The Qudelix-5K thread
May 1, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #2,191 of 4,804
Ive been using the 5k with my M8 and its great. But connected to my PC by optical is an Avantree BT transmitter/receiver. When I first tried to pair them, it worked fine, but I wanted to check the connection settings, so I unpaired, swithced to a different codec...wheatever it was, like normal LDAC to connection priority, and it would not pair again. The Avantree just doesnt recognize it. I did a hard reset and still nothing. The 5K has the latest f/w. Does any one have any idea why the Avantree will not pair with the 5k?

May 1, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #2,192 of 4,804
I'd appreciate comments from others in this regard. I had the ES100 for quite a while until it broke, but I really loved it's sound. Since then I've been using the Fiio BTR3K and have been surprisingly satisfied with it. However, I've always assumed that I'd end up with the 5K (does the damn thing ever go on sale?), but I'm not really looking for a "brighter sound". What do others feel about the SQ versus the ES100?

Fwiw, the ES100 and BTR3K, as well as my desktop Grace SDAC, all have AK DACS, so I'm not that familiar with the Sabre DAC.

Thanks!

Fwiw I also own the ES100 and BTR3K and I'd take the Qudelix over them both any time. I've never thought of it as bright sounding either. Better resolution and clarity compared to the others yes, bright no. Just my 2c :)

May 1, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,193 of 4,804
Fwiw I also own the ES100 and BTR3K and I'd take the Qudelix over them both any time. I've never thought of it as bright sounding either. Better resolution and clarity compared to the others yes, bright no. Just my 2c :)
Yep. It's just a matter of personal preference. My ears are VERY sensitive to treble due to pretty severe tinnitus, so my interpretation of bright probably is different than most. For example, nearly all Beyerdynamics are no-fly zones for me. Just too bright.

That said, the Qudelix is a marvelous Bluetooth DAC-amp. I think it's a tremendous piece of kit for most people. And it's still a steal at full price with all of its features and build quality.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #2,195 of 4,804
It's a good thing this thing has PEQ, if it's a little bright. The PEQ is the jewel in the 5K's crown, no?

Excellent point.

May 1, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,197 of 4,804
Whenever i use my Qudelix and the battery gets under 80% the sound quality goes to absolute crap. It's super noticeable and almost unusable. It doesn't matter what Codec i'm using this happens EVERY time it gets under 80%. any idea what might be happening? There is no way thats how its supposed to be right?

edit: It only happens with my KBear Belive

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,198 of 4,804
Whenever I try and change ldac quality to best audio in developer options it changes back when I restart the 5k. Anyone had this problem? Using galaxy s9 on Android 10

Also does anyone find the clicks when you start the device unreasonably loud? Especially if you were listening to classical music

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,199 of 4,804
Whenever I try and change ldac quality to best audio in developer options it changes back when I restart the 5k. Anyone had this problem? Using galaxy s9 on Android 10

Also does anyone find the clicks when you start the device unreasonably loud? Especially if you were listening to classical music
Unfortunately, this is normal behavior in Android, at least many others report the same thing, and it happens on my LG v30.

May 2, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #2,200 of 4,804
Unfortunately, this is normal behavior in Android, at least many others report the same thing, and it happens on my LG v30.

Yeah, some DAPs have settings for LDAC priority (not in developer options) that stick but, most phones apparently don't.

May 5, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2,202 of 4,804
Already made my order! 😆👍Think it will replace my BTR5. Because I HATE the Fiio App. Loved BTR5`s build quality though...

Wondering why you are planning to use the Qudelix 5K for. I see you have an xDSD also. I also have both - xDSD and Qudelix 5k. The Qudelix 5K is MUCH better than the Fiio BTR5, that's absolutely 100% certain.

However I've had a long time in which I compared it to the xDSD and here are my findings:

1) If you have sensitive IEMs (I have the Campfire Audio Dorado 2020, quite sensitive), there is NO HISS on the Qudelix, but a tiny amount on the xDSD (I've bought an iFi IEMatch+ to solve this issue, but most of the times I prefer the very low hiss than the extra dongle)

2) Sound quality

Features: The Qudelix 5K has a PEQ Equalizer. This is a great option, but you must remember this alters the sound signal when using (a tiny bit) because it's all in the digital domain. You may not hear a big difference. However, compared to the xDSD's more rudimental (but analog domain) "XBass", on some bass-light IEMs i tested, the "XBass" does a more convincing job than playing with the bass frequencies on the 5K PEQ. Same thing applies for 5K's "crossfeed" vs the "3d+" on the iFi. The only time you need it is with some older 60s (and older) songs, where there is no central image. The difference is much bigger here - you need to bump the "crossfeed" quite a lot to get an enjoyable listen with the 5K, but a LOT of detail is lost. With the "3d+" the sound is "repaired" with almost no compromises.

