 will be a big leap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back