The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #83,537 of 90,443
I didnt like the way they changed the ending from the book, but to each his own....
Changes and omissions had to be made for movie format. Denis Villeneuve tried to pack as much book content into the movies as he could.

Book fanatics will never be happy with movie adaptations. I still don't know how Dune 2 was a snoozer for you though.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #83,538 of 90,443
Changes and omissions had to be made for movie format. Denis Villeneuve tried to pack as much book content into the movies as he could.

Book fanatics will never be happy with movie adaptations. I still don't know how Dune 2 was a snoozer for you though.
I read the books-all of them-multiple times. In the end, Alia kills the Baron with the Gom jabbar; in the movie paul just stabs him in the neck while he is lying on the floor. the fact that Alia was like 5 years old in the book at the ending shows how paul and Jessica were with the fremen for about 5 years before the counter attack. All that was lost in the film. Also Chani underwhelmed me. I'm sure the actress is a nice girl and all, but blah. Also Jessica in the movie was always shaking and fretting and carrying on; in the book she was a pillar of steel, so all in all, meh.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #83,539 of 90,443
Annihilator is tuned with spinfits in mind/design so you're definitely right to go with them there. Specifically, CP145, which is also the stock tip, and definitely my favourite on Annihilator so far. In regards to what aspect is most important, treble region is what goes weird if you use non-spinfit tips.
Oh, I've tried heaps of tips with Annihilator, including SpinFits as those were included in the box.

But for me Final E fit just a little better than the SpinFits, and are also likewise narrow-bore to preserve the intended tuning (I believe). I don't mind the fit of Azla Sedna's with Annihilator either, but the wider-bore lets through a little more upper mid/treble, which may or may not be preferred..

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #83,540 of 90,443
The guys from Symphonium/Subtonic/Nightjar were really chill and nice this weekend. They are true audiophiles and enthusiasts, meticulous with every detail of the audio chain of their products. They cared deeply about getting people the best audio experience possible. Eartips, cable, source matching are top priority for them, as it should be, with every IEM manufacturer but sadly isn't. They even cleaned the IEMs with alcohol pads after each session, which I wish other exhibitors also did.

Endless lines waiting to hear their products. Got there early on Sunday so I could get a proper demo going and chat a bit with them. :smile:

Every IEM I tried out were amazing. Singularity and the upcoming Titan might be my next IEM purchases. Storm is absolutely incredible, but just too expensive and difficult to obtain.

The Titan is basshead done right. Dare I say, it's the best basshead IEM in the world. That crazy bass shelf doesn't get in the way of the other frequencies, is well controlled, but it's definitely very prominent. Besides the huge bass, everything was balanced, smooth, and detailed. Amazing IEM.

Titan needs a lot juice to power properly, as much as the powerhungry Storm.

1 8mm DD + 2 custom BAs, hopefully launching within a month at $1,000. Not sure if I'm supposed to let the details out but that's what I've been told about it.

What was driving the Titan at the Symphonium booth?

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #83,541 of 90,443
What was driving the Titan at the Symphonium booth?
I used my Sony ZX707 JP on high gain. 98/120 was enough to power both the Titan and Storm. No other IEM I've tried or owned ever required as much juice as these 2 IEMs does.

They had other more powerful rigs on the table but I didn't use them because I didn't need to.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #83,542 of 90,443
I used my Sony ZX707 JP on high gain. 98/120 was enough to power both the Titan and Storm. No other IEM I've tried or owned ever required as much juice as these 2 IEMs does.

They had other more powerful rigs on the table but I didn't use them because I didn't need to.
Have you demoed the Crimson with your ZX707? Just wondering if the Titan requires way more power than the Crimson since the Crimson is already power hungry.

And I know CJ isn't exactly a quiet environment, but I'm at home using the Crimson at 70/120 on the ZX707 right now so 98/120 seems like quite the jump to power Titan.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #83,543 of 90,443
Have you demoed the Crimson with your ZX707? Just wondering if the Titan requires way more power than the Crimson since the Crimson is already power hungry.

And I know CJ isn't exactly a quiet environment, but I'm at home using the Crimson at 70/120 on the ZX707 right now so 98/120 seems like quite the jump to power Titan.
Nope. I only tested Singularity, Storm, and Titan. Didn't want to hold up others waiting to sit down and demo.