USB: The xDSD is indeed -AT LEAST- a class above the Qudelix 5k, maybe more. The sound is wider and has more "muscle", especially in the low registries. It's simply better, more real, warmer. There is no competition here. The qudelix is AMAZING for a 110$ dongle, but it just can't compete with the 400$ (now discounted to 300$ in most places) iFi xDSD (plus the xDSD has MQA, if you care about that).

Bluetooth: Yes, the Qudelix does have LDAC, the xDSD is only AptX, but because the big difference in sound quality, the xDSD still sounds noticeably better on bluetooth (even if it theoretically "downgrades" the sound. Qudelix however has an advantage as it can take calls (xDSD has no call handling functionality) and you can control next track/previous/pause/play (xDSD only has it's own independent sound control), but unless you are using a cable with built-in mic, the microphone on the Qudelix is CRAP (i'd say it's worse than the BTR5 also), unfortunately, so this function is almost useless in most cases.

Another thing to note is that the Qudelix 5K has digital volume control, and the xDSD has analogue. Analogue (as long as it's well implemented with no cheap components that add noise, and in the xDSD it's well implemented) is better because it doesn't take out bits from the digital signal to lower the volume. The Qudelix I see has a 32 bit volume control (higher is better - degrading the sound quality less when lowering volume) but it's still average - many digital amp/dacs have around 60bits to counter the digital-volume issue (like the AudioQuest cobalt, etc).

For those reasons, on the go and at the office (basically anywhere besides the gym/biking) I'm using the xDSD. The Qudelix 5K is used in my car stereo right now.

So basically unless you are interested in call functionality (and for this it is highly recommended to use a cable with mic, as the in-built mic is pretty bad) and are attracted to a smaller device (even though the xDSD isn't huge), the xDSD is better sounding, and is better suited, especially for more power hungry headphones.

May 5, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,203 of 4,804
Wondering why you are planning to use the Qudelix 5K for. I see you have an xDSD also. I also have both - xDSD and Qudelix 5k. The Qudelix 5K is MUCH better than the Fiio BTR5, that's absolutely 100% certain.

However I've had a long time in which I compared it to the xDSD and here are my findings:

1) If you have sensitive IEMs (I have the Campfire Audio Dorado 2020, quite sensitive), there is NO HISS on the Qudelix, but a tiny amount on the xDSD (I've bought an iFi IEMatch+ to solve this issue, but most of the times I prefer the very low hiss than the extra dongle)

2) Sound quality

Features: The Qudelix 5K has a PEQ Equalizer. This is a great option, but you must remember this alters the sound signal when using (a tiny bit) because it's all in the digital domain. You may not hear a big difference. However, compared to the xDSD's more rudimental (but analog domain) "XBass", on some bass-light IEMs i tested, the "XBass" does a more convincing job than playing with the bass frequencies on the 5K PEQ. Same thing applies for 5K's "crossfeed" vs the "3d+" on the iFi. The only time you need it is with some older 60s (and older) songs, where there is no central image. The difference is much bigger here - you need to bump the "crossfeed" quite a lot to get an enjoyable listen with the 5K, but a LOT of detail is lost. With the "3d+" the sound is "repaired" with almost no compromises.

USB: The xDSD is indeed -AT LEAST- a class above the Qudelix 5k, maybe more. The sound is wider and has more "muscle", especially in the low registries. It's simply better, more real, warmer. There is no competition here. The qudelix is AMAZING for a 110$ dongle, but it just can't compete with the 400$ (now discounted to 300$ in most places) iFi xDSD (plus the xDSD has MQA, if you care about that).

Bluetooth: Yes, the Qudelix does have LDAC, the xDSD is only AptX, but because the big difference in sound quality, the xDSD still sounds noticeably better on bluetooth (even if it theoretically "downgrades" the sound. Qudelix however has an advantage as it can take calls (xDSD has no call handling functionality) and you can control next track/previous/pause/play (xDSD only has it's own independent sound control), but unless you are using a cable with built-in mic, the microphone on the Qudelix is CRAP (i'd say it's worse than the BTR5 also), unfortunately, so this function is almost useless in most cases.

