The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #3,527 of 3,549
Can confirm, for a killer mid-fi setup, the Nitsch Pietus Maximus makes the ZMF Attiucs VERY happy, which makes me VERY VERY happy. :D

Chord_Mojo2_01.jpg

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #3,528 of 3,549
Real question, other than if isolation is needed, why pick closed over open? Like the AO and AC, does the AC offer anything different?
Bass. Not that the Atrium open is bass light, far from it, but the AC's bass is just other-worldly.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #3,529 of 3,549
do you hear a difference between the 421a and 5998s?
Curious about this as well @robo24- as 5998s are my go-to power tubes in my WA2 (yes, I know GEC 6AS7Gs are likely better, but they are so darn spendy!)…

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #3,530 of 3,549
I also got an AC to complement my Auteur and it worked out so well. The rock music I enjoy sounds stunning.
For those with Auteur and Atrium, what genres, artists, etc do you prefer on each one? I have an Atrium Open. Wondering if grabbing some Auteurs would get used much or if I’d just keep reaching for the atrium. Is there something the Auteur beats out the atrium?

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #3,531 of 3,549
For those with Auteur and Atrium, what genres, artists, etc do you prefer on each one? I have an Atrium Open. Wondering if grabbing some Auteurs would get used much or if I’d just keep reaching for the atrium. Is there something the Auteur beats out the atrium?
I had the Auteur Classic, Atrium open and Verite open all at the same time. Found myself wanting the VO for classical and jazz, and the AO for rock, folk and blues. The AuCl fell somewhere in the middle; a great all-arounder, but not as good as either of the other two for my preferences. Except, and this will sound weird, for some reason, the AuCl was the best for listening to the Grateful Dead (can't explain it - just heard it).

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #3,532 of 3,549
I had the Auteur Classic, Atrium open and Verite open all at the same time. Found myself wanting the VO for classical and jazz, and the AO for rock, folk and blues. The AuCl fell somewhere in the middle; a great all-arounder, but not as good as either of the other two for my preferences. Except, and this will sound weird, for some reason, the AuCl was the best for listening to the Grateful Dead (can't explain it - just heard it).
It's funny you mention the Dead. I listen to some Dead but much more into Phish. I find my AO's are very enjoyable on almost anything I throw at them. But one area they seem to fall short for me is listening to live Phish (for which there is a lot). I am treble sensitive so I really like that the AO's are rolled off up there but I don't find them lacking. But when I listen to live Phish I feel Fishman's drumming (particularly symbol work) is buried. With Phish, I really like to hear what every instrument is doing. I actually prefer to listen to live Phish on my AirPod Max. Not audiophile but a more enjoyable experience. Studio Phish sounds great on the Atrium.

Not sure if what I said would apply to a lot of live recordings or just my preference for this band. Just find it interesting.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #3,533 of 3,549
The Caldera will give you equal (or imo better) technicalities to the LCD-5 coupled with equal or better physicality of the HE6SE
I’ll check them out if I get an opportunity. They’re a bit spendy for a roll of the dice for me.

FWIW I did get to compare the LCD-5 to the Susvara (running on DCS Lina Stack), Diana, and Expanse and thought the LCD-5 bested them all in technicalities and timbre. The only one that I thought was equal or better that I heard at the show was the Stax SR-X9000, but getting into electrostatics would just be a whole other chain that I’m not wanting to do right now.

That’s the show where I fell I love with the VC though, I thought it was the best dynamic headphone I heard that day and why I went out and got one.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #3,534 of 3,549
Nice! Yeah they def bring the thunder.
I didn't want to skew your thoughts, but do you hear a difference between the 421a and 5998s?
Yes, they seem to have a bigger sound, more expansive, sweeter sound, more body. Only issue is my 2 421A have slight difference. One has 2 rectangle getters and more black plates with differences in the plate indentations. The other has 1 rectangle getter and is more of a grey plate. Swapped in the Cossor (probably Mullard) GZ37 and that took it up another level.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #3,535 of 3,549
I’ll check them out if I get an opportunity. They’re a bit spendy for a roll of the dice for me.

