The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #85,411 of 90,144
No increase in price. For pins we have 2pin recessed, 2pin flushed, MMCX, QDC/UE Extruded, FitEar, IPX, Pentaconn Ear (Acoustune/Elysian) readily stocked, we can do essentially any termination but for terminations that aren't stocked there will be additional lead time as we have to order them in. OE Multi-Pin is also available on most cables if you require a modular solution, though there are some drawbacks so do contact us for a consultation so we can find a solution that is most optimal for you use case.

When will the DD and or BCD version of storm drop? thanks, could by my endgame for years and years, just gotta get rid of that BA bass.

Also does anyone know a good case for subminiature tubes? I've got quite the collection for my ALO CDM and need a good case, would like something small if possible that I could put just a few sets of tubes in at a time, somthing like 3"x3" or 2"x 3" would be nice. I'd also like a recommendation on something larger for home storage of more tubes.

All you guys upset about pricing, and want things like storm. Just wait until the DD/BCD version comes out an the BA storm will be 1/2 price in the classifieds and already burned in.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #85,412 of 90,144
Good point. But / and I will happily spend a thousand bucks on something that objectively sounds worse but subjectively sounds better 😌

drftr

Most certainly, but I want to understand where the changes really come from so I don't spend $1,000 on something from which the change is all in my head so I can later spend it on something that really matters like the transducers themselves.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #85,414 of 90,144
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #85,415 of 90,144
When will the DD and or BCD version of storm drop? thanks, could by my endgame for years and years, just gotta get rid of that BA bass.

Also does anyone know a good case for subminiature tubes? I've got quite the collection for my ALO CDM and need a good case, would like something small if possible that I could put just a few sets of tubes in at a time, somthing like 3"x3" or 2"x 3" would be nice.

Have you heard the Storm yet?

I'm definitely a DD-low lover and for me a TOTL DD bass implementation can't be beat for enjoyment as I find the DD texture satisfying. But Storm bass is pretty damn special "for BA's". Very few IEMs on the market have the same bass impact, tightness, and dynamics that the Storm can reproduce in the low frequencies.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #85,416 of 90,144
Have you heard the Storm yet?

I'm definitely a DD-low lover and for me a TOTL DD bass implementation can't be beat for enjoyment as I find the DD texture satisfying. But Storm bass is pretty damn special "for BA's". Very few IEMs on the market have the same bass impact, tightness, and dynamics that the Storm can reproduce in the low frequencies.

I have and while it's the best BA I've ever heard as you said, it still isn't a DD to my ears(compare to your Fei Wan for example) and we all know you'll be upgrading to the DD version as soon as it's out. my friend. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #85,417 of 90,144
Does it really matter if the cables change the sound or not? For some it does and others not, and for people like me the design also matters and can influence a purchase.

DSCF4683.jpg

1712175673014.png

DSCF3588.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #85,418 of 90,144
Does it really matters if the cables change the sound or not? For some it does and others not, and for people like me the design also matters and can influence a purchase.

DSCF4683.jpg

1712175673014.png

DSCF3588.jpg
They do change sound and I couldn't care less about the design so long as it doesn't hurt the back of my ears or weigh a ton.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #85,419 of 90,144
They do change sound and I couldn't care less about the design so long as it doesn't hurt the back of my ears or weigh a ton.
Agree with you fully, I also hear change. And I dont care if its for real or not, same it doesn't matter if its worse objective if its better subjective for you as @drftr mentioned.
And also comfort matters :100:

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #85,420 of 90,144
Agree with you fully, I also hear change. And I dont care if its for real or not, same it doesn't matter if its worse objective if its better subjective for you as @drftr says.
And comfort matters also :100:
Going from stock Jewel cable to Centurion, if you don't hear a difference I'd question your hearing.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #85,421 of 90,144
Most of the time I am happy if the iem that I purchased comes with a good cable. Synnergy is up for debate. Half the time I am happy with just a good quality cable when purchasing an iem. What is up with like 2k iems coming with questionable cables?
The PWA cable itself that comes with Monachaa is not a bad or questionable cable, it's pretty nice for a stock cable actually. It's just that if you have other cables, you could possibly find a better or at least interesting match. When Oriolus pairs with a PWA, and I have a different PWA cable (like FT), I try it. In this particular case, FT was a significant improvement over the stock. But the retail price in that cable is almost the same as the Monachaa itself.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #85,422 of 90,144
I have and while it's the best BA I've ever heard as you said, it still isn't a DD to my ears(compare to your Fei Wan for example) and we all know you'll be upgrading to the DD version as soon as it's out. my friend. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Reminds me of vegetarians, they keep trying to make fake meat taste good though the real stuff will always be better.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #85,423 of 90,144
Agree with you fully, I also hear change. And I dont care if its for real or not, same it doesn't matter if its worse objective if its better subjective for you as @drftr mentioned.
And also comfort matters :100:

I've had scenarios where I think I've heard a difference, but only one I've noted here before I think where it was absolutely certain - the difference was so massive that I have since figured there must have been an issue with the cable - this being the stock cable with Penon Serial vs Hansound Nyx... with the former, the mids sounded terribly flat and lifeless, switched at the time to Nyx and they completely transformed, a night and day difference. This was a few years ago, and perhaps the occasional time I've done an a/b with cables since I'm seeking larger changes than what actually exist. I've said before, I must dedicate time and focus on cable rolling... I WANT TO BELIEVE :) Or maybe I don't from a cost perspective...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #85,424 of 90,144

I guess my overall point is that Storm is tuned and served to be a "reference" set. If you take the Storm BA bass and swap it with DDs then you're introducing an extra variable like driver speed into play. The way Storm maintains its speed/transients from the bass to the treble is incredibly coherent, I'd be very surprised if anyone would be able to pull this same tuning off with DD bass while keeping the decay, dynamics, impact, and transients across the FR in sync.

But you are definitely right, if they are able to pull off the exact same sound but with DD texture.. I'd obviously rather have that.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #85,425 of 90,144
Review published tonight for the Craft Ears 'Aurum'... HERE

IMG_2079.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back