The Stax Thread III
Aug 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #12,722 of 25,564
...., I still prefer my modded 007 Mk1 over the 009 .

what mod did you applied to your SR007 ? Just closing the vent at the cable side or something else ?

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #12,724 of 25,564
what mod did you applied to your SR007 ? Just closing the vent at the cable side or something else ?

The Mk1 does not have a vent. I had one or more more detailed posts earlier, but currently I have the following (also applicable to the Mk2/3, with or without the port mod; I am minority in that I didn't like the port mod on the Mk2/3, made the sound less clear/more muddy).
- springs out
- dust screen out
- on the 007 ear pads filling I have cut off the 4 mm thick white ring from the foam, so now it's thinner and has less mass inside the pads
- it's so easy to attach the pads after this :).
All these are reversible. You can leave the second one out, but no, IMUO dust, hair etc don't damage the headphones, since 1) the diaphragm is protected/sealed anyway with 2 thin foils on both sides, 2) I always keep them in the box, 3) we don't have much dust in the house 4) the dust screen doesn't really stop dust anyway, just debris. I just checked the other day, they are completely clean.

Results (measurements published earlier in this space):
- more open mids; mine is early batch, and has more open mids than most other 007s I have heard, but even this is improved. Doesn't approach the 009, it's still a 007, but definitely good enough to stop being dark in any ways.
- larger and more realistic sound stage
- better microdynamics / more life
- better deep bass with nice texture, in fact nearly linear down to 15 Hz, rolling off about ~3 dB at 20 Hz
- more relaxed sound
- more linear/smooth between 20 and 1000 Hz.

The 007 Mk2 changes in the same direction, but it has more midbass slam instead of more deep bass slam, the Mk1 has more open mids and sounds a bit smoother/more fluid IMHO. However, I preferred the Mk2 for jazz for instance.

The 009 pads on the 007 result in having more mids and midbass - very nice sound, but the above mods are within reach for every owner, without needing to buy 009 pads.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #12,725 of 25,564
I prefer the 007A (mk2) for more relaxed/enjoyment listening, and the 009 for more critical/focused listening.

The 007A sounds thicker/lush with more lower bass than the 009, whereas the 009 sounds faster and more detailed.

Sadly, my budget can't stretch a BHSE or a Carbon, and have not heard either....

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #12,726 of 25,564
Been trying lots of amps with the 009 the past few days at local stores.
Tried the WES, which i found to be the lushiest, smoothest and lacked detail
Then the T8000, which i found to be a disappointment . I felt it was really peaky and forward and somewhat grainy. thin sounding and the bass lacked body. Music didnt sound cohesive on this at all
BHSE, didnt have the 009 when i tried it but it paired amazingly with a L700, a setup i might consider
I have a carbon coming in sometime soon so i can compare it with the rest
In the meantime, jelt2359 was kind enough to lend me his DIY T2
30a87dbe-2b8e-45f1-9423-3e425f107742.jpg

This amp is still a little bright for my taste. I believe itll be more suited to my taste with some tube rolling
Other than that, this is the most holographic, clean, detailed and smooth amp ive tried.
Really impressed thus far, shall wait for the carbon to come in and see how close it is to this
Theres also this VE tube amp that i'll get to try sometime this week. the VE guy claims that it has less distortion than the BHSE so we'll see.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #12,729 of 25,564
Then the T8000, which i found to be a disappointment . I felt it was really peaky and forward and somewhat grainy. thin sounding and the bass lacked body. Music didnt sound cohesive on this at all
BHSE, didnt have the 009 when i tried it but it paired amazingly with a L700, a setup i might consider

This amp is still a little bright for my taste. I believe itll be more suited to my taste with some tube rolling
Other than that, this is the most holographic, clean, detailed and smooth amp ive tried.
Really impressed thus far, shall wait for the carbon to come in and see how close it is to this
Theres also this VE tube amp that i'll get to try sometime this week. the VE guy claims that it has less distortion than the BHSE so we'll see.
That should be my Carbon :wink:

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #12,731 of 25,564

If you thought the t2 was a tad bright, you will likely find the carbon to be a bit more so. Which carbon version are you getting?

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #12,732 of 25,564
The ever ending discussions over the 007MK1 or recent MK2 2015 v the 009. I don't think either is perfect. IMO the 007 is masking what is going on to 'hide' grain or digital edge in a typical DAC source. So much more forgiving and easier to system match, get to a certain level. But the layer the 009 digs out is the holy grail, the decay and depth, closer to what id going on. The soundstage is also wider. And the 007 is sluggish and doesn't match the 009s speed even on the BHSE or Carbon. I disagree on the 009s bass, it has as much as the 007, and is more leaner and goes deeper. The 007 has a bass bump and gives the impression of more.

Moving onto the treble level and quality, it is similar to what you get with high end speakers v bookshelf speakers, there is a price to pay for the extra information it digs out. And that information will punish you if your DAC and server isn't well sorted and good quality. So much so, many sell on the 009 and keep it but end up preferring the 007. Personal taste and all that, but I firmly believe the 009 is way ahead, it is in my system.

So this vein continues as we go through the amps, and move up to the BHSE/Carbon/T2 IMO. You get more, but you can't always expect to be forgiven if the rest of the system is leaning towards brightness. Many modern DS DACs have gone this way IMO, it sells the sound in demos, and is impressive for a while. They can sound bright in high end speakers and horn speakers as well, not just the 009s. Huge generalisation, but the path I had trodden for the last 20 years of digital, that is my findings. And as go get better speakers or HPs, it doesn't get any easier.

The BHSE with NOS tubes and an R-2R DAC seems to work very well, minimal brightness issues. I heard it with the Holo Spring DAC at Can-Jam and I could be happy with that I believe (on the tracks I heard it on). My own DAC is tubed and R-2R and is not known as a detail freak DAC, rather slightly warm if anything. This no doubt helps in my case. It would be interesting to hear from a top vinyl source and the 009s, see how that sounds? I bet it would be spot on, though the clicks and surface noise may drive you insane!

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #12,733 of 25,564
If you thought the t2 was a tad bright, you will likely find the carbon to be a bit more so. Which carbon version are you getting?
George, if i may add - he's bought my Carbon built by Soren B. It has the GRLV and GRHV PS and is one transparent amp - rolling cables/sources will entail different sonic signatures to be channeled through. I was using the L300 with it - didn't sound bright but very airy. Probably not even fully burnt in yet before i sold it off to try something else.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #12,734 of 25,564
I am not entirely sure, but I think the brightness or treble energy in the Carbon can be controlled a bit with the level of the mA setting from the PS. Mine is at 18mA, on 16mA less so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back