The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #241 of 1,909
i was being a little sarcastic there in case that didn't come through.
i believe you're probably right about what MOT are, and aren't allowed to say, especially degrading , dispararing  the competition , but i'm not sure
i'm sure the better companies wouldn't behave in that type of behavior anyway
Yeah, I didn't catch the sarcasm. Detector must be a little off today. :wink: I was also kinda throwing it out there that Jason probably wouldn't talk about how their product sounds because they're not allow to talk about how it sounds since that's gotten some ppls undies in a bunch.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #242 of 1,909
Well, I can't say I'm not intrigued. Don't know if it could replace my O2 + ODAC but it might make a decent complement, all things considered.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #243 of 1,909
That's because hardware wise that IS the only real change. The DAC chip is exactly the same. No need to upgrade from the modi to the modi 2 unless you want the better sampling rate. Eesh, lol.
Edit: this is in response to click accusing Jason of dodging the question. Apparently I can't quote correctly on mobile.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #246 of 1,909
That's because hardware wise that IS the only real change. The DAC chip is exactly the same. No need to upgrade from the modi to the modi 2 unless you want the better sampling rate. Eesh, lol.
Edit: this is in response to click accusing Jason of dodging the question. Apparently I can't quote correctly on mobile.

I struggle to understand how someone can say that when the circuit topology is improved? 

All other things being equal, the circuit topology IS the most important factor as to how a component sounds.  

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #247 of 1,909

I struggle to understand how someone can say that when the circuit topology is improved? 

All other things being equal, the circuit topology IS the most important factor as to how a component sounds.  

so the circuit topology improvement would be "less noticeable" perhaps for folks who have Wyrd+Modi 1?

except that's not "all other things being equal" since the Wyrd is delivering reclocked/stable USB packets to the Modi1. 
(ie.  no reclocked USB inside Modi2.  that we know of.)

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #248 of 1,909
Will I like the Modi 2 Uber if I didn't like the synergy of the Modi that much with my Grado RS1i? I own the Mani and SYS (so it would make a nice stack) and owned the Lyr and Bifrost (best combo I had so far) and really dig Schiit, just not the Modi 1 all that much. Looks promising though and I kinda want it but not sure 
basshead.gif
 Same goes for the Magni 2 Uber. Also very promising (largely because of preamp), but will it have good synergy with Grado? I found the MM stack a little too analytical/bright for the Grado RS1i.  

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #249 of 1,909
Ugh, talk about instant buyer's remorse. I ordered a Magni/Modi on December 11th...they haven't even arrived yet and I already want the new Uber versions. Especially the Modi since I am stuck with USB for now but would like to go with optical when I get my new laptop...

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #250 of 1,909
  Ugh, talk about instant buyer's remorse. I ordered a Magni/Modi on December 11th...they haven't even arrived yet and I already want the new Uber versions. Especially the Modi since I am stuck with USB for now but would like to go with optical when I get my new laptop...

You should email Laura over at Schiit. It's really likely you can swap out your order since you're in the 15 day time frame of a newly announced product. You might not even have to pay the restocking fee if you buy the ubers because they're technically an upgrade, but don't quote me on that. Give her a chat and see what happens! :)

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #251 of 1,909
  You should email Laura over at Schiit. It's really likely you can swap out your order since you're in the 15 day time frame of a newly announced product. You might not even have to pay the restocking fee if you buy the ubers because they're technically an upgrade, but don't quote me on that. Give her a chat and see what happens! :)

Yeah, I just sent them an email, hopefully it works out without having to pay the restocking fee! Fingers crossed 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #252 of 1,909

Yeah, I just sent them an email, hopefully it works out without having to pay the restocking fee! Fingers crossed 
smily_headphones1.gif

They'll waive it if you return the old M/M and buy the new model with 15 days :) 

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #255 of 1,909
Quote:
  Is it ridiculous to consider a Magni if all I have is Monoprice 8323s?

You'll barely hear any difference if there's at all. At that price range, the best option for better sound would just be getting better headphones. 

Headphones in general affect what sonic quality you get much more than switching an amp/dac would. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back