The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #80,777 of 90,479
DHL is the worst, I am at home all day waiting for two DHL deliveries and I just received two text msg that since nobody is at home delivery failed, What?
You can waive signature on their website, its what I do. They just leave it.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #80,778 of 90,479
Yeah, I will do that next time. But this time, I am in my office and will be home very late, now they are trying to deliver without signature, I will hope I can find the package when I am home today, usually my neighborhood is pretty safe and I have a porch and plants to hide what's at my front door.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #80,779 of 90,479

This is why I dislike FedEx and love DHL! FedEx doesn’t have a signature release option which gives me a big headache when dealing with them

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #80,780 of 90,479
Dropping in briefly here as I juggle a massive amount of big life changes all at once (gossip with me at CanJam). I signed up for a Spotify subscription a few months back. I know I rail against streaming, but fiddling with an offline playlist is too cumbersome while driving, which is to say I use the service solely in the car. Out of curiosity I loaded up the app on my Walkman and did a side-by-side with Qobuz. I know media loves to spew the idea that the "average" person can't hear the difference, and I don't consider myself an expert listener by any means, but yikes. With a decent dac and iems, spotify quality is just blegh. Music comes in flat, zero emotion. I could see the appeal in a hi-res streaming service though, provided you could justify the cost.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #80,781 of 90,479
That Traillii used to be mine :) I bought it from a friend who ordered it from Musicteck with custom faceplates, back when you could order custom design Traillii’s (I don’t think they do custom design anymore but I could be wrong)
So how many countries has that Trailii been to? I’d imagine that it has made an international trip more than once.
I had it at one point to, so probably most of the British Commonwealth countries at this point.
I never waive it and I've never had them actually respect that once. So this is news to me

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #80,782 of 90,479
Dropping in briefly here as I juggle a massive amount of big life changes all at once (gossip with me at CanJam). I signed up for a Spotify subscription a few months back. I know I rail against streaming, but fiddling with an offline playlist is too cumbersome while driving, which is to say I use the service solely in the car. Out of curiosity I loaded up the app on my Walkman and did a side-by-side with Qobuz. I know media loves to spew the idea that the "average" person can't hear the difference, and I don't consider myself an expert listener by any means, but yikes. With a decent dac and iems, spotify quality is just blegh. Music comes in flat, zero emotion. I could see the appeal in a hi-res streaming service though, provided you could justify the cost.
I can, literally using Roon-Tidal/Qobuz 12 hours a day. It sounds full of detail and emotion, and the only music I have not been able to find so far is that which is just released even most of the bandcamp recs from this thread I find.

Listening to this right now.
IMG_3410.jpeg

Track three is super fun, track four is emotionally moving, nice ride this one.

Lead me to the most popular one which is more straight ahead trio jazz with excellent playing. Drumming is super great.

IMG_3411.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #80,783 of 90,479
Headphones.com just dropped the Dunu Falcon Ultra, so ordered a set. Seems like an ideal IEM to play around with.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #80,784 of 90,479
I had it at one point to, so probably most of the British Commonwealth countries at this point.
Well, let's hope my financial situation and personal enjoyment is enough to keep this set here in california for a long time. =)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #80,785 of 90,479
After hemming and hawing with several different dap options, I ended up settling on the iBasso DX260. And I'm really digging it so far. It's a very striking dap, visually, and only gets better as you notice the more subtle design elements. For instance, the back isn't completely flat. Towards the top it takes a slight angle you can feel, that you can maybe see in the pics. And clearly the aesthetics were pretty thoughtfully implemented, as you can see how they help that slight angle create a straight line all the way across the back of the device. I love attention to detail like that. And there are lots of interesting angles all over it. Maybe the DX260 isn't as striking as the A&K SR35(which I almost got) or Hiby R6 Pro 2, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed. It's beautiful.

I wanted something a little smaller than this honestly, but the compromise is worth it, and it's actually smaller and lighter than a lot of serious audiophile daps. I'm not getting any accidental button presses either. No perceptible noise with any of my IEMs, regardless of gain setting. All the different filters options(and fir output) are making a bigger change to the sound than what I've come to expect, thanks to other devices when such options are present. I still have to burn it in more, but it sounds fabulous already. Seems like a pretty big step up from my other similar dap, the Fiio M15. And it feels like it deals with heat pretty well too.

By the way, the back panel can be removed completely and easily! If you eventually want to swap out to a fresh battery or whatever.

Attachments

• 20240206_142343.jpg
    20240206_142343.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240206_14287.jpg
    20240206_14287.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240206_142418.jpg
    20240206_142418.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240206_142552.jpg
    20240206_142552.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240206_142713.jpg
    20240206_142713.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240206_142903.jpg
    20240206_142903.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #80,786 of 90,479
After hemming and hawing with several different dap options, I ended up settling on the iBasso DX260. And I'm really digging it so far. It's a very striking dap, visually, and only gets better as you notice the more subtle design elements. For instance, the back isn't completely flat. Towards the top it takes a slight angle you can feel, that you can maybe see in the pics. And clearly the aesthetics were pretty thoughtfully implemented, as you can see how they help that slight angle create a straight line all the way across the back of the device. I love attention to detail like that. And there are lots of interesting angles all over it. Maybe the DX260 isn't as striking as the A&K SR35(which I almost got) or Hiby R6 Pro 2, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed. It's beautiful.

I wanted something a little smaller than this actually, but the compromise is worth it, and it's actually smaller and lighter than a lot of serious audiophile daps. I'm not getting any accidental button presses either. No perceptible noise with any of my IEMs, regardless of gain setting. All the different filters options(and fir output) are making a bigger change to the sound than what I've come to expect, thanks to other devices when such options are present. I still have to burn it in more, but it sounds fabulous already. And it seems to deal with heat pretty well too.

It’s a great DAP. I was disappointed with the sound straight out of the box (I do believe in DAP burn-in) but it’s aging into a fantastic portable player with excellent overall usage and battery life. I’m really enjoying it. :)

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #80,788 of 90,479
Honestly nothing much right now. I've got a small list of things I'm hoping to demo in NYC but nothing I couldn't take or leave at this point. Honestly the WM1Z really tied my world together and lately the more IEMs I hear the more I love the IEMs I already have. My interest in CanJam at this point is mostly for the social/fellowship aspect.

That may change once I hit the show floor and see what new stuff is available for demo, but time will tell there.

All of that said I do feel myself naturally gearing down in this hobby right now.
I’m in a similar space myself just now, but for me it’s the R8 II that’s been the missing link; having an Anni sesh with it this morning, it’s just sublime.

IMG_4076.jpeg

And with the arrival of Spartacus last week I feel I’ve got all bases well covered.

I wanna go to canjam but the money I'd spend traveling there and staying there for two days is money I could've saved for IEMs lol, someday I'll make it tho
I get what you’re saying, but if you’re going to consider spending multi kilobucks on gear, it can be well worth the investment to attend a show where you can get a much better idea of what you really do like and even more importantly what you don’t. You may actually be able to save yourself more time and money than you think by not chasing the wrong gear.

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #80,789 of 90,479
A few pics of the Subtonic Storm. They're quite pretty in person. Not their stock cable, but the FTS is pretty in its own right!
Sweet tips 😉🔥

Users who are viewing this thread

Back