The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,516 of 1,867
If you read previous pages on the D50, there's some issues:
  • DAC is bad (some even saying it's terrible) and that it is better to use outboard DAC.
  • D50 gets quite hot.
I love the design, it's just beautiful... The size is also pretty good. I'd actually love to own one, it's in my wishlist...
However in 353X you have space for another STAX earspeaker if that's something you'd use.
Also I think I've seen mods for 353X, not so sure about the D50 also due to size might be a bit more crowded inside the casing to upgrade components or apply mods.

I'm just new to all this, so take it with a pinch of salt and maybe looks around for these issues. The D50 is definitely not a non-brainer, so read around HeadFi, Reddit maybe ASR.
I read somewhere that the 353X is just a 252 with PSU built in, is that true???

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #1,517 of 1,867
Hi, the L700 are real lambda stax, easy to drive with a srm-006ts, I use the T1S which is the same idea and I have no problems. Kind regards Yoram
I own the SRM-600 limited with the L700 ....
Would the SRM-006tS, instead of the SRM-600 ltd., be an asset or no difference, in your opinion !? What's the difference between 006ts vs. SRM-600 Limited?
Is there an audible difference (e.g. on the L700)? Has someone experience with both?

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,518 of 1,867
I own the SRM-600 limited with the L700 ....
Would the SRM-006tS, instead of the SRM-600 ltd., be an asset or no difference, in your opinion !? What's the difference between 006ts vs. SRM-600 Limited?
Is there an audible difference (e.g. on the L700)? Has someone experience with both?

Not sure if it helps but I will share my experience from recent testing of stax demo units at the local store. I'm new to the stax world, I did some preliminary research and booked a testing session with L700(mk1 as they didn't have demo mk2 yet at the store) and sr 007 mk2. Energisers available : 006t (for l700) & 700s (for 007).

To make long story short: when I heard l700 connected to 006t I was not impressed and kind of disappointed. Sound was some sort of flat, with almost no bass, but the overall sound was very "aggressive"? I couldn't listen it for a long time. But, from curiosity I connected L700 to 700s( the latest stax energiser 2x more expensive than the l700 headphones), with this setup I was literally blown away and immediately felt in love with L700! The sound was now smoother, the bass appeared (very good one, not" just the lows") and actually I couldn't stop listening. Classical/orchestra pieces which I've well known and heard live sounded like never before. Yes , these are amazing headphones, but need very good energiser. There was a day/night difference between 006t and 700s powering L700. 700s brought l700 to a completely new level, and I liked it much more than 007 mk2.

So to help to answer your question - in my opinion L700 can benefit A LOT from upgrading the amp. However I can't tell if srm- 600 limited will make the difference over 006t. Srm 700s did a huge difference. And I hope that 727 ii will make that too, since in theory 700s is only slightly improved version of 727.

Something that I cannot explain is why solid state amp gave more bass than the tube amp?? Also made the sound smoother... no idea. Perhaps default tubes in 006t must be very poor..

L700 are now on my radar, I'm planning to buy a pair. There is only mk2 version available and I can only hope it will not be worse than mk1 which I tested...

* btw the dac which was used during my testing at the shop was from T+A company, don't remember the model, the price was around 4 000 USD though.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,519 of 1,867
Hi, i tried to find info about the L500 mk II. Is it closer to L700 mk I or L300 mkI?
I currently have Lambda PROs and thinking to upgrade them, also what would be the asking price for them ? They are in mint condition.

Thank you in advance :D

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,520 of 1,867
Hi, i tried to find info about the L500 mk II. Is it closer to L700 mk I or L300 mkI?
I currently have Lambda PROs and thinking to upgrade them, also what would be the asking price for them ? They are in mint condition.

The L500MK2 has the same changes the L700MK2 has. Detachable cable and the yokes are now made from metal.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,521 of 1,867

In "technical" capabilities i.e how detailed they are its pretty close, with the largest jump going from the L300 to the L500, while the L500 to the L700 is barely noticable if anything.

In terms of sound signature, I personally prefer the L500 but can understand why someone would prefer the L700 or even the L300. What you must know is that the L300 is very intimate, somewhat energetic up top. L500 is a bit wider, more evenly tempered. L700 is wider again still but also hotter up top.

In terms of comfort, the L500 and L700 are a lot more comfortable than the L300.

In terms of overall fidelity / quality of the sound, the 3 are extremely close. And I think this Lambda line is exceptional. I personally prefer the L500 to the 007, even though the 007 is clearly better from a purely technical standpoint.

As for the mk1 vs mk2 there aren't any changes in sound afaik.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,522 of 1,867
There are some audible changes in the mk2 L700 vs the mk1, but I have never heard the L500. I will say that the mk2s will fit better on people with larger heads, especially wider heads. The mk1 has a miserable yoke design that prevents the earcups from swiveling outwards far enough, and that puts too much pressure on top of the earpad and not enough on the bottom, to the point that the bottom will actually come off your head on people with wider heads. The mk2 has a curved yoke that allows for more rotation and should fit people with wider heads better.

