THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #136 of 856
May 12, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #137 of 856
@goldwerger sent me a PM to invite me over and let me know this thread exists. Now that its not an IEM focused thread (so I might actually be able to have some non smooth brained input, lol) happy to be here :)

Not much new going on with my system these days, but I'll see how it goes in the future. Listening to my ELITE's at the moment and thoroughly enjoying them.

May 12, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #138 of 856
ut yes, in general tube amps do pair well with NOS DAC
NOS DACs are the only kind I use in my 2 office systems. I find w/NOS digital, everything just sounds right. Not quite analog, but also not "digital."

In my side system the loaner Aegis* & Icon Audio HP8 both run off the Metrum Onyx, IMO a solid, middle-lane DAC with excellent sound.

(my tc-tube rodeo)

*can't say enough good things about this amazing design by @L0rdGwyn, brought to market by ZMF.

May 12, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #139 of 856
a somewhat jarring juxtaposition, if I may say

I've been there

We are all people who take our hobbies to the extremes I think 😉

In my case, I’ve broken so many bones and had so many surgeries it’s hard to keep track. But, each time, I come out stronger and my passion for training brings a smile to my face each day anew 😁

In my (other) happy zone…
IMG_0025.jpeg

Listening to my ELITE's at the moment and thoroughly enjoying them.

The Angled Alcantara pads made all the difference to me and what made me buy them a second time. Still a very relaxed presentation, but much more spacious and well defined. And these are such comfortable headphones…!

can't say enough good things about this amazing design by @L0rdGwyn, brought to market by ZMF.

+1 !!!

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #140 of 856
Any reason to max the volume pot on the amp side?

If the potentiometer at the amp side isn't at max volume, then it is doing some amount of attenuation. You want all attenuation to be done by the AVC. In a normal resistive potentiometer, the pot acts as a voltage divider. Some signal makes it to the input stage, the rest of it is dissipated in the potentiometer as heat. In an AVC attenuator, rather than losing signal, the AVC does a voltage to current conversion and no signal is lost.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #142 of 856
20230613_201414.jpg
20231220_112655.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #144 of 856
May 12, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #146 of 856
I have to say, even with different headphones, that I felt the improvement over MScaler was easily noticeable.

Wow!

Rob has been talking about this upcoming launch for a few months now. Will have to demo it next CanJam..

May 12, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #147 of 856
still very curious about Lampizator, in particular the Atlantic TRP3; have always been keen to try a tube dac and the price is palatable compared to their higher end models. my dealer friend can get it but he seems to be advising against it; something about build quality and the uncertainty and reliability of tube dacs.
I had an OG Lampi TRP up until about a year ago. I never had any issues with it in the four years I owned it.
I'd say that Lampis are great DACs, but lack treble extension, regardless of which tubes I had in place. Imaging is otherwordly though.

The only advice I can give is if you own a tube amp be prepared to spend a great deal of time trying to find tube rolls on both amp and DAC, that compliment each other.

BTW, the N. American Lampi rep is a member here. If you're interested in his contact info, drop me a DM.

May 12, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #148 of 856
Anyone else plugging their gear into a balanced power transformer? If so what brand? :)

May 12, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #149 of 856
I have to say, even with different headphones, that I felt the improvement over MScaler was easily noticeable.
Whoa, is it worth the upgrade? I have TT2 and Mscaler. I love the combo and how it stacks.

May 12, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #150 of 856
Anyone else plugging their gear into a balanced power transformer? If so what brand? :)

I was for a while, not currently. I used a vintage MGE / Topaz 2.5kVA low capacitance isolation transformer. I rewired it for balanced. Thought it made an improvement when I initially set it up, but later I wasn't so sure. Regardless it's too freaking huge and heavy, so now it's in storage :) bad news for my cat who loved to sit on it. You can get smaller ones on eBay and elsewhere. VA rating has to be appropriate for all the gear you want to plug into it.

There's a thread on these: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/top...ansformers-for-affordably-clean-power.857448/

IMAG1654.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back