The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Mar 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #256 of 458

Quote:
I wouldn't even try to compare the hd205 with them. the hd205 is advertised as a dj headphone, but too flimsy and plasticky to be one. the ws55 is very solid and is no slouch with its sound, while they retail at $79-100, they compete with headphones at the $120-$130, the hd25 sp ii is more of a match than the hd205. natural sounding bass via the air chamber dynamics, warm mids, and sparkly highs.

thanks mayt... had only the 205 auditioned for a bassy hp... thought they were "ok" though...

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #257 of 458

Quote:
I am listening to em right now on my sony mp3 player.. I can't recommend the WS55 highly enough. These after some burn in are just Awesome sauce.. Love the full bass and fuller sounds after burning these in for 2 days n nights.. Grab em I can't recommend a better smaller portable on the go. They will drive perfectly on all portables. A bit of eq if you want even fuller bass.  No amps needed. But I can only imagen fuller bigger sounds with a small amp. I am seriously considering bumping the score on these to a 9.. Call me very impressed.

You gotta hear this out of some E5 amplifier the headphone just took another level. If you know any good portable amplifier or recommend just holla at me

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #260 of 458
From what I understand the WS55 is a newer version in their Solid bass line up. I bought a new CKS77 earphones instead which got a higher review score from some reviewer that heard both the WS70 and the CKS77. I read some not so flattering reviews on the WS70 here at headfi. I would stick to the WS55. It seem they actually improved the sound quality a bit with the WS55.

Anyone looking for an upgrade in SQ over the headphone versions should look into the CKS77. The only issue with these is that they are earphones and not headphones but the sound are even a more refined version of the WS55.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #261 of 458
WS50s and WS70s are old models of their line-up which practically didn't turn out good with sales. AT tried fixing them by changing the mechanics on how the air-chamber works and updated the reinforcement with aluminum instead of plastic making them rigid while cancelling out unwanted vibrations. The old versions sounds muddy as the oscillation of unwanted air kept on bouncing back and forth.

The new WS55s has the bass channeled into the chambers then cancelled out through the aluminum reinforcement making them punchy without over-extending too much. WS55s are AT's true bass headphones, while models like the PRO700MK2s/PRO500MK2s are associated with the DJing scene with their much colored reproduction.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #262 of 458
Awesome review and topic getting my WS55 in a couple of days and getting the black one red was cool too bad black suited me better so cannot wait argghhhh
L3000.gif
and getting my Fiio E10 toworrow so that's awesome too d^^b

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #263 of 458
Your Fiio E10 and those headphones should be a great match.  I can confirm the black ones are very nice with the chrome trim. Very classy looking. My A900X, CKM77 CKS77 earphones all use this black with chrome trim scheme. It took a while for these portables to catch on but I am glad more guys are getting them.. I always thought these would eventually get more fans.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #264 of 458
Dsnuts, any chance of a full A900x review and a comparison against the old one or any other ART headphone you have heard

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #265 of 458
These are my favorite full sized headphone. With same outer design to the WS55 I might add. The main difference if the A900X has better bass which was the only real complaint about the A900s. There was a guy that had both and from his review that was what I got from it.  Both use the same Aluminum double dampening. Real precise clean highs with very smooth mids and now with complete bass to add to that sound. I think Malveux is going to do a review on them soon.. @ the current cost of around $250. Completely worth it imo. I bought mine last year when they were new from Japan for a lot more and I thought they were worth it then.

The clarity, staging, detail is astounding on these. The cleanest sound I have for full sized.

The only complaint is the stiff padding. I am used to it but gelocks who ended up with one didn't like the padding at all and sold his to Malveux.. There will be more soon on them from Malveux. I have an initial impression of them on the A900X thread. Very nice cans.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #266 of 458
Not planning on doing a review yourself then? Headfi could use a few more, especially some head to head comparisons with the A900. They sound very tempting and if they were readily available in the uk I probably wouldve snapped them up. My problem is that i tried the a700x and they kept sliding down. Is there anyway to get it to clamp harder for smaller heads? the wings felt very flimsy. Other problem was Id have to import them from japan. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #267 of 458
Aha that might be a problem for you then. From what Malveux says these are even heavier feeling for him. They aren't heavy per se but they are kinda bulky and I know what you are saying with the wing design. So these would also fall into that falling off feeling category. I might do a review on them. They are awesome set of cans but I do wish they made a band for them instead of those wings.. I have medium sized head so its not a problem for me but I can understand how a smaller head would have some issues.

Well I can tell you if you want this sound from the A900/ A900X. The ATH-CKM77 comes very close. Same sound signature in an earphone and much cheaper to boot. But headphones are headphones and earphones are earphones.  The advantage here would be very comfy and no falling off feeling. Kinda shocking the first time I heard a CKM77.  So close to the sound of my A900X. I didn't think it was possible in a earphone. Lol!!

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #269 of 458

Quote:
does anyone know if there are different pads that will fit the ws55? maybe from the hd 25?

these are awesome headphones but a little more isolation and comfort would be great

WS55 has 70mm ear pads, the HD25 also has the same measurements they'll fit

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #270 of 458
I got them the ultimate bass headphone out there Beats by dre my god they are good high end ****!!!!!!

No just kidding got my ATH-WS55 today and my god i am loving them,the bass is really tight and crisp without getting out of line because of the double aitr system....but pounding is what he does, right out of the box i loved them,they are also better then the Sony XB700 not in sub-bass but the rest is better overall so thx RPGWiZaRD for your advice on this one it's the perfect choice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back