Another thing to note is that the Qudelix 5K has digital volume control, and the xDSD has analogue. Analogue (as long as it's well implemented with no cheap components that add noise, and in the xDSD it's well implemented) is better because it doesn't take out bits from the digital signal to lower the volume. The Qudelix I see has a 32 bit volume control (higher is better - degrading the sound quality less when lowering volume) but it's still average - many digital amp/dacs have around 60bits to counter the digital-volume issue (like the AudioQuest cobalt, etc).

For those reasons, on the go and at the office (basically anywhere besides the gym/biking) I'm using the xDSD. The Qudelix 5K is used in my car stereo right now.

So basically unless you are interested in call functionality (and for this it is highly recommended to use a cable with mic, as the in-built mic is pretty bad) and are attracted to a smaller device (even though the xDSD isn't huge), the xDSD is better sounding, and is better suited, especially for more power hungry headphones.

Hi! I 100% agree with everything you write about the XDSD! To my ears, too, it is still one of the best, if not THE best bluetooth device I have ever heard (unfortunately my unit is defect and I will send it in to repair soon). This gets very evident if one compares it directly to other devices! Even in BT mode it gets VERY close to a good DAP!

So what am I planning to use the 5k for?
Well, generally, after years of DAP usage, I am a now convinced "DAC with BT and USB functionality" user that I can use across my different digital devices (phone, computer, TV....). On the go I like to use BT, since I find it so convenient and think that BT quality has improved a lot over the years (using the right equipment). If I want to do critical listening, I simply connect the device to my Computer or tablet via USB. I like to have a high quality DAC for that purpose (XDSD and R2R2000) and another one that is really small and easy to carry (now Qudelix, former BTR 5).

My first impressions of Qudelix vs BTR 5 are actually almost exactly how I expected them to be. Sound wise, I find them slightly different ( BTR5 sounds a bit sharper, while 5k a bit softer but more dynamic and musical) but could not tell which is "better" or "worse". I think it is a question of taste. Me, personally, I think I slightly lean towards musical and prefer the 5k by a small margin. Build quality and feel for sure is much nicer with the BTR5, just as ist buttons, but 5k actually feels more solid than I though (for sure better than ES100) and I find the smaller size and integrated clip much more practical.

And software wise it is a HUGE win for the 5k.

Software was actually the main reason why I wanted to get rid of the BTR5!
As a iOS and Mac user, I found the Fiio software horrible! Not only aren`t firmware updates possible with a Mac, also the Music and Control app keep on crashing on my iPhone. I had the same problem that other BTR5 users keep on reporting, too, actually since the launch of the device (and Fiio never fixed it): It says the phone is not connected to the device and one has to cancel the connecting process again and again, then it suddenly gets connected for some reasons. But recently, I have to keep on doing this for about ten times until I can finally use the app. In addition, EQ, which is quite important to me, for sure reduces SQ on the Fiio and also there is no way to safe EQ different settings...

With the 5K, software works amazingly smooth and EQ works perfectly without any reduction of SQ.

So far, I am very happy with the 5k and do not regret buying it. Only button usage takes a while to get used to, but not a huge problem to me, since I often use my Apple watch to control my music on the go....

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #2,204 of 4,804
Hi! I 100% agree with everything you write about the XDSD! To my ears, too, it is still one of the best, if not THE best bluetooth device I have ever heard (unfortunately my unit is defect and I will send it in to repair soon). This gets very evident if one compares it directly to other devices! Even in BT mode it gets VERY close to a good DAP!

So what am I planning to use the 5k for?
Well, generally, after years of DAP usage, I am a now convinced "DAC with BT and USB functionality" user that I can use across my different digital devices (phone, computer, TV....). On the go I like to use BT, since I find it so convenient and think that BT quality has improved a lot over the years (using the right equipment). If I want to do critical listening, I simply connect the device to my Computer or tablet via USB. I like to have a high quality DAC for that purpose (XDSD and R2R2000) and another one that is really small and easy to carry (now Qudelix, former BTR 5).

My first impressions of Qudelix vs BTR 5 are actually almost exactly how I expected them to be. Sound wise, I find them slightly different ( BTR5 sounds a bit sharper, while 5k a bit softer but more dynamic and musical) but could not tell which is "better" or "worse". I think it is a question of taste. Me, personally, I think I slightly lean towards musical and prefer the 5k by a small margin. Build quality and feel for sure is much nicer with the BTR5, just as ist buttons, but 5k actually feels more solid than I though (for sure better than ES100) and I find the smaller size and integrated clip much more practical.

