The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 24, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #75,136 of 89,980
Merry Christmas from my family to yours.

IMG_7217.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #75,137 of 89,980
Merry Christmas to all in the Watercooler! Listening to some oldskool style rave from Scuba - no relation to me 😜 Best in full analogue format.

IMG_9487.jpeg

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #75,138 of 89,980
Congrats on the N30LE! I hadn't realized you'd bought one.

I was tempted to get one as well, but was told (by someone who's ears I respect) that the SP3K + MK475/Tsuranagi in combination are at least as good, if not better. Of course that's just one person's impressions and I can't personally confirm that. But it was enough to keep me from purchasing the N30LE as a blind buy, since I already have the SP3k & amps. I wouldn't call the SP3k mid-fi, but would say it's a TOTL DAC with an underpowered amp. But I feel it works perfectly fine unamped with, say, the Xe6/Rn6, which aren't very power hungry.

Re the Ronin, I'm surprised it doesn't get more love. Perhaps the issue is that it doesn't have the most impressive bass/low-end weight, and I agree it doesn't have bite in the treble. So it doesn't have a wow factor in those respects, but I get those characteristics from my other IEMs, and the "wow" for me is how natural it sounds, overall, especially in the mids, as you'd mentioned. It's not flashy but it's supremely competent. I pair it with the Orphy or Shirogane, so that's probably another reason I hold it in higher regard than some others might.

Speaking of Noble IEMs, the Ragnar has been less-discussed lately, but a listening session yesterday reminded me that it remains an extraordinarily impressive IEM. The tuning does take a few minutes of brain burn-in when coming from something warmer, but once I've made that adjustment (& I use it with the Orphy, which helps to warm it up) it still gives me a lot of special moments with its expansive soundstage and detail.
Yes, it's a very spontaneous decision after listening to the M9+ and being amazed by the amp potential compared to the SP3000. But the M9+ was too warm for me and the resolution wasn't high enough.

Be careful, I specified in my post that the SP3000 without amp is comparatively mid-fi for me and that with an MK475/Tsuranagi it could certainly be either comparable or even "better" (subjectively speaking) than the N30. In this respect, I agree with you. For me, even the Xe6 and Rn6 benefit from more power.

I also agree about Ronin: if only it had more low-end weight and bite in the treble, it would certainly be a favorite for me.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #75,139 of 89,980
Dec 24, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #75,142 of 89,980
Question: What's the first IEM you expect to buy in 2024?
Possibly the trifecta but I am sticking to my guns, and not making any decision until Canjam NYC :)

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #75,143 of 89,980
Shame when an election is stolen by a bunch of criminals like the Bidens.
I think the OG poster's response was just in jest , at least that is the way I took it , and I am sorry if I offended anyone with my response . My response to the OG is because I appreciate a little humor and I do not think the OG went to far with what he said . Since Joe President Biden has not been indicted of any crimes , how can you say the whole family is a bunch of criminals ?

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #75,146 of 89,980
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #75,147 of 89,980
Project M (maybe), Pilgrim (more likely), VEX (possibly), used IER-Z1R (outside chance). Beyond that there's nothing else really on my radar for new releases in 2024. Looking forward to new products getting announced closer to and during NYC CanJam. Elysian Dio, alas, will be too $$ for me.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #75,148 of 89,980
We (@Deezel177) told yooouuuuu! 😄 Sooo happy you got it in time for Christmas!

I agree with your impressions. I don't want to say it's perfect, nothing is. But honestly, it's truly not easy finding fault with the X4 according to my preferences. And given it's sub-kilobuck pricing, I am absolutely shocked at its price-to-performance ratio.

If I had any bone to pick with it (and I don't BTW), it would be that it doesn't isolate as well as a pure acrylic CIEM. But I can understand that trade-off given their goal of enhancing comfort, so that's easily excusable.

Given that so few of us have it, I feel safe in saying that it's probably one of the most underrated units here.
I very much agree that there is almost nothing to complain about with this set. I have been listening to it basically non stop since it arrived, I dont want to take them out, even fell asleep with them in. I hope more enthusiasts check these out as I do not think anyone could be disappointed with this set.
Question: What's the first IEM you expect to buy in 2024?
I was going to get Oriolus Monachaa and Craft Ears Omnium and although I have not heard the Omnium I will more than likely pass on it as well.

The Bellos X4 is such a good tuning, nothing is out of line, out of place, bass is so satisfying, this has taken the place of Perpetua as my nuetral warm set in my lineup. I did a quick comparison to Trifecta as well this morning (not that these two are anything alike, just for fun) and I am preferring the bass from the X4 (the bass is soooo good my friends!) and much preferring the treble extension and resolution of the X4. This set has made me pass on the Monachaa and most likely the Omnium as well.

Kinera Loki for my fun, energetic, deep bass set with surprisingly good timbre/tonality.
&
Canpur 622b for my reference, liquid sound w/o sacrificing techs.

On the Horizon is most definitely the NightJar Duality, Elysian DIO and I hope to hear the Aroma Fei Wan as soon as possible although it seems like a set I would not enjoy long term, but I wont know that until I lay my own ears on them as well as the UM Amber Pearl and VE X.

I am seriously considering Simphonio P Zero...although little talk about this set, a few coolers own it and love it which has me intrigued.

I will most likely not be purchasing any iems anytime soon, currently my only plan for Jan/Feb 2024 is to make Canpur 622b into a Custom and get to CanJam NYC in March to meet the Homies and listen to a crap ton of gear that I want to check off my massive list of "iems I want to demo"

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #75,150 of 89,980
I posted here about how I was considering the Kiwi Ears Cadenza a while back, but as I ended up getting myself an over-ear T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition that month I didn't end up ordering it in the end.

My purchase finger was itching again though and since it's Christmas I decided to order the Cadenza as a Christmas present for myself. Should have it in 4 days time so I'm excited for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back