The Stax Thread III
Jun 29, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #9,121 of 25,611
  I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it seems like one of the only places to do so. Are the below Summit-Fi STAX headphones worth buying over something like the HD650? My friend and I went to an audio meet a couple of years ago and took turns listening to the SR-407 and SR-507. We were both impressed, but I definitely heard the "plastic" timbre people talk about. I've also heard claims of cheap components used in the amp units.

Anyway, I'm considering eventually buying either a Valhalla 2 and HD650 setup or a SR-407 and SRM-323S setup, but I'm afraid that I'll get the STAX and be disappointed with their ability to play a wide variety of music well. Are the claims that others have made true or just hate for STAX in general?

I'd appreciate any input if you guys don't mind.

I don't own HD650's, but I do own HD600. I only own the CHEAPEST Stax system, but I enjoy my Stax much more.

HD 600 sounds very smooth and laid-back to me, where Stax sounds like it's more excitable cousin.

Stax is my daily driver since I've had them, and at least to my ears, they do everything well, but they're not bass cannons if you're looking for that.

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #9,126 of 25,611
The limited edition is also three times the price and hard to find. Might as well save up for an L700 in that case. To put my inquiry in perspective the 207 is my first Stax and I think it's great but for many on this forum it's like a bike with training wheels. I was just curios as to whether the 404 or 407 offers an appreciable upgrade in sound at a good value. So looking to see if I can take off the training wheels so to speak without too much of an investment ....

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #9,127 of 25,611
The limited edition is also three times the price and hard to find. Might as well save up for an L700 in that case. To put my inquiry in perspective the 207 is my first Stax and I think it's great but for many on this forum it's like a bike with training wheels. I was just curios as to whether the 404 or 407 offers an appreciable upgrade in sound at a good value. So looking to see if I can take off the training wheels so to speak without too much of an investment ....

Uh huh. Another new 2170 system owner here. I'm so impressed with my lowly baby Stax that purchases of conventional headphones are now on hold indefinitely for me......I'm only looking at Stax upgrades, like LaCuffia.

The people in this thread speak nearly an entirely different language from the rest of the HeadFi site. I've been lurking for over a month, hesitant to jump in.

What would be helpful is if there were, somewhere, a comparison review of multiple Stax models vs each other. Yes yes, we (Stax newbies) get that the more expensive they are, the better it will likely sound; but how MUCH better, and in what way?

I, for instance, will likely never own the "round" models. I'm a man of limited means, and they're waaaaay out of my price range! For myself, I'm interested in comparisons of the different "rectangular" models which largely go ignored in this thread.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #9,128 of 25,611
  Uh huh. Another new 2170 system owner here. I'm so impressed with my lowly baby Stax that purchases of conventional headphones are now on hold indefinitely for me......I'm only looking at Stax upgrades, like LaCuffia.

The people in this thread speak nearly an entirely different language from the rest of the HeadFi site. I've been lurking for over a month, hesitant to jump in.

What would be helpful is if there were, somewhere, a comparison review of multiple Stax models vs each other. Yes yes, we (Stax newbies) get that the more expensive they are, the better it will likely sound; but how MUCH better, and in what way?

I, for instance, will likely never own the "round" models. I'm a man of limited means, and they're waaaaay out of my price range! For myself, I'm interested in comparisons of the different "rectangular" models which largely go ignored in this thread.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  That's exactly what I'm looking for too.   

I am in the same boat as you - no 007 or 009 for me.   But not adverse to investing in a higher Lamda model at some point.  However, if the consensus is "stick with the 2170" and it's the best value for the money, then that's fine.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #9,129 of 25,611
The people in this thread speak nearly an entirely different language from the rest of the HeadFi site.
Unfortunately much of the language being spoken is balderdash.

My advice would be to research mindfully and draw your own conclusions where possible. There is plenty of Stax wisdom to be found hidden in plain sight and the challenge is sifting past the noise.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,131 of 25,611
  IMO, the difference between entry level Stax headphones and the top of the line isn't night and day. 

The difference is even less when you compare say SR207 to SR407 or SR507.

Sorry, disagree. I had 4 Lambda models ending with the LNS unit, then a 507 for a short while, then the 007 MK2.5, 007A 2015 and the 009. Until I got to the 007 I hadn't been convinced of the Stax bass response at all amongst other things. Yes the Lambda frame units are airy, good soundstage width and on some music types very good indeed. But they didn't sound right / accurate to me. And the Lambda's I had all had an upper treble coldness / etch that exaggerated any DAC / Digital issues.

The 007 and 009 need good amps to really deliver, and then they are miles ahead (all IMO). Having said that, the X07 units can make folk happy, as they do some things really well, just not all the things I wanted from my music.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #9,132 of 25,611

The Entry level Stax thread may be a happier hunting ground, then:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #9,133 of 25,611
I find the low end of the 207 to be really nice.  It has just enough heft for me.  If bass response is supposed to be a weak point of the Lambda series in general, that's good news to me.  I tried a couple of planars (PM-3, 400s) and wasn't all that wowed with the bass anyway. 

The Entry Level thread doesn't get much activity, so that's why I posted here. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #9,134 of 25,611

The Entry level Stax thread may be a happier hunting ground, then:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

Ahhh! I did not know of that thread, thanks!

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #9,135 of 25,611
  IMO, the difference between entry level Stax headphones and the top of the line isn't night and day. 

The difference is even less when you compare say SR207 to SR407 or SR507.

That's my experience as well, as a former "square" and current "round" user. My decision to get a 007 probably had more to do with fit and ergonomics than it had to do with my perception of better sound quality compared to the 407/507. To me, the differences are very small. But the 009 fits my head and ears so comfortably, I might just have to get one at some point. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back