And software wise it is a HUGE win for the 5k.

Software was actually the main reason why I wanted to get rid of the BTR5!
As a iOS and Mac user, I found the Fiio software horrible! Not only aren`t firmware updates possible with a Mac, also the Music and Control app keep on crashing on my iPhone. I had the same problem that other BTR5 users keep on reporting, too, actually since the launch of the device (and Fiio never fixed it): It says the phone is not connected to the device and one has to cancel the connecting process again and again, then it suddenly gets connected for some reasons. But recently, I have to keep on doing this for about ten times until I can finally use the app. In addition, EQ, which is quite important to me, for sure reduces SQ on the Fiio and also there is no way to safe EQ different settings...

With the 5K, software works amazingly smooth and EQ works perfectly without any reduction of SQ.

So far, I am very happy with the 5k and do not regret buying it. Only button usage takes a while to get used to, but not a huge problem to me, since I often use my Apple watch to control my music on the go....

Nice! yeah, indeed, that's my feeling with the 5K as well (also vs BTR5). BTR was built nicely, but the software was kinda trash, and my main issues was VERY poor LDAC bt stability (vs 5K) and "harsh" unrefined (to my ears) sound. 5K has a very similar tuning to what I like - warm and full, just like my Xperia 1 II smartphone 3.5mm output or the xDSD. It actually sounds very close to the Xperia, except the Xperia has way less power, but sounds more open up-top.

As far as on the go, yeah, 5K is definitely smaller than xDSD, and therefore better, but I got so used to the xDSD sound and easy volume operation, I'm using it always on the go, even if it doesn't have call functionality (juste use the phone normally when talking).

But it has it's limitations when going to the gym/biking. For that, I got a pair of Campfire Polaris V2 and planning to get a Fiio UTWS3 (when they will be back in stock). Nothing beats the practicality of true wireless when doing intensive movement. Of course, the Dorado 2020 sound much better than the Polaris v2 and would like to use them on the UTWS3 when doing sports as well - but that would mean almost daily MMCX connector abuse, and that's a BIG NO.

May 5, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,205 of 4,804
Nice! yeah, indeed, that's my feeling with the 5K as well (also vs BTR5). BTR was built nicely, but the software was kinda trash, and my main issues was VERY poor LDAC bt stability (vs 5K) and "harsh" unrefined (to my ears) sound. 5K has a very similar tuning to what I like - warm and full, just like my Xperia 1 II smartphone 3.5mm output or the xDSD. It actually sounds very close to the Xperia, except the Xperia has way less power, but sounds more open up-top.

As far as on the go, yeah, 5K is definitely smaller than xDSD, and therefore better, but I got so used to the xDSD sound and easy volume operation, I'm using it always on the go, even if it doesn't have call functionality (juste use the phone normally when talking).

But it has it's limitations when going to the gym/biking. For that, I got a pair of Campfire Polaris V2 and planning to get a Fiio UTWS3 (when they will be back in stock). Nothing beats the practicality of true wireless when doing intensive movement. Of course, the Dorado 2020 sound much better than the Polaris v2 and would like to use them on the UTWS3 when doing sports as well - but that would mean almost daily MMCX connector abuse, and that's a BIG NO.
I am also very interested in something like the UTWS3, but still feel that those modules are still not where real TWS are in terms of functionality. What I admire most about some TWS is a proper ambient and NC mode between that I can switch back and forth. Because especially when I am doing sports I want to hear my surrounding.
This is why I ended up in buying Huawei Freebuds for sports that are open design and let me hear my surrounding very well while listening to music.

I also tried the ambient mode of the 5K but was disappointed to be honest. It is exactly like someone has written in this thread, that just if the 5K rubs a little bit on ones clothes you will have terrible background noise. Generally there is so much hiss during ambient mode. And if one lowers the mic sensitivity one cannot hear sounds anymore that are a little distant. The ambient mode of the 5k sounds very unnatural unfortunately and is far away from something like the Airpos Max, which is simply stunning. But I guess to achieve that, it need several mics for sure and very good software. So I kind of gave up on this for now. But I am sure we will get something like this for high end IEMs somewhen in the future.... :smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back