The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #14,161 of 24,807

Quote:

It costs too much to build? Takes too long? Will cost too much as a commercial product?

All of the above, really. The benefit of DIY is that you use premium components and there is no manufacturer markup. So you can build things that would otherwise not be commercially viable.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #14,162 of 24,807
Might be an idea to ask Justin W. if he is going to build the HV since the KGSS is discontinued as far as I know.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #14,163 of 24,807
Yes, if it going to pop up, it will be a replacement to the KGSS at Headamp. Can't imagine it will be anytime soon though......

Quote:
Might be an idea to ask Justin W. if he is going to build the HV since the KGSS is discontinued as far as I know.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #14,164 of 24,807

Quote:
Hey Muppet, I've been reading your posts in the LCD-2 thread but I don't recall what stat amp were you using before. (EDIT: Nevermind--I took a look at your profile and it lists your other amps.) How does it compare to the KGSS objectively? I don't mean audiophile hyperbole but very rational and objective comparisons (meaning if you had to concentrate hard to hear the differences, then the differences are very subtle).

Listening to the KGSS vs. 323A without concentrating too much on analyzing all the subtle differences, it was very obvious to my ears right away that with the KGSS the O2 was no longer dark sounding, had more pronounced bass, and had a larger soundstage. On the 323A it was like eating something prepared by one of the world's finest chefs, only with a cold: you can sense just how amazing it is, but it's being held back. 

I was skeptical for a while about just how much more enjoyable the O2 could be on the KGSS vs. the 323A or T1W. I'm now a firm believer.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #14,165 of 24,807
Congrats on the KGSS Muppetface!  I'm jealous that you were able to find one FS.
smily_headphones1.gif
 Before you got the KGSS, did you find the O2 was lacking for a better term out of the 323A and T1W?  Or was it when you got the KGSS when you heard it open up that you found that it was just missing that little bit.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #14,166 of 24,807

Quote:
Congrats on the KGSS Muppetface!  I'm jealous that you were able to find one FS.
smily_headphones1.gif
 Before you got the KGSS, did you find the O2 was lacking for a better term out of the 323A and T1W?  Or was it when you got the KGSS when you heard it open up that you found that it was just missing that little bit.

The O2 was nice sounding, even out of the 323A and the T1W, but I actually liked the Lambdas more than the O2 running off those amps. I think a lot of the comments that people make about the O2 sounding dark fit how they sounded out of the 323A / T1W. The level of detail was still greater than the Lambdas but the O2 just seemed a bit flat in comparison. I'd describe the O2 as "good" on those amps.

With the KGSS they really do come alive. They go from good to excellent, and definitely beat any Lambda I've heard for listening enjoyment [to my ears].

When I purchased my O2mk1 I didn't own anything better than the 323A, but I went ahead and bought them because the seller gave me a really good deal and they were in near mint condition. I just couldn't pass them up. They didn't wow me at the time on my 323A, and it was pretty obvious that it was due to the amp's lack of power. Until I purchased the KGSS, they stayed in their flight case tucked away safely while my 404LE got all the attention.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #14,167 of 24,807

Quote:

The O2 was nice sounding, even out of the 323A and the T1W, but I actually liked the Lambdas more than the O2 running off those amps. I think a lot of the comments that people make about the O2 sounding dark fit how they sounded out of the 323A / T1W. The level of detail was still greater than the Lambdas but the O2 just seemed a bit flat in comparison. I'd describe the O2 as "good" on those amps.

With the KGSS they really do come alive. They go from good to excellent, and definitely beat any Lambda I've heard for listening enjoyment [to my ears].

When I purchased my O2mk1 I didn't own anything better than the 323A, but I went ahead and bought them because the seller gave me a really good deal and they were in near mint condition. I just couldn't pass them up. They didn't wow me at the time on my 323A, and it was pretty obvious that it was due to the amp's lack of power. Until I purchased the KGSS, they stayed in their flight case tucked away safely while my 404LE got all the attention.

Thanks for the reply MuppetFace.  I guess I need to go out and hear a KGSS for myself to hear the difference.  I've heard them from the WES so I know they can sound better.  Right now I'm satisfied with my set up but the KGSS curiosity is really hard to fight off.     

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #14,168 of 24,807
I'm trying to decide which stax headphone to get with 350$ but it seems there isn't one that is really better than other and it depends on tastes..

So which one you recommend and why,describe it sonically if possible.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #14,170 of 24,807
Quote:

You're not the first to say that and i've always wondered something, does it mean the O2 sounds as bright as a Lambda out of something like the KGSS? Personnally I like the tonal balance of the O2 much better than all the Lambdas I've heard, even out of my 212. And that is precisely because of its more relaxed treble (and also the bigger bass). That is quite paradoxical to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #14,171 of 24,807
SR-Omega III? Looks like I should not miss the fall headphone festival at Fujiya...
=> http://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/d-style/1010_headphone_fes.html

From the little I understood, this is just a prototype at this stage but there's a chance to have it unveiled at the end of the month?
=> http://avic.livedoor.biz/

Ouch, I did not plan on this for xmas...

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #14,173 of 24,807

Quote:
SR-Omega III? Looks like I should not miss the fall headphone festival at Fujiya...
=> http://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/d-style/1010_headphone_fes.html

From the little I understood, this is just a prototype at this stage but there's a chance to have it unveiled at the end of the month?
=> http://avic.livedoor.biz/

Ouch, I did not plan on this for xmas...

No Way. You gotta be kidding me.

I just paid for a new 007mk2 and THIS? I'm very intrigued.

Thank God the resell value of Stax products are high though.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back