The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,037 of 1,969
My Pono has been in its box for the last few months.  Have they created a software EQ for it yet?

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #1,038 of 1,969
I have a Ponoplayer software problem. I've had this happen periodically. (happens in JRIVER as well, which I also have). I will periodically do something (can be open a corrupted file, something even just clicking to change tracks while one's playing), and I'll get an error message after that, and it won't play any music, keep getting the error message. Usually helps if I close and reopen the program, sometimes have to reboot the computer, then it works. Now neither of these helped. Using Windows 7 Professional, and Geek Out Special Edition. Even reinstalled the Geek Out drivers, made it worse. I'm at a loss...haven't uninstalled/reinstalled Ponoplayer yet, guess that's next, but it really stinks...:frowning2:

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,039 of 1,969
L8MDL, are you taking just the single line out side out of the Pono into the amp? Or do use the two - L and R balanced, which includes the HO and the LO - with two cables into the amp?

It is single ended as the Fiio does not support balanced - it only has one line-in. I could not get enough volume for my taste using the Pono only in balanced mode with the hd600's. YMMV

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,041 of 1,969
No, and they won't. Ayre is very "anti eq" in all of their products. They prefer a clean signal path.

I could not care less what Ayre prefers.  I want to listen to my music the way I prefer.  :)  Therefor my Pono will remain an interesting conversation piece and not a viable music player.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,042 of 1,969
  I could not care less what Ayre prefers.  I want to listen to my music the way I prefer.  :)  Therefor my Pono will remain an interesting conversation piece and not a viable music player.

So why buy their product and then complain about it in public? Ayre and Pono were forthright about their disinclination towards features like EQ from the beginning. It's like buying a hat and complaining loudly that it's not a toaster. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,043 of 1,969
  So why buy their product and then complain about it in public? Ayre and Pono were forthright about their disinclination towards features like EQ from the beginning. It's like buying a hat and complaining loudly that it's not a toaster. 

I was a Kickstarter supporter and have been asking for EQ since day one.  Sorry if you don't like it.  No, not really.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,048 of 1,969
Well, I can live without EQ, but one thing on my mind a lot is the slightly high output impedance of Pono player, some of my low impedance balanced armature don't sound correct to me. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I feel something Ayre have done with the internal design in relation to the output impedance is skewing the sound at times.

With a headphone like Grado 325e or 100ohm ER4S I hear how Pono should sound which is absolutely great, but I'm not at rest with its versatility / synergy to all my gear.

And because of this I don't use mine much over my 3 iBasso units.

This is all just IMO, for those who enjoy their Pono please continue doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back