The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 17, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #70,712 of 89,869
Great to hear you are enjoying, and I know exactly what you mean about how it calms the mind - I’m back from a long day at work and cannot wait to put some music on shortly and completely unwind.

Here’s another psydub to check out if you haven’t already - another incredibly well produced album.

https://tidal.com/album/152162847

Hope you managed to get some zen yesterday evening - although knowing what your listening room setup looks like, and that a glass of red and the Fei Wan were on tap for entertainment, it seems a needless wish to make! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cheers for this rec, too. It's queued for later. In the present I'm listening to something just a little different...

Screenshot_20231117-123806.png

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #70,713 of 89,869
Cayin N30 LE and HiBy R6 Gen 3. I prefer the more neutral tonality of the R6 Gen 3 with Fei Wan but it doesn’t really compete with the Cayin for staging of technicals, which is expected 😅
I see in the classifieds the M9 plus it looks very complete and really portable, I think you already had it or am I wrong 😂

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #70,714 of 89,869
I see in the classifieds the M9 plus it looks very complete and really portable, I think you already had it or am I wrong 😂

Yeah M9+ is very good! I am surprised at how little attention that DAP seems to have gotten. It’s still on the large side for DAPs but it’s definitely more portable than the chunky ones like RS8, Max, and N30.

I will likely use this R6 Gen 3 until the DX260 is available and have that as a portable option. With Fei Wan being very easy to drive I’m not too concerned on having a DAP with a beefy amp section, although it does help.

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #70,715 of 89,869
Yeah M9+ is very good! I am surprised at how little attention that DAP seems to have gotten. It’s still on the large side for DAPs but it’s definitely more portable than the chunky ones like RS8, Max, and N30.

I will likely use this R6 Gen 3 until the DX260 is available and have that as a portable option. With Fei Wan being very easy to drive I’m not too concerned on having a DAP with a beefy amp section, although it does help.
Without a doubt, the Dx240 is very portable and easy to put in your pocket, that's perfect for me too, we can be at work or even go for a walk and we can easily take the reader with us and have everything there. M9 Plus is still a little expensive but I'll see what's available as Semi-new

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #70,716 of 89,869
Speaking of that universal - thanks to @aaf evo + UPS I got my universal Fei Wan here today.

Slapped on the Orpheus (my second Orpheus - I’ve officially crossed the cable madness Rubicon). Initially put on an early 90’s R&B playlist (Montell Jordan’s This Is How We Do It, Mark Morrison’s Return of the Mack + so on) and was treated to bassy bliss and a rich, almost tube-like presentation. And this was just on a hike with a BTR7. So far this is the closest I have had an IEM setup sound like my desktop setup (Rossini stack/Primavera tube amp/Abyss TC) at a smidgen of the price and teensy weensy bit of the weight). Good luck lugging that setup here:

What I like about it is how it is not just quality bass - but bass that plays well with others. I kind of think of bass efficacy like what you would want out of an antibiotic. By that I mean it is really easy to kill bacteria - your $1.99 bottle of drug store bleach will kill damn near every microbe imaginable but the problem is that it obviously pretty toxic to healthy tissue too - so the trick is to find something that kills the baddies but plays nice with the bodies it‘s meant to treat. I’ve heard plenty of other sets where the bass either bleeds into or overwhelms the mids. But even with mid-centric music everything sounded quite right (yes, I put on a soft rock playlist - Streisand, Gordon Lightfoot and the like - chortle all you want but probably many of us here were conceived to this stuff!) You can have delicious DD bass and gorgeous mids. And the Orphy pairing - like PB + J - the sweetness balanced with the richness - I have heard Red Halo, MMR Thummim and Radon 6 and this is the best pairing yet I have heard. The last picture here shows Moku o Ole (Coconut Island) in the far distance (sorry it was overcast today). And Fei Wan gives the IEM equivalent holy grail that a UHF watching prepubescent kid would want - the Mary Ann face and the Ginger body!
You got me with that last one. That was the middle school boys' locker room fantasy! But just like those two were castaways on a distant island, I fear your zen playback chain is out of reach for me at the moment. Dare to dream...

