The Stax Thread III
Feb 2, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #10,996 of 25,656

The more time I spend trying out high end dynamic and planar magnetic headphones, the more appreciative I've become of Stax. They may not look the sharpest, but they have it where it counts. Just had to share that with someone else who could relate :nerd:

I relate!
beerchug.gif

Nice. But IMO the rest are catching up. And the Stax 'sound' is not for everyone of course. The 009 is polarising, the 007 more forgiving.

Mind there are fans of the Abyss who don't like the Utopia and the reverse as well.

I am off to CanJam this year so will hear how it is with the other contenders like the Utopia and Abyss. Can't wait to hear how far the HE-1 has got in the outer orbit of what's possible.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #10,997 of 25,656
Very contradicting to say when you haven't heard the Abyss, Utopia, HE-1, as well I'd surmise HE1000 whatever version nor MrSpeakers whichever FOTM, Julian. Just a little curious is all.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #10,998 of 25,656
  Very contradicting to say when you haven't heard the Abyss, Utopia, HE-1, as well I'd surmise HE1000 whatever version nor MrSpeakers whichever FOTM, Julian. Just a little curious is all.

I have heard the LCD-4 which I did like quite a bit, didn't like the HD800. I am trusting the posts by folk I trust to flag up my theory here. A mass of opinion seems to be heading that way, including Tyll who more recently seems to have fallen out of love with the 009 (tizzy treble I think he called it). My mind is open to new contenders, but proof in in the demo's. Even at shows it is difficult. I have my trusty USB stick with me so will use well known tracks for the demo's.

IMO Electrostatics do have a unique kind of take / sound / whatever you want to call it. I love it personally, but as I said, it may not be for everyone.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #10,999 of 25,656

I have heard the LCD-4 which I did like quite a bit, didn't like the HD800. I am trusting the posts by folk I trust to flag up my theory here. A mass of opinion seems to be heading that way, including Tyll who more recently seems to have fallen out of love with the 009 (tizzy treble I think he called it). My mind is open to new contenders, but proof in in the demo's. Even at shows it is difficult. I have my trusty USB stick with me so will use well known tracks for the demo's.

IMO Electrostatics do have a unique kind of take / sound / whatever you want to call it. I love it personally, but as I said, it may not be for everyone.

Right. So a very baseless comment you inferred from other people's experience. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #11,000 of 25,656

Right. So a very baseless comment you inferred from other people's experience. 

No, as I said IMO it seems the others are catching up. My opinion is based on the huge influx of top HPs that are non Electrostatics. The market has exploded somewhat. IMO the LCD-4 is close to my 007, maybe better in some aspects. It is a serious challenge having Focus making a new HP, I rate their speakers highly. I will report back my findings to confirm my theory or not.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #11,001 of 25,656

No, as I said IMO it seems the others are catching up. My opinion is based on the huge influx of top HPs that are non Electrostatics. The market has exploded somewhat. IMO the LCD-4 is close to my 007, maybe better in some aspects. It is a serious challenge having Focus making a new HP, I rate their speakers highly. I will report back my findings to confirm my theory or not.

The huge influx that you haven't heard. I get it. Listen to your hearts content. But do listen.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #11,002 of 25,656
  Nice. But IMO the rest are catching up. And the Stax 'sound' is not for everyone of course. The 009 is polarising, the 007 more forgiving.

Mind there are fans of the Abyss who don't like the Utopia and the reverse as well.

I am off to CanJam this year so will hear how it is with the other contenders like the Utopia and Abyss. Can't wait to hear how far the HE-1 has got in the outer orbit of what's possible.

I know.  I've heard the 009 using a BHSE and wasn't all that impressed but I also heard it using the amp that Frank Cooter made for Jude and it sounded fantastic.  One of the best I've ever heard. I've never heard the 007 on a good amp.  I don't think my Stax 006ts is up to the task of powering it but it does a great job with my L700.    I also heard the Utopia in San Francisco last year.   

That's me in the green shirt listening to it on a Woo amp.  It was a little underwhelming.   

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #11,003 of 25,656

Interesting. I have chatted to Frank Cooter about Audio Note Kit DACs in the past.

Was it this amp? Looks like 6SN7s? but don't know the other big tubes. Nice looking amp indeed! Wonder how much Frank charged for it?

IMO the BHSE can sound at it's best on NOS Mullards, not sure if that was the case when you heard it.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #11,004 of 25,656

Interesting. I have chatted to Frank Cooter about Audio Note Kit DACs in the past.

Was it this amp? Looks like 6SN7s? but don't know the other big tubes. Nice looking amp indeed! Wonder how much Frank charged for it?

IMO the BHSE can sound at it's best on NOS Mullards, not sure if that was the case when you heard it.

That's the one!  Tyle interviewed Frank a few years ago and he said that sufficient pressure was applied to make him build the amp.  I was later told by someone in the know that it meant he was offered so much money he couldn't turn it down!

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #11,005 of 25,656

Top photo is of the separate powersupply (with mercury vapor rectifiers).

Bottom is the amp itself. 76 input tube DC coupled to 6V6 (triode strapped) interstage transformer coupled to the 845 with OPT to headphones.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #11,006 of 25,656
Not quite on topic but close: how much of the baby orpheus's potential does the HEV70 get? And what are some better pairings? 

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #11,007 of 25,656
  Not quite on topic but close: how much of the baby orpheus's potential does the HEV70 get? And what are some better pairings? 

The Baby Orpheus (HE-60) is greatly letdown by the HEV-70, the amp is capacitor coupled to the phones and used 1980's era Jfet opamps, (TI TL07x series) with that pairing the presentation is thin and uninteresting, the Koss ESP950 handily outperforms it. (It also has a poorly designed switched mode supply that likes to overheat and shutdown)

With the appropriate bias resistor changes I use the HE-60 on the Stax SRM727 and the SRM-007t and the KGSSHV, in the order of increasing performance.

In this pairing the midrange and spatial imaging comes close to the SR-009, it lacks the lightning fast attack and bass heft.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #11,008 of 25,656
STAX friends,

Is anyone here familiar with SR-003MK2? I've been wanting some of the in ear STAX for a while. I've been eyeing them on eBay...

Hopefully I can find an amp which they'll run off of without too much trouble. There are plenty of bundles with the 252S on eBay, but I'm not such a fan of that amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back