The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 2, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #23,491 of 95,508
No, my friend, it's the other way around. It is in their spare time, that the WM1A was born. They came out with the original Walkman in 1979 and invented DSD in the mid 1990s for crying out loud! If these were anything close to something they did during working hours, the DMP-Z1 would be a wearable capable of wirelessly delivering true-res sounds to an ear-conforming buds that play augmented reality 3D sound all at $200, content included... 😉
Haha, I'm aware. It was just a joke for irony; as in, a lot of this stuff comes off like light work to them.

May 2, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #23,492 of 95,508
Same here, but I work hard to keep up. The pace has slowed a bit of late. Cooler fatigue must be setting in. 😅
Hopefully people are enjoying their equipment. :) I know I am.
Yes that's definitely part of it for me. I finally reached my goal of a perceived endgame and it's hard to get that excited about anything else lately.
And then 30 pages of posts were made right after that 🤣

I've just been keeping an eye on the second hand stuff with a couple targets while waiting for the Canadian Tours to reach the Ontario segment.

Of course my phone deciding to take a short swim in diluted natural cleaner in the bathroom sink has thrown a wrench in those plans.

Sounds like a kit with the Lime Ears Aether R, Pneuma and Anima will be on its way to me tomorrow to kick of a little Canadian tour.
@riverground you know what to do 😜
This is wonderful! I'm not sure how long ago it was written, but clearly you already knew your stuff as a young Padawan, and have only gotten more eloquent with time and experience.

I'm not even going to bother trying to paraphrase your sentiments about Sony because, well, they're almost a carbon copy of mine. I'll only add that this week was a special one in the hobby for me for several reasons, one of which being my five year anniversary on Head-Fi, which just about correlates with how long I've been in this game, and second because, fittingly, after five years, I sincerely believe I've found 'my sound'. The last piece of the 'puzzle' arrived yesterday on a plane from Belgium, and I'm proud to finally be able to share it here the only way I know how...

SignatureSeries_01.jpg
TAZ TAZ TAZ. I still want one but the first time I found one at a good price, but I had the RME. I'm on my second RME now and the TAZ feels like a sidegrade for me.

Thanks. I did not realize that is what these are named. Do they improve the sound, or are they used for another reason? Tks.
it just uses the 3.5 for ground as Sony doesn't ground the 4.4. It works similarly to the AK adapters. I still can't conclusively tell if there is a sound difference, but it definitely cuts the hiss on sensitive iems

May 2, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #23,493 of 95,508
Copied from flinkenick’s thread…

And, she’s live!

Lime Ears Anima: Midnight Tides - An In-Ear Monitor Review

LE-Anima-S-07.jpg

After a ton of typing, my review of the Lime Ears Anima is now up on THL! It’s an in-ear to me that isn’t afraid to add color to the TOTL space with its crisp, airy sound and huge, bouncy instruments. So, give it a read if that sounds like the in-ear for you, and don’t forget to hit @Rockwell75 and @mvvRAZ up for their respective tours, if you’re keen to give it a go too. :)

I also said a while ago that this review would be a really special one for me, personally, and it honestly has little to do with the review itself. It’s more about the announcement I’m about to make, because I felt that - given Lime Ears was where my reviewing career started - it’d be a fitting way to announce its end as well. I’m relieved to finally, finally announce that 2022 will be my final year as an audio reviewer. As soon as I finish my remaining reviews, which I expect to be around June or July, I’ll be stepping down from THL and putting down the pen for good.

I made this decision in August of last year, and it was - thank God - a really easy one for me to make. When Nic offered me the THL gig all the way back in 2017, I’d just graduated from college, but I hadn’t yet found my place in church. I did little more than watch a mix console 3 times a week, and I spent the rest of my time watching YouTube videos or playing video games. So, when the offer came, so did an opportunity to be productive and do something very much outside my comfort zone. Still, I always, always knew: Whenever God wanted to tag me in and get me going at church, I’d be ready to leave this gig behind in a heartbeat.

