The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #71,851 of 89,903
Radio Paradise is one of the best radio stations I've used. It's free, has no commercials, and streams in FLAC (via the app - although there are still FLAC stream links floating about that you can use in Foobar and the like). You have the choice of the main channel, rock, mellow and global channels. Thoroughly recommend if you've not already discovered it. One of its best features, actually, is that it lets you buffer cache up to several hours ahead, so if you're planning to go underground or through areas with no access to WiFi, then as long as you've loaded it up a little prior to leaving then you don't have to be concerned about your session being interrupted.

IMG20231128115158.jpg

P.S. 'Grats on your FW acquisition, @RonaldS86. For all those that describe its default colour as 'piss yellow', then ya'll need to drink more water. Lots more :stuck_out_tongue: I can't get over the packaging, though, the branding just doesn't seem appropriately commensurate to the luxury of the IEM itself. Whoever said they'd more be expecting a cake to reside within was hilariously on point.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #71,852 of 89,903
Radio Paradise is one of the best radio stations I've used. It's free, has no commercials, and streams in FLAC (via the app - although there are still FLAC stream links floating about that you can use in Foobar and the like). You have the choice of the main channel, rock, mellow and global channels. Thoroughly recommend if you've not already discovered it. One of its best features, actually, is that it lets you buffer up to several hours ahead, so if you're planning to go underground or through areas with no access to WiFi, then as long as you've loaded it up a little prior to leaving then you don't have to be concerned about your session being interrupted.

P.S. 'Grats on your FW acquisition, @RonaldS86. For all those that describe its default colour as 'piss yellow', then ya'll need to drink more water. Lots more :stuck_out_tongue: I can't get over the packaging, though, the branding just doesn't seem appropriately commensurate to the luxury of the IEM itself. Whoever said they'd more be expecting a cake to reside within was hilariously on point.
Funnily enough I'm the one who said it 😂
I won't be surprised if I found a cake inside when I open the box 🍰🍰
And thank you for your kind words 🙏

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #71,853 of 89,903
Exact audio copy is the hardcore or enthusiast choice and it is more picky than other software in my experience, particularly if you have it set up for slower more accurate ripping with more passes. dbpoweramp is also another option but commercial, check for any ongoing Cyber Monday deals

Or else buy a CD ripper box thing :p

Double check the licensing law in your country. Not everywhere allows the storage of digital backups and selling on the physical media :sunglasses:
Bookmarked!

How about hardware? I found this A&K device but from the description it looks like they picked a very specific interface that only works with certain devices - all of them of course being A&K, which I don't & won't have:

https://audiofile.nl/astellkern-cd-ripper-mkii-pem15-gun-metal/

drftr

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #71,854 of 89,903
Any Qobuz subscribers here who read the 10% Black Friday gift card discount offers running out in 2 days?
Can these be applied also to active subscribers or only new ones?

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #71,856 of 89,903
I’m in SF

When are you guys planning to meet up? Apologies if I missed it…Depending on when, I could possibly take a flight down to the LA area..
Hi! I've met with theveterans, DenverW and XERO1 at the San Diego meetup as well as CanJam SoCal 2023 and would love to join the WaterCooler meetup!

Excellent! Would be terrific having you guys join us! 🥳 There's no location or exact date as of this moment, trying to get a sense of how much space we'll need first. Here's our current roster:

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #71,857 of 89,903
Just purchased Amber Pearl IEM. By far the most expensive IEM I've ever bought, but it really resonated with me. Might as well since I already have the AP DAP.

I love it! I was the reverse... I wanted the UM AP and figure I might as well take the loss and upgrade to the n30le AP too.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #71,858 of 89,903
Did I absentmindedly forget anybody? @timeslip, are you anywhere near us that you might want to join in?

I am up in the Sacramento area. I would love to join, but it would be date dependent. Winter tends to be snowboard season on weekends with the family.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #71,859 of 89,903
Exact audio copy is the hardcore or enthusiast choice and it is more picky than other software in my experience, particularly if you have it set up for slower more accurate ripping with more passes. dbpoweramp is also another option but commercial, check for any ongoing Cyber Monday deals

Or else buy a CD ripper box thing :p

Double check the licensing law in your country. Not everywhere allows the storage of digital backups and selling on the physical media :sunglasses:

Wow, EAC is still going strong. I have ripped so many CDs, so slowly, with EAC, for my own use and for others, back when I was an OiNK member(don't judge me). :pig2:

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #71,861 of 89,903
Changed my XE6 cable. I used the stock cable for a week or so. Changed it to the PWA First times and it was more balanced, but a bit bass shy. Read where the Rn6 cable was all silver so ordered a Cleo II Octa and started break in today for 100 hours or maybe more if needed.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #71,862 of 89,903
Changed my XE6 cable. I used the stock cable for a week or so. Changed it to the PWA First times and it was more balanced, but a bit bass shy. Read where the Rn6 cable was all silver so ordered a Cleo II Octa and started break in today for 100 hours or maybe more if needed.
Interesting, I don't expect Cleo II Octa to have more bass emphasis than First Times. I'll be very surprised if it does. Await your findings.

PS. The Rn6 stock cable is copper-plated silver.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #71,863 of 89,903
Interesting, I don't expect Cleo II Octa to have more bass emphasis than First Times. I'll be very surprised if it does. Await your findings.

Nah, it's "Pure silver, Oxygen-free, copper shielded Black Cable Gold-plated balanced 4.4mm Termination"

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #71,864 of 89,903

Yeah, it's pure silver with a copper shield, not copper plated... although the shield does affect the sound, so...

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #71,865 of 89,903
Received the MM kit yesterday. Cross-posting my MM listening notes from the Watercooler Tour thread:

Chain:
320MAX Ti DAP + MK475 amp + Azla Sedna Short tips.

Staging:
The feature that surprised me the most is the staging. I'm hearing a very "fleshed out", coherent stage (when the track allows) and some of the best imaging I've heard.

Bass:
Decent bass dynamics but can use more bass definition in the note edges and in general. Despite these issues, it offers a decent punch.

Tuning:
Neutral warm leaning tuning. I don't know if the treble squigs elevated, but at least on my chain, the treble sounds smooth without perceptible peaks.

Treble:
I really enjoy the treble response on this set which is more than I can say for most other IEMs I've heard. Really well-executed.

Mids:
Voicing sounds neutrally placed with good body and a smooth and analogue feel. Very non-fatiguing.

Cons:
Now a nitpick. With my listening so far, MM lacks resolution compared to sets like Anni 23. I plan on trying ear tips that offer more clarity (Velvets, SpinFit Omnis, SpinFit W1) to see if this makes any change.

The "Deep of Universe" cable is slightly microphonic as well. I'm assuming this comes stock with MM.

Summary:
Overall, MM is a great set. From a personal standpoint, it has some of my favorite tuning and everything I index for. I know some don't like MM's bass but I have no such issue, preferring it to the bass of something like the Annihilator 2023.

Additional notes:
My main gripe with MM is the pricing. Even with diminishing returns factored in, MM as an overall package (tuning + techs) is priced about 2k too high (IMO).

As much as I like it (and I really like it), I'd rather stretch an additional 1k for something like Storm than to overpay (IMO) for MM. A very different IEM, but I think something like Annihilator 2023 is much more competitively priced from a price-to-performance ratio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back