The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 8, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #88,591 of 90,529
Have you ever heard a Mojo 2? IMO (and the opinion of many others) it's the single best piece of truly portable audio gear that exists. I wrote a thing on the SP3000 earlier and I'll just cut n paste it.

I'll make some audio comments first.

I don't think the sound is bad - I just don't see it as being much better than even an L&P W4 dongle with my phone ... maybe I'm totally & utterly spoiled by the Mojo 2 on a daily basis. For my ears - it's absolute perfection. Before I had one, I had various similar products that were around the same price, some significantly more expensive (ifi Diablo). They all got sold immediately after I got the Mojo 2 and that was a year ago.

Fortunately, the 450 GBP Mojo 2 has, for me, raised the bar so high that nothing comes close. I would have paid 3000 USD for it had that been the price. Mojo 2 has a pitch black background. You only hear the music. This makes for/adds to incredible imaging, to the point that if you're listening to a well recorded jazz album, it's like you're in a room with incredible acoustics listening to the band. Some people complain that the Mojo 2 can sound sharp with cymbals etc. Have you heard a cymbal in real life? I've put on over 1200 music shows & produced music - they're supposed to sound sharp! I understand that some people will want to temper this for day to day listening - and they can wity the absolutely superb onboard DSP. This thing is magic. If you want a little extra sub, you're a few clicks away from non compromising (to the rest of the sound) added sub. You want to take the edge of those cymbals? Same thing. It's amazing how many people think the DSP is nothing more than some EQ presets, with presets for different shelves. Try using a software EQ to get the same sound as the Mojo 2 DSP. Good luck!

I'm not adverse to dropping thousands on items if I think they are truly worth it. I worked in music & sound for circa 25 years at a pretty high level & this all stems from a love of sound & music since a very young age. I used to perform, promote, produce, book & act as an agent to many big artists. I did it all. I'm pretty confident in my ability to know at least what I love immediately I hear it... and also what I believe is a very poor value product - this is what the SP3000 is. There is not much to say about the sound. It's extremely generic. It doesn't do anything special & it doesn't do anything particularly special either. It's the sort of sound I'd expect from a $500 DAP.

Someone asked about A&K DAP's. This was my response.

Let's start with the exterior. This is where a lot of that money is going because they used very expensive metal, that a lot of luxury watchmakers use. It looks super luxury.

If people want to pay a premium for luxury stuff like this, that's absolutely fine. But (a) the ergonomics were not just bad - they were dangerous. The edges were so sharp that you could not even hold it properly without your hands getting very sore very quickly.

Even worse - the corners are VERY sharp and if you put it your jeans pocket your will very likely hurt yourself.

Even if it does not have these sharp edges & it was comfortable to hold... this specific type of metal looks super luxurious - until you touch it. It is an absolute fingerprint magnet & looks dirty even if you just hold it in your hand for a few seconds.

Anyway - they include a case. A green, leather looking case. It's quite a decent looking case, but it covers all of that expensive metal except the volume control knob. And the case is so poorly designed, you can't use the buttons on the side of the device as they are covered up and you can easily hit the wrong one... in fact you probably will. So what's the point of using all these fancy metals you've paid probably around 1200 USD for (a friend who makes luxury watches estimate), if you can't even see them?

Then there is the device.

Very average screen. Slow OS. Closed android. No EQ and you cannot download EQ software.

The sound is ok. But not any better than my phone with an L&P W4 dongle.

For $3800, It's a disgrace. The VERTU of DAPs.

Fortunately I only effectively paid $1100 (through various exchanges I've done - I like to keep my audio gear 'habit' pretty sustainable) for it & I am so glad I was able to exchange it for a new pair of Elysian Annihilator (something else I personally don't like but are much better 'currency' for trading/selling)
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy response.

I have not yet heard the mojo 2 and also not the hugo 2.
Now I just read that at high end munich a new amp from chord for the hugo 2 will be unveiled (although already on the website).

So after your positive description of the mojo 2 I do want to hear it soon 😄 ill have to plan an audition once im back from holiday.
If it really is that great and also to my taste, who knows, it might replace some of my way more expensive stuff. But I also think synergy with other gear is highly important. Anyways, ill let my ears do the judging.

Your opinion of the sp3000 is your own and ofc valued. I personally like the sp3000, just not with all my IEM’s. Example: the Trifecta sounds way better on the sony dap to me. But the CP622b absolutely shines with the sp3000

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #88,592 of 90,529
I first learned MAD24 from YouTube when I was still new in this hobby several years ago, and the YouTuber reviewer is a European guy who always wears sunglasses even in a dim lighted room. He raved about MAD24 as the best IEM and that was the last exposure I know. Later when I bumped into this thread and started to participate, I mentioned MAD24 once just out of curiosity, and there are coolers here who had demoed the MAD24 and turned out they are not impressed.