FWIW I did get to compare the LCD-5 to the Susvara (running on DCS Lina Stack), Diana, and Expanse and thought the LCD-5 bested them all in technicalities and timbre. The only one that I thought was equal or better that I heard at the show was the Stax SR-X9000, but getting into electrostatics would just be a whole other chain that I’m not wanting to do right now.

That’s the show where I fell I love with the VC though, I thought it was the best dynamic headphone I heard that day and why I went out and got one.

cool. great you got to try for yourself, there is simply no better way to determine what's best for you!

for context, I prefer the Susvara over the LCD-5, so you may want to take my input with a grain of salt as it may not match up with yours (but I also have the X9k and, technically, it is really superb, so agree on that).

I owned the VC and for two years it gave me supreme joy. At some point, try the AC. It's a very different flavor, but the ZMF dynamic DNA is shared. Curious how you would find it!

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #3,536 of 3,549
Yes, they seem to have a bigger sound, more expansive, sweeter sound, more body. Only issue is my 2 421A have slight difference. One has 2 rectangle getters and more black plates with differences in the plate indentations. The other has 1 rectangle getter and is more of a grey plate. Swapped in the Cossor (probably Mullard) GZ37 and that took it up another level.
Thanks Rob! Maybe someday I’ll score a pair of 421As… they aren’t cheap either, but not that much more expensive than 5998s.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #3,537 of 3,549
Taking a moment to appreciate my two favorite amps with my two favorite headphones.

Both the Atrium Closed and Verite Closed are driven exquistely by the 1101 Blue Halo+ amp. This specific tube combo (4x Chatham 6AS7G + National Union 6J5GT) sounds especially magical with the AC. Amazing driver control/grip, speed, expansiveness, slam, and pure fun factor. Slays every genre I've listened to and takes the edge for the most "natural/lifelike" sound.

Verite Closed + DSHA-3FN is always a winner and in a class of it's own. Not better or worse than the AC, it's just different. It's like stepping into a F1 car. Ultimate in speed, precision, and handling. Direct and engaging "road feel" - you get ALL the information delivered energetically, yet somehow refined and graceful enough to not lead to fatigue.

The Yggy MIB has opened the door to new levels of technical amazement: particulary in flat frequency response, 3d spatial presentation, and hauntingly refined microdetail.

I have no regrets with deciding to go all-in on the ZMF universe. Between amp, tube, and headphone rolling, there's a limitless journey of sonic exploration. Trying out different amps/dacs (+pads, tubes) is a huge time investment, but once you get the sound dialed in it's absolutely worth the time and effort.

trio8.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #3,538 of 3,549
Great combination I once had involved the ZMF VC, Soekris dac1421, and Feliks Elise with Pvane and GEC 6080 tubes.

The Verite VC felt faster than on SS, very spacious, had a bit of warmth n the mids, but nice sparkle on top. That tube & amp combination also curbed a treble spike it has somewhere I found bothersome without killing the treble energy much.

Was great - had I known the sorce matters a bunch, I would have probably invested in something like an Innuos Mini and called it there for life.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #3,540 of 3,549
Great combination I once had involved the ZMF VC, Soekris dac1421, and Feliks Elise with Pvane and GEC 6080 tubes.

The Verite VC felt faster than on SS, very spacious, had a bit of warmth n the mids, but nice sparkle on top. That tube & amp combination also curbed a treble spike it has somewhere I found bothersome without killing the treble energy much.

Was great - had I known the sorce matters a bunch, I would have probably invested in something like an Innuos Mini and called it there for life.
For me, a good R2R DAC (like the Soekris above or a Schiit Multibit unit) combined with a tube amp (preferably an output transformerless design) with a ZMF dynamic driver headphone is ALWAYS a good bet. 👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back