The Stax Thread III
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #21,466 of 25,653
Nov 11, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #21,467 of 25,653
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #21,470 of 25,653
I mean it... Im using the WA22 I received 2 days ago as pre to my 007T and the upgrade IMHO was bigger than going from the entry level D10 (the portable stax amp) to the 007T with a SS preamp.
I agree. A tube preamp can do wonders.
I used to have the Stax 727 MkII with my 009 then I open it and set it to by pass de volume control and connected my McIntosh C2300 with NOS Mullard tubes and I was rewarded with much better sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #21,471 of 25,653
So I recently missed out on getting a new T1S (old STAX era with the bronze faceplate too) and (what seemed to be) a new Lambda Nova Signature. Prices went just a bit higher than I felt like paying, but while I'm fine with losing out on the LNS for $1200ish as that is too much for me to consider for that, wish I coulda snagged that T1S lol (just outbid by 1000 yen lol)

Would have been nice to have a new old stock STAX setup circa 1994 lol

The LNS is the Lambda (along with the original normal bias one) I really want to hear. A much cheaper way to capture much of the the original Omega's timbre perhaps? As the classic Stereophile review states:

There is still the slightest hint of roughness in the upper-mids/low-highs region, which, by itself, lends an almost pleasing touch of realism. When compared to the Stax Omega, however, this revealed itself to be a form of coloration. As good as the Nova Sigs are—and as close as they come to the Omegas, which is very close—the more expensive (and currently unavailable) headsets had an even greater sense of relaxed, natural musical detail.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #21,472 of 25,653
So I recently missed out on getting a new T1S (old STAX era with the bronze faceplate too) and (what seemed to be) a new Lambda Nova Signature. Prices went just a bit higher than I felt like paying, but while I'm fine with losing out on the LNS for $1200ish as that is too much for me to consider for that, wish I coulda snagged that T1S lol (just outbid by 1000 yen lol)

https://zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=b1016268803
https://zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=u1016722771

Would have been nice to have a new old stock STAX setup circa 1994 lol

The LNS is the Lambda (along with the original normal bias one) I really want to hear. A much cheaper way to capture much of the the original Omega's timbre perhaps? As the classic Stereophile review states:

There is still the slightest hint of roughness in the upper-mids/low-highs region, which, by itself, lends an almost pleasing touch of realism. When compared to the Stax Omega, however, this revealed itself to be a form of coloration. As good as the Nova Sigs are—and as close as they come to the Omegas, which is very close—the more expensive (and currently unavailable) headsets had an even greater sense of relaxed, natural musical detail.
Ooohh that's really interesting. LNS/LNC has my favorite timbre of any Lambda, now I really want to try the Omega and by extension X9k.

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #21,473 of 25,653
I actually had the Omega before selling it a while back, while I preferred the hyper clarity and exciting nature of the 009S and thus it in general, for some tracks, the natural timbre of the Omega was very nice. This was a little effort in me getting some of that magic back (of course you can find LNS around but I like to buy new/as new as possible).

How does the Nova Classic compare to the Signature if you've heard both?

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #21,474 of 25,653
I actually had the Omega before selling it a while back, while I preferred the hyper clarity and exciting nature of the 009S and thus it in general, for some tracks, the natural timbre of the Omega was very nice. This was a little effort in me getting some of that magic back (of course you can find LNS around but I like to buy new/as new as possible).

Try the 404 LE - this and the LNS are my favorite Lambdas!

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #21,475 of 25,653

When I had both it was still very early in my Stax journey so I only A-B'd them on the 252s. I will say there was no real discernible difference and thus I kept the cheaper pair which was the LNC. Those same LNC have scaled up incrementally with each new amp and so I really want to get a pair of LNS again to do another A-B with my current amps.

That being said, my understanding is that they have identical drivers but with different pads and cables, so I don't expect there will be much of a difference regardless even on better amps. Yea pads can make a big difference, I'm seeing that right now with the L-series, but they can also be swapped around or replaced so it's kind of a wash.

Now the one I *really* am curious to try is the Nova Basic. Spritzer actually has a nice one on sale at the moment and I've been debating picking it up for the past couple weeks.
Try the 404 LE - this and the LNS are my favorite Lambdas!
Agree 100%. Love both LNS/LNC and the 404LE, latter was also a daily driver for me a while back.

I think I would say L700 is the best Lambda I've heard but I still think the LNS/LNC are my favorites. There is a very definitive technical upgrade in the L700 relative to the Novas but when I want to chill and just soak in the music, the Novas can't be beat, they are so warm and comfy. They are honestly a really great companion to the L700 in that respect.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #21,477 of 25,653
Looking for general information and personal opinions about how the Stax energizers going to work with pre amps? I'm looking to receive soon Stax SRM-XH energizer to pair with my Perun Live Sound cans, which seems to be quite basic (energizer - not phones))), so I'm thinking would it benefit from my hybrid Garage1217 Project Ember amp, whych also has an analog input and can operate as a pre amp?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #21,478 of 25,653
If anyone interested, here is my Stax setup:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-srm-252s-mods-summary.960608/

L300 + L700 pads + a good EQ is the perfect combination, especially considering the price.

The 252S is a very capable amp, often underrated, probably because not enough expensive? It has way enough power for the Lambda series with a good PSU.

The final touch is handled by EqualizerAPO.
IMO you can't be 100% satisfied of your audio setup, whatever the system and whatever the price, if you don't equalize it.
Equalization is a game changer and I don't understand why it's so rare in high end setup.

For Christmas I'll ask Santa Claus to bring me the new arc aluminum headband to replace the stock one in plastic.
L300 + L700 pads is so much better than the actual L700, it's not even funny.
252S is endeed an excellent amp, all it needs is a linear power supply to provide a great SQ - can be had under 100$.

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #21,479 of 25,653
Got a question about using a Stax amp in an existing speaker set-up.

I have a 2-channel stereo with an integrated amp feeding a pair of speakers. I have a Woo WEE energiser connected so that I can use my 009 and select between speaker and headphone output.

I have seperate system which has a Stax SRM-007tII that due to moving pieces around in my new house I want to replace the WEE.

My question is: By inserting the 007tII into my speaker set-up will it let me switch between headphones and speakers without sound going through both at the same time? Typical headphone amps would take the tape-out feed from the amp/pre-amp into its line-in but I'm not sure if that would defeat the speaker output when my 009 is plugged in. The Stax 007 allows for a parallel out to an amp with the source component (in this case my DAC) going into the line in. Would this still have the sound going out to both the headphones and the speakers at the same time? I don't want to be constantly turning the Stax amp on-and-off every time I want to switch between the two.

I'm starting to think I should leave the WEE as is due to how convenient it is in operation. Yeah, it won't sound as good but I'm using this set-up for movies/games and not music.

FYI: My integrated amp (a Densen B-150) allows the pre section to be defeated so that it's used as a power amp but I'm not sure if that would help here.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back