There is no reason that a true gem TOTL IEM exists for years, without being talked about here. The only logic conclusion therefore, MAD24 is probably not considered as "more developed IEM than Storm".

PS, just checked the reviewer is convincemeaudio, and he was sitting by the side of @jude during CanJam London in a panel discussion and his review of MAD24:

He wears the sunglasses because he’s blind, and my guess is that his eyes will move around and become distracting for viewers without them.

May 8, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #88,593 of 90,529

Now I just read that at high end munich a new amp from chord for the hugo 2 will be unveiled (although already on the website).

So after your positive description of the mojo 2 I do want to hear it soon 😄 ill have to plan an audition once im back from holiday.
If it really is that great and also to my taste, who knows, it might replace some of my way more expensive stuff. But I also think synergy with other gear is highly important. Anyways, ill let my ears do the judging.

Your opinion of the sp3000 is your own and ofc valued. I personally like the sp3000, just not with all my IEM’s. Example: the Trifecta sounds way better on the sony dap to me. But the CP622b absolutely shines with the sp3000
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/new-suzi-concept-amplifier-unveiled

Ah here it is

May 8, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #88,594 of 90,529
Have you ever heard a Mojo 2? IMO (and the opinion of many others) it's the single best piece of truly portable audio gear that exists. I wrote a thing on the SP3000 earlier and I'll just cut n paste it.

I'll make some audio comments first.

I don't think the sound is bad - I just don't see it as being much better than even an L&P W4 dongle with my phone ... maybe I'm totally & utterly spoiled by the Mojo 2 on a daily basis. For my ears - it's absolute perfection. Before I had one, I had various similar products that were around the same price, some significantly more expensive (ifi Diablo). They all got sold immediately after I got the Mojo 2 and that was a year ago.

Fortunately, the 450 GBP Mojo 2 has, for me, raised the bar so high that nothing comes close. I would have paid 3000 USD for it had that been the price. Mojo 2 has a pitch black background. You only hear the music. This makes for/adds to incredible imaging, to the point that if you're listening to a well recorded jazz album, it's like you're in a room with incredible acoustics listening to the band. Some people complain that the Mojo 2 can sound sharp with cymbals etc. Have you heard a cymbal in real life? I've put on over 1200 music shows & produced music - they're supposed to sound sharp! I understand that some people will want to temper this for day to day listening - and they can wity the absolutely superb onboard DSP. This thing is magic. If you want a little extra sub, you're a few clicks away from non compromising (to the rest of the sound) added sub. You want to take the edge of those cymbals? Same thing. It's amazing how many people think the DSP is nothing more than some EQ presets, with presets for different shelves. Try using a software EQ to get the same sound as the Mojo 2 DSP. Good luck!

I'm not adverse to dropping thousands on items if I think they are truly worth it. I worked in music & sound for circa 25 years at a pretty high level & this all stems from a love of sound & music since a very young age. I used to perform, promote, produce, book & act as an agent to many big artists. I did it all. I'm pretty confident in my ability to know at least what I love immediately I hear it... and also what I believe is a very poor value product - this is what the SP3000 is. There is not much to say about the sound. It's extremely generic. It doesn't do anything special & it doesn't do anything particularly special either. It's the sort of sound I'd expect from a $500 DAP.

Someone asked about A&K DAP's. This was my response.

Let's start with the exterior. This is where a lot of that money is going because they used very expensive metal, that a lot of luxury watchmakers use. It looks super luxury.

If people want to pay a premium for luxury stuff like this, that's absolutely fine. But (a) the ergonomics were not just bad - they were dangerous. The edges were so sharp that you could not even hold it properly without your hands getting very sore very quickly.

Even worse - the corners are VERY sharp and if you put it your jeans pocket your will very likely hurt yourself.

Even if it does not have these sharp edges & it was comfortable to hold... this specific type of metal looks super luxurious - until you touch it. It is an absolute fingerprint magnet & looks dirty even if you just hold it in your hand for a few seconds.

Anyway - they include a case. A green, leather looking case. It's quite a decent looking case, but it covers all of that expensive metal except the volume control knob. And the case is so poorly designed, you can't use the buttons on the side of the device as they are covered up and you can easily hit the wrong one... in fact you probably will. So what's the point of using all these fancy metals you've paid probably around 1200 USD for (a friend who makes luxury watches estimate), if you can't even see them?