And, that’s what came to pass late last year. Recording, mixing and mastering jobs began piling up. My passion for drumming is stronger than ever. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to play and make music with my own band. We start laying tracks for my first original song in a few days, in fact. And, all of that has coincided with less and less of a drive to continue writing, which is how I realized the time had come for me to close this chapter of my life, and move on to bigger and better things.

It’s an extremely cheesy thing to say (as this entire post will probably come off to all of you), but these past 5 years have probably been the most formative of my life; just second to my college years. For the first time ever, I was thrown into the deep end of having actual, professional responsibilities. I had to face dog-eat-dog competition, which - more than you guys can ever believe - was often toxic, bitter and anxiety-inducing. Boy, do I have stories. And, I also learned the value of pacing myself and not letting work overshadow my mental health. These were experiences that changed me infinitely for the better, and I can look back on them now as gifts, rather than burdens.

I also learned that duty import taxes here in Jakarta are borderline criminal, but that’s for another discussion.

Above all (and I warned y’all this was gonna be cheesy), though, it was the relationships I got to build along the way that truly calcified this experience for me. Beyond all the brands I’ve worked with, the support that you guys, as a community across forums and across threads, have given me has been nothing short of riveting. From all the OG’s (you know who you are) who I barely see on the site anymore, to all of you guys now who are too many to name, it’s honestly your words of encouragement that have made every keystroke, every photo set and every hour I’ve spent on Lightroom worthwhile. :D I can say with absolute certainty that I would’ve made this post a long time ago if it wasn’t for all of you, so, from the very bottom of my heart, thank you.

With all that said, this (and my aforementioned remaining reviews) won’t be the end of me on Head-Fi either. I’ll still post and share like I usually do. I may throw in some fun content like a casual interview, or impressions of an IEM I might have tried on a trip, or some stuff from my recording/mixing/mastering sessions. To start, I’m planning a no-holds-barred AMA about my experiences as soon as I officially leave THL. So, if you ever wanted to ask a reviewer anything at all, you can start getting your Q’s ready. But, yeah, though it won’t be as often or lengthy (which may even be a good thing for some of you), the door will always be open for new content to come in. At the same time, I really, really look forward to the day when I can visit Singapore or Japan without having to worry about capturing enough content for Head-Fi. It’s such an alien concept to me at this point, and the mere thought of it sounds like an absolute relief.

As far as my replacement on THL goes, I’m handing the reins to the TOTL segment over to my ever-reliable colleague: @ryanjsoo. He’s been a writer for the site longer than me, and he’s truly long-overdue for an opportunity like this. He never ceases to write like a pro, and I've basically stolen everything I know about IEM photography from him, so I assure you guys that my spot will be in very, very good hands.

Now, the guy taking over Ryan’s spot on THL is someone all of you will likely be familiar with. As Nic heralded me onto the team with his retirement post, I’m incredibly honored to welcome our very own @gLer onto the THL team!

474900.jpg

Again, he’ll be taking over Ryan’s $1000-1500 segment on the site, and, as most of you will probably agree, I trust that he’ll be more than capable for the task at hand; both visually and aurally. Plus, along with folks like @Rockwell75, @aaf evo, @Damz87, etc., I’m very relieved to see the community has a ton of great movers well-integrated within it already, so you don’t need reviewers like me to introduce new stuff when they come out. It’s a more actual-customer-driven market now that wouldn’t have been imaginable back when I started out. And, with IEM tours becoming more and more frequent too, I’m happy to see brands and dealers embrace the change just as much.

To close this very long, very sentimental post, I want to again reiterate the love I have for this hobby and this community. I stumbled onto Head-Fi a shy, awkward teen who’d shudder at the thought of interacting with any stranger, let alone online. And, now, I’m an almost-married (almost-engaged, technically) adult announcing his retirement from a five-year stint reviewing world-renowned audio products to a community of hundreds of genuine companions. As every beautiful development in my life has been, it’s a storyline only a being as out-there as God could’ve come up with, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am for it all. In lieu of bigger, deeper, more adequate words, all I have left to say is thank you… thank you… thank you.

