The Ultimate MC/MM phono stage, F-117, Nighthawk...
Jun 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #196 of 210
IMHO, you would have to be a SERIOUS vinyl junkie, who played a LOT of vinyl, to have it be any kind of issue.

The battery in the Nighthawk is going to last longer than your current phono cartridge.  And probably the one after that...and the one after that...

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #197 of 210
The batteries should last a very long time.  The best thing is that the performance of the phono doesn't deteriorate as the battery loses charge.  This was a concern of mine which I clarified with Ray.  Basically, the phono stage will turn off if the supplied power is not optimum for perfect operation.  There is no loss in sound quality with the battery discharging.  If it is working, it is working perfectly OR it turns off.

If the batteries ever need replacing in a few years of heavy usage, send the Nighthawk back to Ray for a quick turnaround.  He'll replace the batteries for you and you are back up and running in no time.  This is a small quirk to deal with for the pitch black background of the Nighthawk.  I love the convenience of a server based computer audio setup, however, I still deal with the quirks of vinyl because it's all about the sound in the end for me :)  Double the quirks with those 45rpm discs where I have to get up ever 10 minutes or so to change the side :wink:

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #198 of 210

Quote:
Anybody have any comments on how the F-117 compares to the XR-2? I've read that the XR-10B can be upgraded to use the same ICs as the F-117, but what about the XR-2? I know Ray and others here consider it irrational or unjustified, but I still have some concerns about obsolescence and battery powered devices. I'm really tempted by the Nighthawk, but I am just more comfortable with something that can be plugged into a readily available power source for many years to come.

Thanks,

Andrew

I have the F-117 as well as the XR-2 and I have even had the XR-2 upgraded as noted in the "Enjoy The Music" review of the F-117 to use the same chipset as the F-117.  I would say go for the F-117 and save yourself at least $300 and enjoy the flexibility of it.  As stated throughout the thread, it really is a game changer for its $795 retail price.  The ability to adjust the load and the gain is unheard of.  No more dip switch inside the unit requiring the case to be removed to change.  Also, there is even more flexibility than the dip switches offer.  

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #200 of 210
Quote:
No more dip switch inside the unit requiring the case to be removed to change.  Also, there is even more flexibility than the dip switches offer.  

How many gain settings does the XR-2 offer? The range of adjustments and flexibility offered by the F-117 are appealing and may outweigh my concerns about the battery.

Quote:
Would a new XR-2 come with the new chipset, or would it have to be upgraded?

I just read the enjoythemusic.com review of the F-117 and it says "[size=x-small]All new XR-10B or XR-2 phono preamplifiers purchased from now on will incorporate the new ICs that make the F-117 such a great performer." [/size]

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #202 of 210
I talked with Ray to verify and he indicated newly purchased XR-2s would have the new chips installed.  However, the F-117 is still the one to beat with its control over the gain and loading.  With the XR-2 you only get one gain setting for MC.  The best gain setting can vary with the cartridge.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #209 of 210
Congratulation Ray on the Blue Note Award in the September EJTM Review Magazine.

[size=small]
best_of_2010_sm.jpg
[/size]

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0410/ray_samuels_f_117_nighthawk.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back