Then there is the device.

Very average screen. Slow OS. Closed android. No EQ and you cannot download EQ software.

The sound is ok. But not any better than my phone with an L&P W4 dongle.

For $3800, It's a disgrace. The VERTU of DAPs.

Fortunately I only effectively paid $1100 (through various exchanges I've done - I like to keep my audio gear 'habit' pretty sustainable) for it & I am so glad I was able to exchange it for a new pair of Elysian Annihilator (something else I personally don't like but are much better 'currency' for trading/selling)
I started to search for Mojo 2 used price because your post, but there is one thing just becomes a deal breaker: all of my cables are terminated in 4.4mm, and this baby is single ended only. Of course, I can buy a converter, but...

May 8, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #88,595 of 90,529
I started to search for Mojo 2 used price because your post, but there is one thing just becomes a deal breaker: all of my cables are terminated in 4.4mm, and this baby is single ended only. Of course, I can buy a converter, but...
I generally love the mojo2. But I tried it with anni23 using a ddhifi converter to 3.5mm, I thought the questyle m15 was much better. OTOH I use the mojo2 in my city home (I usually stay by the sea) sometimes with the old school HD800 and use the eq to boost the bass, that is surprisingly good.

May 8, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #88,596 of 90,529
https://shop.musicteck.com/products/qdc-golden-dragon-limited-to-5-pairs-worldwide-special-order

Well this looks.. interesting.

giphy.webp

May 8, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #88,597 of 90,529
He wears the sunglasses because he’s blind, and my guess is that his eyes will move around and become distracting for viewers without them.
His channel is ConvinceMeAudio now.
He is the coolest audio reviewer for me. I love his diction, the way he speaks, and his humour.

Today, I watched one of his videos, Cayin HA-6A.

Cheers!

May 8, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #88,599 of 90,529
May 8, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #88,600 of 90,529
For whatever reason when I heard the MAD24 ( 2023 ) I was not overly impressed. Far too long to remember any details, but in direct comparison to my Traillii I did not care for it or feel it was at the same level. I had also preferred the Storm to the MAD24. Now this was my personal impression though others with me did not favor it either. Anyway, if many others felt the same way, that could be why it is not discussed more. It does come up every so often, but does not catch on. In no way did I dislike it, just not my preference.

Have any improvements been made to it?
It all comes down to personal preferences in the end. In my case for example, I don’t like Traillii’s sound as I feel it is too neutral and lacking bass (I am not a bass head btw).

That being said, they made several improvements in the 2024 model, including shell size, bite size and balancing it for a more linear frequency response.

Some products in this hobby may be a little divisive (like the Trifecta that I absolutely love for example). When I listened to the Storm , I believe that I had such high expectations that it didn’t impress me.

The MAD24 requires some tip and cable rolling to sound it’s best… that’s why it’s difficult to listen to it quickly and form an impression.

May 8, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #88,601 of 90,529
My third arrival today, very much like buses here in Ireland… none for ages and then three at once 😂

FiiO FA19

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #88,602 of 90,529

No problem. I need to ask you something -

Did you honestly feel that the SP3000 sounded like it was worth $3800?

May 8, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #88,603 of 90,529

I'm actually far more interested in the Chord Alto... their new dedicated desktop headphone amp, which also has Bluetooth so great for watching films late at night. This is a 100% buy from me & will be $3000 equivalent upon launch in the UK & I think that's a pretty incredible price for such a promising piece of kit.

I only ever take IEMs on the move (I live in Thailand), so I don't need a more powerful portable device & that Suzi looks pretty cumbersome as per the Hugo series. If I go abroad to colder countries, the Mojo 2 is more than capable of running more easier to drive headphones to full potential, such as most Focals, and I do have some.

Screenshot_20240509_040047_Gallery.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #88,604 of 90,529
would love to know how the Navigator performs next to the RU7 and DC-Elite, neat looking device!

The only other dongle I have now is RU6, I’ll certainly compare them in the coming days.

IMG_3602.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #88,605 of 90,529

I generally preferred 4.4 termination myself, and a I have a short converter cable for things where it's kind of essential (Elysian Annihilator with those Pentaconn thingies instead of two pin)... but that all went out the window as soon as I heard the Chord 2 & the vast majority of my cables are 3.5.

FYI the lack of 4.4 was a conscious decision by Chord. They knew they'd probably double sales with 4.4, but they felt balanced connection compromised the sound... to me, that's absolute testament to their commitment to excellency & deserves a lot of credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back