I tested those 3 IEMs extensively though and stayed as long as possible. Storm the longest, then Singularity, then Titan. Only got about 5-6 songs in with Titan.

They were worried at first the 707 couldn't power the Storm properly but it could, with room to spare. Titan sounded great at 98/120 too, just like the Storm.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #83,544 of 90,443
Nope. I only tested Singularity, Storm, and Titan. Didn't want to hold up others waiting to sit down and demo.

I tested those 3 IEMs extensively though and stayed as long as possible.

They were worried at first the 707 couldn't power the Storm properly but it could, with room to spare. Titan sounded great at 98/120 too, just like the Storm.
That's reassuring then. I've come to find that this sub-$1k Sony DAP is quite a beast. It's fairly small in comparison to other DAP bricks, pretty responsive on Android 13, and the battery can go 12+ hours streaming Tidal. I'm pretty sure it can last 20+ hours in offline mode or with local FLAC files.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #83,545 of 90,443
That's reassuring then. I've come to find that this sub-$1k Sony DAP is quite a beast. It's fairly small in comparison to other DAP bricks, pretty responsive on Android 13, and the battery can go 12+ hours streaming Tidal. I'm pretty sure it can last 20+ hours in offline mode or with local FLAC files.
Yeah, love the 707 JP. Posted my feedback about it after CanJam in the 707 thread.

Sad that Sony nerfed it for the global market, so not as many people bought it and kept it, as there should be.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #83,546 of 90,443
My yang to Anni, I’m in the family!
IMG_6845.jpeg

Now a cool nick name for it. Gm? Jim?

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #83,547 of 90,443
My yang to Anni, I’m in the family!
Loved auditioning the Grand Maestro.

I think a custom GM might be my first and hopefully last foray into the "really f'n expensive IEM territory," but not quite "insanely expensive territory." Just need to save some funds for it.

Grats and enjoy your GM. :thumbsup:

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #83,548 of 90,443
Loved auditioning the Grand Maestro.

I think a custom GM might be my first and hopefully last foray into the "really f'n expensive IEM territory," but not quite "insanely expensive territory."

Grats and enjoy your GM. :thumbsup:
I like how versatile the tuning is. It's pretty special. Thanks! <3

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #83,549 of 90,443
My yang to Anni, I’m in the family! IMG_6845.jpeg
Now those look nice, love the vent color. Congrats.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #83,550 of 90,443
No way. Dune 2 was a slow burn but it kept me captivated throughout. Incredible movie.

Especially because I watched it at AMC Lincoln Square 13, one of only 12 IMAX theaters in the world showing it in 1:43:1 aspect, 70mm film. I went there after CanJam ended on Saturday. What a crazy experience it was to see Dune 2 at that theater. My body and head shook with their sound system. Well worth the $30+ ticket, and $40+ taxi rides to the theater and back to the Marquis.

Yeah Dune 2 at that theatre was amazing. I saw it on Saturday at 12:20 also at that Lincoln Center IMAX - which is why I didn't go to CanJam on Saturday. It was mind blowing visually. There were a few times I wanted to laugh out loud t the sheer absurdity of how gorgeous it was, how immersed I was in the scenes.

I was not as much of a fan of Dune 1 because it was missing some character and plot scenes that would have really helped give it more depth. Even more so because many of them were filmed, but cut, and Denis is too much of a snob to release an extended cut of them. Ultimately I filled in many things that the movie missed with my knowledge of the book, and then I liked it better as a piece of film.

But Dune part II was so good. Why he changed the ending made sense to me. To somehow have Paul's sister pop out fully coherent and then just kill the emperor was too much to do in the amount of time he had. Even if he extended the movie another 25 minutes. It would have just been awkward. He did give Chani a bigger role, which vibes with what Herbert thought after being disappointed at some of the reception of the book as too much adoration of Paul.

To do the story true justice and being totally faithful would require a mini-series of at least ten 1 hour parts.

I am disappointed he did not explain better what was happening with the drinking of the water of life. I even think in the book Herbert just kind of explains it, the water of life gives the knowledge of all of their history and experiences.

This will be the one movie I will go to see again at the Lincoln center IMAX in a month or two when it's easier to get tickets. I'll get the best seats and just go back on that ride, it was pretty amazing on that screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back