Cheers,
Daniel
Ah Daniel, so sad to see you go as a reviewer. Your reviews are the most enjoyable to read, not to mention your excellent product photography skills!! But it’s good that you’ll still be around in the forum though 👍🏼

May 2, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #23,494 of 95,508
That's so, so beautiful to hear, man. Again, it's words like these that have picked me up whenever I was down, and I'm so grateful to have received the love and generosity that I have. Ryan beyond deserves it, and I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors as well, man! :)

Wow, this is incredible, mate. I really, really appreciate you reaching out, and your post here is so, so touching. Professionalism and poise are the two virtues I value most, especially as a person of faith. I feel like I have an obligation to positively represent God wherever I am, so to hear that is genuinely heartwarming. We'll cross paths again for sure. You can count on that. :wink:

'Love you, brother! You better start getting used to posting around these parts, more so because your work deserves the world seeing it. :p

Indeed, man! I love that there are so many musicians out there innovating with the genre in completely unique, personal ways. I think it defies the old saying that "real" music is dead or "real" instruments are dead. With the amount of people tinkering with them in entirely new ways, they're more alive than ever! Stepping away from the piano for a bit, you've got guys like Tim Henson and Ichika Nito coming up with insane stuff like this on the guitar:

And, thanks so much for your wishes, my friend. This community and hobby are still things I can't imagine living without, so I'll still be around for sure. One of my goals for the future is to kinda peel back the curtain behind making music, just as I did somewhat for building IEMs through my Inner View series on THL. I think it'd be fun for you guys to learn why certain things sound (or hit) the way they do, and how certain sounds are achieved. I'm no Adam Neely or Rick Beato for sure, but I think my experience with IEMs and head/hi-fi can help add a unique perspective there too. It's not gonna be a consistent content stream like my reviews were (as inconsistent as they sometimes may be), but I may post little nuggets every once in a while about it. :)

I started listening to Polyphia and Animals as Leaders more often after our chat the other day. Now they are full on my playlist.

Polyphia - G.O.A.T and Nasty are part of my "review" list now. :p

May 2, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #23,495 of 95,508
After many hours of listening through burn-in period, my Xe6 has finally sound the way I pictured it to be. Mid-bass has settled, much less boomy, midrange and upper frequencies shine even more but very natural and analog sounding. It really is a joy to listen to even for classical pieces. Yesterday morning I listened to Xe6 right after listening to Susvara on my desktop rig, and I didn’t feel the need to adjust my brain (mind you, Susvara has gobs of detail and resolution).

I’ve sworn that I‘d stop purchasing portable audio for the foreseeable future, however, all this talk about Jewel and DC Ti makes me really curious….it just never ends 😅

May 2, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #23,496 of 95,508
@Deezel177

It's the end of another era as yet another notable reviewer goes to pasture and moves on to another season.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed the photography more or the vivid detail of your writing. You were probably one of the first reviewers I came across that really articulated in a way that I looked for in terms of sound and that greatly helped in pinning down my tastes and what to go for.

I'm not an musician in any way, but my foray into serving at church definitely got me into the hobby as well. It's also the primary purpose of my gear these days especially with the capacity in which I've been involved in come earlier.

As you said though, it's about serving God in whatever capacity you are called to wherever it is. Soli Dio Gloria

@ryanjsoo congrats on the promotion! Hopefully that means more stuff down the pipeline to me and @riverground right? 😂

@gLer congrats as well. A bit surprised, but also the perfect spot for you with the collections more or less settling down.

May 2, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #23,497 of 95,508
Ah Daniel, so sad to see you go as a reviewer. Your reviews are the most enjoyable to read, not to mention your excellent product photography skills!! But it’s good that you’ll still be around in the forum though 👍🏼
Thanks so much, man. I'll still be around here for sure, and I look forward to meeting you in person one day too. :)

@Deezel177

It's the end of another era as yet another notable reviewer goes to pasture and moves on to another season.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed the photography more or the vivid detail of your writing. You were probably one of the first reviewers I came across that really articulated in a way that I looked for in terms of sound and that greatly helped in pinning down my tastes and what to go for.