Socas3d also makes replacement yokes that you can fit which allow for a wider range of movement, and if you struggle with getting a good fit with a mk1 it should be a good option.

Regarding L700 on 006t and 700s... yup. I had similar thoughts except in my case it was the 007t vs the 717. The 007t just doesn't sound that great, muddy lows, limited dynamics, and when you turn the volume knob up, nothing happens except the sound gets brighter and worse. The 007t is fine at low to moderate volumes but just doesn't have the juice when you turn it up. I think it pretty much needs CCS mods. The 717 on the other hand sounds much better, tighter lows, better resolution, more effortless stage, more dynamics... just better everything. My EQd and modded L700 sounds a lot like a Focal headphone off the 717, just with worse bass but better more natural highs, and in terms of detail it is closer to the Utopia than any of the others. It's very nice this way, but with the 007t I didn't much like it. AFAIK the 700s is basically an updated 717 so it should be a very good match, though way WAY overpriced.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,523 of 1,867
>There are some audible changes in the mk2 L700 vs the mk1
sorry, could not find the text therfore
where did you write the differences?

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,524 of 1,867
Regarding L700 on 006t and 700s... yup. I had similar thoughts except in my case it was the 007t vs the 717. The 007t just doesn't sound that great, muddy lows, limited dynamics, and when you turn the volume knob up, nothing happens except the sound gets brighter and worse. The 007t is fine at low to moderate volumes but just doesn't have the juice when you turn it up. I think it pretty much needs CCS mods. The 717 on the other hand sounds much better, tighter lows, better resolution, more effortless stage, more dynamics... just better everything. My EQd and modded L700 sounds a lot like a Focal headphone off the 717, just with worse bass but better more natural highs, and in terms of detail it is closer to the Utopia than any of the others. It's very nice this way, but with the 007t I didn't much like it. AFAIK the 700s is basically an updated 717 so it should be a very good match, though way WAY overpriced.

Yes, I agree 700s would be overpriced. I finally bought the new L700mk2 and used 727 ii and I couldn't be happier. This is my end game so far for classical/orchestral pieces.

I can't tell the differences between l700 mk2 and mk1, or in other words I can't be sure of those. I've got impression that mk1 sounded a bit brighter but the setup was different though. I had only a chance to audition mk1 while ago at the store, where the dac was different than the one I got for my recently received mk2 and from manufacturer that I've never tested before (T+A). My dac is gustard x20pro. I guess interconnects were different as well.

EDIT: The dac which was at the store while I was testing l700mk1 was T+A DAC 8 DSD. I just read it's a very bright, highly detailed and analytical dac with very direct presentation. So the brightness I remembered of mk1 over mk2 which I have now at home could be from this dac. Although can't be 100% sure without a/b comparison of both headphones at the same conditions.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,525 of 1,867
Any difference between the MK1 and MK2 would be from the new yokes causing the earcups to press harder and form a better seal which would increase bass extension.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,526 of 1,867
>There are some audible changes in the mk2 L700 vs the mk1
sorry, could not find the text therfore
where did you write the differences?

I wrote about it on another site. I won't go into details since my mk1 isn't stock anymore but the mk2 is broadly warmer, has more bass punch, and less peaky highs, but it also has a narrower stage and seems a bit less glossy and smooth in the mids. The mk1 is brighter, the bass is fuzzier, but it has better staging to me and the mids are smoother. If I couldn't use EQ I would probably pick the mk2 as it is more easygoing on the ears, but since I EQ everything I'll take the mk1 and just mod and EQ it.

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #1,528 of 1,867
Hi, I like the sound of my L700 MK2 very much. What I don't like is that it exerts strong pressure on the jawbones over the long term due to the stronger contact pressure.
I've already had a few Stax headphones, but no other has such strong contact pressure, only the L-700. I hardly noticed the others STAX while wearing them.
Does anyone else have the problem? What can I do about it?
I don't want to sell the L-700 again, otherwise I like it very much.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,529 of 1,867
Hi, I like the sound of my L700 MK2 very much. What I don't like is that it exerts strong pressure on the jawbones over the long term due to the stronger contact pressure.
I've already had a few Stax headphones, but no other has such strong contact pressure, only the L-700. I hardly noticed the others STAX while wearing them.
Does anyone else have the problem? What can I do about it?
I don't want to sell the L-700 again, otherwise I like it very much.

Hmmm I didn't observe such problem, I wear them all the time during the work, one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had.

It might be silly question, but did you set the headband properly I.e. if loosen already could loose it a bit more? I mean to move the plastic elements that keep the headband a bit higher.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #1,530 of 1,867
Hmmm I didn't observe such problem, I wear them all the time during the work, one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had.

It might be silly question, but did you set the headband properly I.e. if loosen already could loose it a bit more? I mean to move the plastic elements that keep the headband a bit higher.
Yes, I have already tested that in all settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back