THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 16, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #421 of 1,083
5. Reserved for zmf owners who already have more than one or two sets. Kind of like how high end Ferrari cars work, where they reach out to you when they are releasing a limited production run. Or a right of refusal agreement with their customers?

But then you wouldn't really own it, and you'd have to travel to ZMF's HQ to listen to it?

May 16, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #422 of 1,083
But then you wouldn't really own it, and you'd have to travel to ZMF's HQ to listen to it?
I see what you did there 😂

And not quite like that. I guess a better example would be Porsche GT car allocations. Where there is a limited number available and a sort of right to refusal kicks in.

May 16, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #423 of 1,083
I imagine they already have all the cnc data for the current pieces, you'd just need to switch the materials and cutting tools. I honestly don't think it would be dramatically more expensive, but I know nothing about this 😂
yeah; there's a lot more to manufacturing workflow that most people expect; sure changing the tools, inserts and setup and g-code takes seconds/minutes, but those seconds add up.

i would love to see @zach915m chime in and see what's viable; i think many people would be interested in something along these lines.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #424 of 1,083
yeah; there's a lot more to manufacturing workflow that most people expect; sure changing the tools, inserts and setup and g-code takes seconds/minutes, but those seconds add up.
I would think the up charge could absorb that. Especially once the process was refined and perfected. But I get what you mean.

May 16, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #425 of 1,083
May 16, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #426 of 1,083
I went to Zach and Bevin's presentation at the last NYC CanJam and it was enjoyable hearing their amazing journey from starting in an apartment room to evolving to a larger manufacturing facility in a few years.
Here's a link to the video thanks to Relaxasaurus: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-27#post-18017447
Zach is the mad genius/wizard and Bevin is the excellent business leader and customer service expert that made ZMF such a success.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #427 of 1,083

i would love to see @zach915m chime in and see what's viable; i think many people would be interested in something along these lines.
I think the ZMF custom build model where you can select woods, headbands etc. yourself is an superior approach here.

Especially the gate keeping part feels just wrong.
Knowing that there will be frequent limited runs makes some of us "wait for the perfect sample"
Imagine then finally finding your favourite and being excluded from the chance to even buy it.
Having to be fast enough is hard as it is

May 16, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #428 of 1,083
I think the ZMF custom build model where you can select woods, headbands etc. yourself is an superior approach here.
This will require much more manpower (both in terms of CS and manufacturing), which boils down to how ZMF will handle it.
Regardless, I'd be down to support this venture however possible.

p.s would be cool to get headphone + salire + misc. accessories, or just salire + accessories.

May 16, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #429 of 1,083
Just hooked up my iFi iTube2 as a pre-amp to my fully restored NAD 3020. Sounds really good! I love this receiver. Cranking some Monkees right now. The bass sounds huge on this setup. (with Monitor Audio Silver 9i)

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #430 of 1,083
Tube on Anode Acoustics #1 Amp.

Anode Acoustics is a custom Amplifier maker from India, that provides solid products at a very pocket-friendly price.

1715843495949.png

May 16, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #431 of 1,083
Just hooked up my iFi iTube2 as a pre-amp to my fully restored NAD 3020. Sounds really good! I love this receiver. Cranking some Monkees right now. The bass sounds huge on this setup. (with Monitor Audio Silver 9i)
3020...legend.

May 16, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #433 of 1,083
I do not like this receiver as a headphone amp. It sounds much much better on speakers.
It's been many years since I owned that one, was my first amp as a teenager only to be replaced my a modified Arcam before hitting the Audio lab monos / Tag pre route, ran it with a pair of Tannoy bookshelves. Good times. Nice to see they've still got a following, probably a HOF amp over the years!

There's a really good YT video about NAD and how they came about / what they were about...

Here

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #434 of 1,083
It's been many years since I owned that one, was my first amp as a teenager only to be replaced my a modified Arcam before hitting the Audio lab monos / Tag pre route, ran it with a pair of Tannoy bookshelves. Good times. Nice to see they've still got a following, probably a HOF amp over the years!

There's a really good YT video about NAD and how they came about / what they were about...

Here
I've seen that documentary! It was really great. Very classy and well done. The NAD 3020 is one of the best selling receivers of all time. It was my dad's so it's been in the family since before I was born. He wanted to "upgrade" it so he got a cheap Sony and I took the NAD and had it fully refurbed about 2 years ago. Upgraded the speaker terminals, put in a relay mute, recapped, cleaned from inside out. The only thing that had been done on it was some de-oxit occasionally through-out its lifespan and it still ran like a champ even before the refurb. I'm currently using it as a headphone amp (from the speaker terminals) through my HE6 Adapter. The amp sounds good on pretty much everything but the way it handles synth tracks/synthwave is absolutely phenomenal.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #435 of 1,083
For aesthetics on hp, nice to order, but who cares? Except those that do. Zmf sigs mean nothing to me, if they offered a superior driver, maybe. It’s kinda like fostex th900 lacquering 6 color cups, nice but confuses the markets. Oh the wht ones highs are sr\tringent, the purple bass is better than red…etc…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back