The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #71,686 of 89,920
@Junmoe62 Julien, from memory you once heard the (probably) most expensive DD IEMs, correct? If that was you, what was the name of that Japanese brand?

Tnx...

drftr

EDIT: Single DD IEMs.
Hi @drftr,
Yes that’s correct.
The brand is Rosenkranz and the model’s name is the Silver KA 18K Gold

Here is the link on their website if you’re interested… :D

http://www.rosenkranz-jp.com/earphone/products/earphone/ka/1092/

I had both of those on hand for the past few days. Regrettably I didn't spend enough time with either to do them justice. I will say that the CP622B is quite good in a really "straight laced" sort of way. I could see it really appealing to the u12t/Monarch II/III crowd and if I was in the market for that "neutral with bass boost" sort of sound that's probably where I'd go.

Hi @Rockwell75 ,
Yes! That’s a very safe and excellently executed tuning IMHO! Pretty hard to dislike for sure! Nothing is out of place or stands out, yet everything is of the highest quality. Surely, if you’re after something more exotic tuning wise, that might not cut it though.

Also, I know you’re a DD bass kind of guy (I mostly am too) , so I’d like to ask you for your opinion on CP54E on the bass aspect ?! I personally found it quite impressive for a BA bass only! Not even BCD! I would even say, they impressed me for any kind of driver bass!!! :D
They have some of the deepest reaching bass ! They do super subbass stuff like Bigboi Kill Jill or Daft Punk Solar Sailer like real champs! Many DDs don’t even fair that well on those tracks.
Did you get the same feeling at all?!

Cheers,

Julien

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #71,687 of 89,920
Spot on, BA drivers are the vegan burgers of bass.
🤣

There is only good bass and bad bass - as it goes for music... :xf_cool:

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #71,688 of 89,920
Aroma Fei Wan custom purchased and received! I’m loving it so far !! Maybe some impressions later :).
IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3577.jpeg
IMG_3581.jpeg
IMG_3584.jpeg
IMG_3585.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #71,689 of 89,920
aroma Fei Wan custom purchased and received! I’m loving it so far !! Maybe some impressions later :). IMG_3579.jpegIMG_3577.jpegIMG_3581.jpegIMG_3584.jpegIMG_3585.jpeg
Congrats!

That CIEM nozzle reminds me of the vuvuzela... 😁

1701013408911.png

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #71,691 of 89,920
I think for me it's less a matter of sounding like a DD and more a matter of feeling like a DD. BAs can simulate good decay and have good timbre but that in combination with the visceral feeling, movement of air and concomitant meatiness that comes with an actual DD is what really seals the deal. YMMV etc. DD equivalent BAs are the philosopher's stone of portable audio.
100%, my friend.

But that being said, I hope you get to try these IEMs. They are really something else.

Any plans to come to the Singapore Canjam?

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #71,692 of 89,920
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #71,693 of 89,920
100%, my friend.

But that being said, I hope you get to try these IEMs. They are really something else.

Any plans to come to the Singapore Canjam?

Alas, no. It is not feasible for me as it doesn’t line up with my holidays. You should come to NYC!

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #71,696 of 89,920
@Rockwell75 beware of polarity with Nightjar’s cables, because they haven’t a curved preformed design like on other cables, it’s easy to inverse polarity when attaching the cable to the iems, it seems it’s the case on your pic if this cable is wired like my vanguard.
With the vanguard I figured out that the right way of plugin it to iems in order to have the same polarity was when the same side was visible on the external part of both iems like that :

IMG_2648.jpeg

Here you can see the center “hole” line between pins is visible on each iem external side.
That might be the real explanation behind hearing differences in cables. Dun.. dun.. duuuun! 😅

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #71,697 of 89,920
Well, the HD800S sounds notably better on the SP3000 than with other DAC/AMPs I've tested such as AK CA1000T, RME ADI-2 PRO SE. I have a Shanling UA2+ lying around here and on the PC (only on the PC!) this thing is brutally powerful: the volume with the HD800S can't be louder than 10-15 / 100 (IEMs about 5–10, if I remember correctly), because it's already loud enough as it is. For comparison: With the SP3000 I need about 90-100 / 150. For gaming, this is actually quite sufficient, considering the sound quality of the games (spoiler: not high, of course...).

Actually everything: resolution, soundstage / holography, tuning etc.

Yes, but then there's the problem of the delay with the Hugo 2 (every Chord). I can't do any gaming or watch videos with it.
I actually wanted to hold my opinion back in this thread where audio gear below at least 1k doesn't exist but I decided not to 😅

Give the Fiio K7 a shot if you can psychologically handle it being value priced.

I went IEMs only this year, super happy with this decision. Then came Black Friday and I decided to re-purchase an HD800S because I just love It's sound(stage). Third time's the charm now after HD800 in 2013 and my first 800S in 2019 or so.

Anyway, the HD800S does indeed play really nice from the SP3000 but I like using my iPad as a streamer and use the K7 as DAC/Amp for convenience at my desk and it does a really great job, I was surprised (actually I thought, I'd send it back anyways..)! When listening critically I think the SP3000 is still ahead 6/10 times but 4/10 I like the K7 better. Not sure if what I hear are psycho acoustics, though. Anni and GM also play great with the K7, the Mentor absolutely not, bad match.

Oh btw. my favorite dealer made me an offer I couldn't resist when I picked up the HD800S and sold me an Utopia 2022 open box (10 days old in new-like condition) for nearly 50% off. I couldn't resist and now I own 2 full size HPs again 🫣... and I love it. I think It's great switching between IEM and full size, very different experience and now with the Utopia, wow, great. This is the real deal for me.

Still, going from the Annihilator to the Utopia, the latter sounds veiled at first. Anni is clarity in It's purest form!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #71,698 of 89,920
Oh btw. my favorite dealer made me an offer I couldn't resist when I picked up the HD800S and sold me an Utopia 2022 open box (10 days old in new-like condition) for nearly 50% off. I couldn't resist and now I own 2 full size HPs again 🫣... and I love it. I think It's great switching between IEM and full size, very different experience and now with the Utopia, wow, great. This is the real deal for me.

Still, going from the Annihilator to the Utopia, the latter sounds veiled at first. Anni is clarity in It's purest form!
Absolutely, I love both IEMs and headphones. Currently relaxing with the Elite, driven by SP3000 and C9. Sounds great.. :)

Edit: great album to unwind with.

1701019055338.png

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #71,699 of 89,920
Absolutely, I love both IEMs and headphones. Currently relaxing with the Elite, driven by SP3000 and C9. Sounds great.. :)
Both is key ! Headphones IEMS n speakers all complement each other beautifully

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #71,700 of 89,920
Hmm... Noticing the Tools and Extensions options in the tool bar just now... 😜

drftr
I particularly like the 'Insert' option. And it's preselected already.. A coincidence? I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back