The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 19, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #89,596 of 90,479
Here's your Sunday morning quote:

"It is surprising how easily one can become used to bad music" - F. Mendelssohn

And while I was quick nodding my head in agreement my second thought was "Wait... Does bad music actually exist at all?"

In case it does for you, how would you describe bad music? Not aiming for a genre or artist here so please refrain from throwing mud at others' favourites.

drftr
Any art made sincerely has merit. The beauty and or value lies with the observer. Bad art if it exists is able to show the lack of care and honesty in its making. I believe ai art shows this. As this is a philosophical meditation my words are just one mans opinion.

May 19, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #89,597 of 90,479
I believe ai art shows this
But isn't this exactly what we thought about many new art forms that came up over the past decades? We may be utterly surprised by the magnitude of inspiration going forward. Not sure if it would be my thing, but I wouldn't want to be early in declaring that art is dead. Jazz had been declared dead for 3 decades (1975-2005), and look at where we are now.

drftr

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #89,598 of 90,479
May I ask you to provide some comparisons to any well-known IEM like Traillii, Jewel, Raven, you name it?
You have piqued my interest but I just want to keep my expectations real.

I honestly have been listening to them to the exclusion of almost everything else this week - haven’t even got round to comparing them with others in my collection yet, and I don’t think it would be fair to compare them with something I have heard in the past but don’t own or have on hand currently. But I understand and 100% agree with the need for comparisons and I’m happy to take requests to compare them with anything in my collection when time permits.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #89,599 of 90,479
But isn't this exactly what we thought about many new art forms that came up over the past decades? We may be utterly surprised by the magnitude of inspiration going forward. Not sure if it would be my thing, but I wouldn't want to early in declaring that art is dead. Jazz had been declared dead for 3 decades (1975-2005), and look at where we are now.

drftr
I don’t think ai is killing art by any means. I also believe computer generated art will get much better.
Right now it often displays a clearly artificial environment that i find very off putting. It also has no inherent creativity. The human inputs the basis of an idea and the machine interprets this through everything it has encountered before without any ability for invention or spontaneous riffing.
Not sincerely innovating regarding human experience which i think is at the heart of art.

May 19, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #89,600 of 90,479
This album with Multiverse Mentor is mind blowing unbelievable good!

A_Mortal_Binding.jpg

May 19, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #89,602 of 90,479
Here's your Sunday morning quote:

"It is surprising how easily one can become used to bad music" - F. Mendelssohn

And while I was quick nodding my head in agreement my second thought was "Wait... Does bad music actually exist at all?"

In case it does for you, how would you describe bad music? Not aiming for a genre or artist here so please refrain from throwing mud at others' favourites.

drftr

I had a college roommate who had one CD in his possession and played it incessantly:

The Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber

The Horror - Imgur.gif

May 19, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #89,603 of 90,479
This album with Multiverse Mentor is mind blowing unbelievable good!

A_Mortal_Binding.jpg
Their new album is really good, been played many times on CFA Bonneville the last weeks. Even with new good sets coming in I'm reaching for Bonneville when its rock or metal time.

Can share my faovorite metal release so far this year, Anthesis by Suldusk. Atmospheric black metal with female vocalist, also labelled as dark folk.
For me personally a gem, quite interesting and refreshing style I havent heard much of before.

May 19, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #89,604 of 90,479

Reposting the above just in case anyone missed this last weekend (for most of you that have, sorry for the repetition)

Would be delighted to have any and all of you join and enaged with us in our parallel WC thread for all headphone/desktop/home audio related banter

Meantime, will contineu to try to keep with this amazing portable audio thread - a true model of success to learn from and look up to :)

Hi everyone,

This thread has been a godsend to the portable community over the last 3 years, with @Rockwell75 's amazing stewardsip in building this truly wonderful community.

I had a few community members over the last couple of months asking me to start a parallel thread for full-size headphones and related gear and banter. After much thinking, as well as feedback and advice from Jeff and other communtiy members here, I decided to take the plunge and follow in Jeff's big shoes.

The Watercooler Headphone Edition thread is now launched:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-watercooler-headphone-edition-–-headphones-amps-dacs-and-desktop-home-audio-related-–-a-freewheeling-discussion-of-gear-impressions-music-and-musings.972819/#post-18119617

Any and all are welcome. Same rules, same vibe, same spirit... different gear.

Please come and engage, contribute, and help. Feedback and advice are most welcome.

And I will continue to enjoy this inspiring thread in parallel, as my nascent IEM obsession is developing. Lots of joy to go around!

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Eyal

May 19, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #89,605 of 90,479
Their new album is really good, been played many times on CFA Bonneville the last weeks. Even with new good sets coming in I'm reaching for Bonneville when its rock or metal time.

Can share my faovorite metal release so far this year, Anthesis by Suldusk. Atmospheric black metal with female vocalist, also labelled as dark folk.
For me personally a gem, quite interesting and refreshing style I havent heard much of before.

Yeah, Bonneville is CFA's Fir Kr5. Tuned very very similarly. Kr5 is more technical but also twice the cost. Bonneville has a touch more treble which is insane (I heard it as a bit too much, but ymmv). Both rule for black and extreme metal type genre's. Anni was also good, Bonneville was better for me. (Wonder why, lol) Oh yeah, infinitely better bass.

May 19, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #89,606 of 90,479
I honestly have been listening to them to the exclusion of almost everything else this week - haven’t even got round to comparing them with others in my collection yet, and I don’t think it would be fair to compare them with something I have heard in the past but don’t own or have on hand currently. But I understand and 100% agree with the need for comparisons and I’m happy to take requests to compare them with anything in my collection when time permits.
Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated and will be looking forward to your findings!

May 19, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #89,608 of 90,479
What cable and tips are you using on your Audio Technica ATH-IEX1 please? It's MMCX?
Cable is Vortex Eddie Square with Effect Audio A2DC conx connectors.

May 19, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #89,609 of 90,479
Fully agree with you mate! Canpur CP54E is an excellent IEM. I had the chance to listen to @F700 pair at the Amsterdam meet-up and I immediately liked it. I tried to order a custom pair from March 28th but unfortunately Canpur is not answering anymore (reminds me Elysian Acoustic 3 years ago ...)
Why not trying through @MusicTeck ? Pretty sure Andrew will be able to get Canpur responding to your request. Btw, impatient to know at what price the CP74e will retail…

May 19, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #89,610 of 90,479
Put a lot of work into this latest review. Lots to cover in 8k words, though everything is partitioned into separate pages/sections for easy navigation. Enjoy the read about the latest A&K SP3000T dual AMP dap.

ak-sp3000T-19.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back