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #70,718 of 89,869
Good Morning Watercoolers. Starting a 100 hour break in of the Simgot EA 1000. After hooking up my DAC dongle and installing some extras [ Satin Kracken II and tips} I hit play on Tidal and ........what BASS and full sounding tunes . This IEM is POP ready out of the box. It comes with extra nozzles and a bunch of those little rubber bands we musta use for our teeth braces.
UPDATE. This IEM has a nice midrange.
Any owners of this IEM interested in sharing their tune with the nozzles etc?

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #70,719 of 89,869
Good Morning Watercoolers. Starting a 100 hour break in of the Simgot EA 1000. After hooking up my DAC dongle and installing some extras [ Satin Kracken II and tips} I hit play on Tidal and ........what BASS and full sounding tunes . This IEM is POP ready out of the box. It comes with extra nozzles and a bunch of those little rubber bands we musta use for our teeth braces.
UPDATE. This IEM has a nice midrange.
Any owners of this IEM interested in sharing their tune with the nozzles etc?
All nozzles are quite similar with minor changes, but a tips if you want a slight warmer tonality.

Use one of the nozzle pairs and get some tuning foam inside the nozzle. Then on outside add a 500 mesh. This small change tame some of the upper energy while still retaining the resolving nature of EA1000.

Even so I have been rocking the stock nozzle it arrived with.

Personally I would have liked more low end, but what it provides in the bass is very textured and organic. Fast and agile also.

And yes the midrange is excellent 👌

I do wonder if the Passive Radiator adds to the texture of the bass.

DSCF3746-3.jpg

Some links to some parts. Personally I have a kit from Simgot that they gave me to use in a review. But the parts here should be similar.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msv1g7i

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msV8rRq

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #70,720 of 89,869
Fei Wan is really complementary to Grand Maestro so I use them for different moods. I recently bought an Eletech Raphael for GM and I love how it makes the bass sound even more textured and bodied, so it depends on what I feel like listening to really. I’m very happy with both. 👍🏽
Raphael also enhances and balances out the slightly understated mids nicely on the GM! :beerchug:

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #70,722 of 89,869
All nozzles are quite similar with minor changes, but a tips if you want a slight warmer tonality.

Use one of the nozzle pairs and get some tuning foam inside the nozzle. Then on outside add a 500 mesh. This small change tame some of the upper energy while still retaining the resolving nature of EA1000.

Even so I have been rocking the stock nozzle it arrived with.

Personally I would have liked more low end, but what it provides in the bass is very textured and organic. Fast and agile also.

And yes the midrange is excellent 👌

I do wonder if the Passive Radiator adds to the texture of the bass.

DSCF3746-3.jpg

Some links to some parts. Personally I have a kit from Simgot that they gave me to use in a review. But the parts here should be similar.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msv1g7i

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msV8rRq
Thank you Leonard. At 75 years old, I am a midrange and Bass guy, I just don't hear that much treble. Right out of the box this IEM sounds great to me, especially for the price.

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #70,724 of 89,869
I personally did not like the sound of FW when I heard at AV One while I was in Singapore. I felt it was too bright, and built quality just simply didn't cut it for now day and age, and specially for what it is selling for..
I think these are fair criticisms, especially at its asking price. I felt the same way. I did enjoy the voicing and timbre though. It seems those that enjoy FW really like it which is what matters. There's no one IEM for everyone.

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #70,725 of 89,869
Could you intentionally lose shell contact to test if you still get the bone conduction effect? Unfortunately, foams don't work well with my ears so I can't do this test.
I have to hold the unit just at the ears entry point to negate the bone conduction. I can’t get a seal that way so the sound is very hollow. It seems with the Mext it would be very difficult to use them normally and not get the effect of the bcd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back