I'm not an musician in any way, but my foray into serving at church definitely got me into the hobby as well. It's also the primary purpose of my gear these days especially with the capacity in which I've been involved in come earlier.

As you said though, it's about serving God in whatever capacity you are called to wherever it is. Soli Dio Gloria

@ryanjsoo congrats on the promotion! Hopefully that means more stuff down the pipeline to me and @riverground right? 😂

@gLer congrats as well. A bit surprised, but also the perfect spot for you with the collections more or less settling down.
Thank you so, so much, brother. I've always seen this opportunity as a way of serving God as well. My church is family-owned, so, despite the years I've spent in Singapore and the education I've received in audio, I can't help but feel a bit of Imposter Syndrome as to how I got that position behind the mixing console in the first place. So, aside from a chance at being productive, I also saw this gig as an opportunity to prove that I could survive in the "real world", and that I could hold up under the scrutiny of actual industry professionals. To me, that's as much a service to God as working in the church itself. So, yeah, I'll be doing a more balanced mix of both from now on, and I hope you're doing well yourself, man. :)

I started listening to Polyphia and Animals as Leaders more often after our chat the other day. Now they are full on my playlist.

Polyphia - G.O.A.T and Nasty are part of my "review" list now. :p
YES! I've been listening to AAL's new record for the past week or so, and it's my favorite release from them yet. I feel it's their strongest track list yet; no skips at all for me. And, the skill those three have - without losing musicality or soul - is astounding.

May 2, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #23,501 of 95,508
RME’s also a desktop amp 😏
Likewise Taz :thinking:

Seriously though, I can't say whether or not Taz would work as well with other headphones and IEMs as it does with the Sony pairings. Sony put the same DNA into its products so they speak the same language. Taz and Walkman instinctively know how the IER and MDR are tuned, and DAC/amps them accordingly. With third-party gear it's going to be hit-and-miss.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #23,502 of 95,508
Likewise Taz :thinking:

Seriously though, I can't say whether or not Taz would work as well with other headphones and IEMs as it does with the Sony pairings. Sony put the same DNA into its products so they speak the same language. Taz and Walkman instinctively know how the IER and MDR are tuned, and DAC/amps them accordingly. With third-party gear it's going to be hit-and-miss.
Yeah, I rarely enjoyed any transducers on Taz other than the Sony’s. Exception being the QDC Anole VX. That iem freakin’ rocked on it. For HP’s, the only one I ever used (other than MDR) was the Diana Phi, and it was blatantly obvious the TA wasn’t driving it properly.

May 2, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #23,503 of 95,508
Yeah, I rarely enjoyed any transducers on Taz other than the Sony’s. Exception being the QDC Anole VX. That iem freakin’ rocked on it. For HP’s, the only one I ever used (other than MDR) was the Diana Phi, and it was blatantly obvious the TA wasn’t driving it properly.
Indeed, I bought the Taz for a very specific purpose (to drive the Sonys). Won't be using it with any other gear. WM1Z into TAZ is now my primary at-home system, WM1Z around the house and yard (or when I'm too lazy to switch on the Taz), XM4 out and about. No need or interest in looking for or listening to anything else for my own music chill sessions. On the other side of the Chinese Wall is my soon-to-be fairly busy review schedule and gear dabbling hobby. And ne'er the twain shall meet. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #23,504 of 95,508
Indeed, I bought the Taz for a very specific purpose (to drive the Sonys). Won't be using it with any other gear. WM1Z into TAZ is now my primary at-home system, WM1Z around the house and yard (or when I'm too lazy to switch on the Taz), XM4 out and about. No need or interest in looking for or listening to anything else for my own music chill sessions. On the other side of the Chinese Wall is my soon-to-be fairly busy review schedule and gear dabbling hobby. And ne'er the twain shall meet. :sweat_smile:
Totally. For that exact purpose, it doesn’t get any better :)

May 2, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #23,505 of 95,508
com'on...my S1 drove the Phi's. :p

ps.: before anyone jump on me...I'm kidding. :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back