The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #12,796 of 24,807
Am I the only person who wears Lambdas in a way that makes my ear seal against the driver? My ears slip in between the earpads and driver and the earpads go all the way around my ears and press against my head. I don't understand the earpad reviews unless other people are wearing their Lambdas supra aurally and I'm the only person wearing them circumaural.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #12,798 of 24,807
The 404LE has flatter, real leather pads than the thicker synthetic pads of the 404.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #12,799 of 24,807
Does anyone have any experience with the srm-600 limited? I can get a decent price for it in Japan, but i only want to dish the money out if I have some strong recommendations for users here.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #12,802 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by paxeaxe23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if there is any real difference between the 202 and the 303 ? I don't need the drive unit as I'm bulding the eXStata.

I too am very interested in the responses to this. I tried the 2050 system yesterday and was quite impressed with it. Very smooth, transparent and detailed sound. I was wondering what improvements are to be expected if I were to choose the 3050 system instead.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #12,803 of 24,807
PianoForte

"Does anyone have any experience with the srm-600 limited? I can get a decent price for it in Japan, but i only want to dish the money out if I have some strong recommendations for users here"

Not much information about it in this thread but here is some:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kds5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

Have very limited experience with Stax, so take my impressions with a large dose of salt. Here's my impressions for what it's worth:-

I'd heard the O2 and HE60 through the Blue Hawaii at our local meet and wasn't blown away by it. Both had the clarity and detail, but not the lower and mid bass I wanted (especially for 80's rock music).

Ironically, it was my friend's humble rig - SR-404 Ltd/T1 combo that got my attention. Had the mid-bass weight and very forward vocals that I was looking for. Decided then and there that I wanted the SR-404 Ltd. Went to my local distributor and, as luck would have it, he had 1 SRM-600 Ltd and was prepared to give me a good price for both on the last day of 2009...
biggrin.gif

Brought my SRM-600 Ltd to my friend's place for a quick comparison with the T1 yesterday. Cans used were the Omega, SR-4070 and SR-404 Ltd. Through the SRM-600 Ltd, the SR-404 Ltd was the most forward and had the weightiest mid-bass. The Omega's mids were more recessed in comparison, but the clarity and low bass punch was breathtaking. All 4 of us liked the 4070 the least - we all said that it sounded like a dynamic can...

As for the SR-404 Ltd paired with the T1 and SRM-600 Ltd, the general view was that the SRM-600 Ltd gave a punchier bass and had better overall control over the SR-404 Ltd than the T1. Difference wasn't so great to me, but my friend who owns the T1 said that it's pretty significant.

I really like the SR-404 Ltd signature, so the SRM-600 Ltd seemed like the logical pairing. Even though they are fresh out of the box, I'm very happy with the combo, more so the more I listen with them (which isn't always the case). Half my dynamic cans will now have to find a new home...
biggrin.gif

Glad I took the leap to Stax...
beerchug.gif

kds5000 is one of the few one around here who owns it, although there could be more. I suppose you could ask him directly.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #12,804 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoForte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any experience with the srm-600 limited? I can get a decent price for it in Japan, but i only want to dish the money out if I have some strong recommendations for users here.

Yes, I have one. I think it is good with the 404LE and 4070. But then it was designed to go with the 404LE. It seems to have all kinds of enhancements when compared with other Stax amps (beter grade quality parts that is.) But - I do not have any real comparison with other amps. I listened to some after I bought this one and I think the SRM-600 is better, but that is based on shop-comparisons, so not ideally. And maybe coloured by the fact that I already own the thing.
BTW my SRM-600 is now converted by a Stax dealer in Amsterdam to 230V - and that makes a difference. There was some background hum if not grounded correctly. That hum greatly diminished after the conversion (most people didn't hear it when I demonstrated this - even when I told them what was there. And that was before the conversion, so properly grounded after the conversion the background is really "black").

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #12,805 of 24,807
Quote:

There was some background hum if not grounded correctly. That hum greatly diminished after the conversion

I can confirm this for SRM-006T II. After I modded it to 220V, the hum was almost gone, even without grounding the case of the amp .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back