The ultra portable review thread
Sep 24, 2014 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bio-Rhythm

100+ Head-Fier
Please use this thread if you are a big fan of small/micro audio technology. For me, this is the balance, or some may say compromise, between having the highest audio quality with the most portable and comfortable form factor.

At present my chosen ultra portable audio tech is a sandisk sansa clip+ audio player with the sennheiser px100 II headphones.

Brief review of each;

sandisk sansa clip+

Simple in design , comparatively ultra light weight ,clip it where you want for ease of music control, good rockbox upgradable firmware,plays many audio formats,battery can power the unit all day;memory card slot;very robust and reliable audio player.

sennheiser px100 II

enjoyable open backed drivers with satisfying audio quality , a modest sound stage for non fatiguing prolonged listening, very comfortable and light weight,robust ,low form factor,competitively priced.

To summarise

I find the sennheiser px100 II's sound enjoyable for ultra portable use. It delivers the required frequencies with a lively response without having the issues that larger headphones have whilst playing electronic genres of music,i.e. - a out of head sound. As I find this can be disorienting with the types of digitally produced music I listen to, as most electronic music doesn’t feature the rich spatial audio signals that live recordings do (tribal house can be the exception).

The sansa clip+ has more than enough power for the px100 II's and as far as I am aware no other clip on audio player is matched by it's sound.

A few ideas for future Improvements for Sennheiser px100 III's

The Sennheiser px100 II is physically limited by how much punch it can deliver by the size of it's drivers. Though possibly using higher grade materials in the production of the drivers could tighten up the sound and give a faster transient response. The driver size could be slightly increased whilst using lighter weight alloys to keep the weight down.
The design of the head band and cups could be aerodynamic rather than aesthetic to reduce air disturbance,this would improve perceived audio quality whilst moving or in windy conditions .

A few ideas for future improvements for the sansa clip + +

The best audio chip that will fit! . Removable,slot in, lithium battery’s .

Please share your experience of your ultra portable audio technology & Enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back