The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #87,438 of 88,429
EQing one TOTL to sound like another TOTL is a cool idea but they will never truly sound the same I feel as if they’re many of other factors at play
At that point just buy an Anni. You might end up being able to make something sound anni esque, but it is really hard to replicate an exact sound signature. The thing is the kinetic bass from fir would change Anni sound signature. That and it takes a lot of time and work to create much less tune an iem.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #87,439 of 88,429
At that point just buy an Anni. You might end up being able to make something sound anni esque, but it is really hard to replicate an exact sound signature. The thing is the kinetic bass from fir would change Anni sound signature. That and it takes a lot of time and work to create much less tune an iem.
I suppose the other thing I need to consider is that they are releasing a new flagship this year right? In that scenario perhaps it’s better to wait since it could in theory beat the anni in all regards

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #87,440 of 88,429
I suppose the other thing I need to consider is that they are releasing a new flagship this year right? In that scenario perhaps it’s better to wait since it could in theory beat the anni in all regards
There is also the fact that the IEMs vary in shape, which will result in completely different sound for your ears, which will not show up in a measurement rig.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #87,441 of 88,429
They would need to come out within an insane Iem to beat Anni The bar elysian set for themselves is Extremely high

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #87,443 of 88,429
They would need to come out within an insane Iem to beat Anni The bar elysian set for themselves is Extremely high
Elysian raised the bar with the Anni 2023 so they could limbo under it with the Pilgrim and Noir. Not a bad business strategy. Give people multiple options to experience the same "signature" sound. I would say most likely only Elysian Labs will be able to outdo themselves. The question is how much are the bells and whistles going to cost?

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #87,445 of 88,429
If I were to EQ the radon 6, would I be able to make the treble and mids sound like the Annihilator? I’m not sensitive to treble and given what I’m hearing, the mids and treble seem more enjoyable on the anni(if you’re not sensitive) and the base is better on the Rn6 thanks to bone conduction. So EQing the Rn6 could give you everything?
They sound very different.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #87,446 of 88,429
EQing one TOTL to sound like another TOTL is a cool idea but they will never truly sound the same I feel as if they’re many of other factors at play
I remember Tyll from Inner Fidelity did that a while ago with headphones as an experiment. He found that most of them sounded better tonally (of course, given that they're now closer to his target curve), but, as you said, they'd show very different properties in other areas too. They'd have differences in imaging, resolution, texture, dynamics and some of them would also exhibit distortion, depending on the malleability (or lack thereof) of the drivers and how far they were from Tyll's target curve to begin with.

I also recall conversations I've had with Kumitate Lab's Ito-san. He said he'd always start a new IEM design by picturing an FR graph, then he'd get some drivers together and attempt to recreate it. He described that phase as 10% of the work done. :D Most of the time, at that stage, he'd hear tons of compression, distortion, wonky imaging, poor resolution, etc. The other 90% of the work is fixing all those issues; finding different drivers with better timbral traits, finding more compatible driver combinations for a more coherent texture and better electrical properties (impedance, sensitivity, etc.), figuring out sound tube lengths for phase, figuring out the best places to put crossover points for stronger imaging, etc. Again, it's a far more involved process than just coming up with an FR and putting drivers together like LEGO pieces. Anyone could DIY a TOTL if that was the case. It's sorta the magic of this hobby, and why we (unfortunately) have to pay big bucks for the best.

I believe some people got to demo the prototype at a recent can jam. Haven’t been able to find their thoughts on it compared to the Anni though, I’d be interested to see.
Without saying too much, the Dio is basically a matured, stronger-performing Anni. It's similar to how I compared the LPGT to the Mjolnir in my CanJam impressions. Their presentations (or deliveries) are similar, but the Dio's at least a couple tiers above in technical performance; resolution, 3D-ness, background blackness, air, etc. The bass is especially leagues ahead. That said, it's not exactly fair comparing the Anni to the Dio. The latter's set to be around twice in price, so it'll be in that Trailli/Erlkonig sorta space. It'll also have tons of improvements apart from sound, but what's for absolute certain is that it won't compete with the Anni (or the Anni won't compete with it) by any stretch of the imagination.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #87,447 of 88,429
Elysian raised the bar with the Anni 2023 so they could limbo under it with the Pilgrim and Noir. Not a bad business strategy. Give people multiple options to experience the same "signature" sound. I would say most likely only Elysian Labs will be able to outdo themselves. The question is how much are the bells and whistles going to cost?
My understanding is their new flagship does blow Anni out of the water, both in performance and price (above $5k). So, between Pilgrim and the new flagship, Anni will be the pole to limbo around.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #87,448 of 88,429
The Cyclone 8-wire is not a cable that I would recommend if you are looking to add treble presence or sparkle. It is, as advertised, relatively dark. But, if you have a monitor that would benefit from the aforementioned changes/improvements, I highly recommend it. And, yes, the aesthetic pairing here is pretty excellent too.
Have you had the chance to test vs Plussound Quad Copper? Pretty similar changes based on what I’ve read about the Cyclone.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #87,449 of 88,429
Personally, I am after an emotional experience above all, so what I'm interested in when reading the impressions of others is a sign that they themselves had the sort of emotional experience that I am seeking.
Perhaps you could create a goosebump chart instead? I wonder how that would look like though as there was definitely a phase during which you melted when hearing Anni's treble and declared yourself a treble-guy-in-the-making, while before and after I think your focus was more on sub-bass. So is it that part of the FR that gives you the musical engagement you're after? Or is it technicalities instead? A mix perhaps?

FR Tuning-wise for myself I'd say 50% of my attention goes to the mids, 25% to the bass (which above all shouldn't be in my face), and 25% to treble (which shouldn't be offensive). While technicality-wise I'm mostly concerned about PRaT (30%), timbre (30%), dynamics/liveliness (20%), and imaging/palpability (20%). I'm not much of a resolution guy so in the end I could see myself downscale my $3,000 to a $300 IEM if it fits my bill. If that would come as a TWS I'd buy 5 of them and make my way to the door while backwards, bowing to you all.

drftr

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #87,450 of 88,429
I think some people were taking about this before but, what are people’s thoughts on the radon 6 vs the Annihilator?
I much preferred Anni’s warmer, livelier presentation to Rn6 more correct type of sound. Both are great IEMs, but Anni always grabbed my attention and left me wanting more with it’s combination midbass/lower midrange warmth, exceptional treble and mesmerising detail retrieval.

If I were to EQ the radon 6, would I be able to make the treble and mids sound like the Annihilator? I’m not sensitive to treble and given what I’m hearing, the mids and treble seem more enjoyable on the anni(if you’re not sensitive) and the base is better on the Rn6 thanks to bone conduction. So EQing the Rn6 could give you everything?
I really don’t think there’s much point to this, while you might get one to kinda sorta sound like the other, why bother? They are different enough, it would make a lot of sense to own both, if budget allows.

💯
Elysian have had a long string of hits, I have every reason to expect they can reach these heights.

A lot. 🤭

My understanding is their new flagship does blow Anni out of the water, both in performance and price (above $5k). So, between Pilgrim and the new flagship, Anni will be the pole to limbo around.
Yeah, I’ve heard the same.

And I think it’s a great strategy for Elysian to have offerings that hit different tiers of the market from entry (Pilgrim), to mid (Diva), to summit (Anni), to stratospheric (“Dio”)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back