The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #75,721 of 89,958
For anyone interested, the entire album's half-price today on Steam for 5 bucks:

Buying albums off there is kind of a pain given that you need the steam client installed, but once purchase, simply browse to manage downloaded files and it's easy enough to drop them on a DAP.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #75,722 of 89,958
I wanted to find a TWS that offered something different from the APP2…if losing in integration, hopefully gaining in audio quality/presentation.

I’m happy to report these Denon Perl Pro (formerly Nuratrue Pro) fit the bill and I’ve been using them in my hikes and workouts: full, dynamic and engulfing sound.
Recommended!

Didn't know they bought Nura, that's interesting... What about their headphone then?

And yes, these sound pretty good, just kind of a weird shape.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #75,726 of 89,958
Guess who?

IMG_6897.jpeg

An American gentleman in Delhi via Prague, rocking out to Trifecta off the DMPZ1!

Another hint: he does some pretty awesome cables reviews! 🙂
Very nice to meet you, and some other Delhi HF’ers too 😀

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #75,727 of 89,958
Guess who?

IMG_6897.jpeg

An American gentleman in Delhi via Prague, rocking out to Trifecta off the DMPZ1!

Another hint: he does some pretty awesome cables reviews! 🙂
And his fingers show how many people it takes to make it all portable?)

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #75,728 of 89,958
I see a VE X or Fei Wan custom in my future, depending on whether or not the HiBy R8II tickles my fancy. :D I've been waiting years for a colorless source that could dethrone my venerable LPGT, and it looks it could.
A logical upgrade from LPGT to LPGT Ti. Or to LP6Ti. I admit, if I had known earlier how big the difference was between LPGT and Ti, I would have upgraded sooner.
Anyway, I've been comparing them to the RS8 and it's not exactly encouraging.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #75,729 of 89,958
Thanks for the feedback on SE300 - a laggy UI is an immediate dealbreaker so that’s crossed off the list immediately.

Perpetua is here… what a stunning unboxing experience. I suspect any plans I had for the rest of today will be scrapped!

IMG_9541.jpeg

IMG_9543.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9546.jpeg

IMG_9545.jpeg

IMG_9550.jpeg

IMG_9548.jpeg

IMG_9553.jpeg
O God. Oh my God. It's an extraordinary unboxing experience. Since I love accessories and all kinds of little things, I'm already thinking that these have to be the IEMs for me. The only thing that stops me is the wallet and reviews that this is a different direction of sound than it was in the classic Dream and Dream XLS models. Recently I returned to the latter and it is definitely a meeting of two lovers.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #75,730 of 89,958
For anyone interested, the entire album's half-price today on Steam for 5 bucks:

Buying albums off there is kind of a pain given that you need the steam client installed, but once purchase, simply browse to manage downloaded files and it's easy enough to drop them on a DAP.

One of my favorite games of the year!

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #75,731 of 89,958
A logical upgrade from LPGT to LPGT Ti. Or to LP6Ti. I admit, if I had known earlier how big the difference was between LPGT and Ti, I would have upgraded sooner.
It's apparently brighter, which puts it off my list entirely. The LPGT is almost bass-shy as it is. I have it on good authority that the RS8II is better than the RS8 in numerous areas, so I'm excited about that.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #75,732 of 89,958
Interesting POV. I do not necessarily agree LPGT Ti as an upgrade of LPGT OG, except having an edge in technicals because of its tuning. Ti does have higher power though, especially in 3.5mm. You can describe the LPGT OG as dark neutral, but the LPGT Ti is noticeably brighter than neutral. In fact that was what hesitated me from upgrading to Ti. I do believe the Mjolnir provides combines best of both worlds, except 'imbuing' that Lotoo flavour into iems/cans.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #75,733 of 89,958
Guess who?

IMG_6897.jpeg

Another hint: he does some pretty awesome cable reviews! 🙂
Ah i missed today's meetup due to some medical emergency. Hope you guys had an amazing time.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #75,734 of 89,958
Let me set the context of this morning’s listening session. I used the Sony 1ZM2 (no other reason than it was near me). My initial impression upon slipping on the APX was the trebles were well extended, yet smooth. The fact that the stem is longish does mean that the soundstage and vibration is closer to the ear drums. I think that is an excellent design feature. That is the very obvious impression I had on initial listnening. I was discussing with my group of Cooler friends and I was surprised to be told that there is in fact no BCD. That it is a planar for ultra low, DD for low, 8 BA fo r mids/highs and a planar for ultra high. I recall that the drivers were built to the specificiatons of @piotrus-g . So, not surprisingly, it is unlike anything I have heard before.

I should mention the visceral nature of the bass and sub bass. Whilst it is visceral, it is nonetheless nuanced and textured. I think the reason it is the way it is lies with the deep insertion with the design of the shell, in particular the stem and the angle at which it is done. The insertion is deep and yet still very comfortable. I was using the Electech Baroque ear tips and it was a match made in heaven. I can pay no greater compliment than to say that coming from a world where my go to option is FitEar customs that there was times during my listening session I did not realise that I was wearing an UIEM, as the APX faded away from my consciousness. This must be the first pair of UIEMs I have put on which frankly feels like I am wearing a pair of customs in terms of comfort and fit. And the ease with which I am getting the visceral yet nuanced bass is not something I have had other than with the DD based range from FitEar customs, in particular the titanium range.

I am certain it is how the APX has been designed to have that particular stem insertion depth, coupled with the angle of the stem. I salute the effort and R&D here.

The APX is not something that jumped out and immediately revealed everything at one go. As I listened, it seemed that it slowly grew on me as it slowly revealed what it can do with each successive song I was listening to.

I am not so good at technical terms in describing sound. What I will say is that the APX is on the warmer side of neutral. I like the sound density but yet excellent instrument separation. The sound stage is something I really like: it is cocoon like. The trebles are well extended with nary a hint of harshness. The trebles have obviously seen good work done on them. At the same time, there is this visceral bass which to its credit does not bleed into the mids or overpower the rest of the notes. The mids have a nice timbral quality to them.

As I hinted earlier, in terms of how the various parts of the sound spectrum is put together, it does indeed remind me of the first time I had heard the Susvara years ago when Dr Fang Bian brought a pair for me to try after dinner with his Singapore AD: layers upon layers of details and aural information. I really thought my head was going to explode that evening. :wink:

What I particularly liked about the APX is that it is not trying to impress. No special party trick to make anything stick out. It adopts a pretty holistic approach In its musical presentation.

IMG_1687.jpeg

This was one of the songs I was listening to this morning. It is a sad song. A duet sung by two female vocalists. You will understand the sadness when you understand the lyrics and the undercurrents of the duet between two women in an opera troupe and their aspirations for freedom. The APX really works this well and wrings the emotions out of the song and the vocals especially during the finale but yet keeps the individual vocals distinct and layered. I will say that it was an emotive experience. For me, I am not so taken by technicalities but by how any transducer plucks my heartstrings. By that token, I think the APX passes that test.

I am frankly surprised how so many drivers have been squeezed into a small shell as this. The implementation is top notch as well. Because of how well the shell has been designed, the fit is excellent for me. As a consequence, the isolation is very good: I feel insulated and cocooned with them in my ears. At first glance, I thought the shell was a little unusual looking but once I slipped it on, it worked well.

Apologies for the rambling. :) What I will say is that I am impressed by the APX. The musical presentation is excellent, as is the design of the shell and its stem. Everything is well conceived and implemented. I can say no better than it fit me like a pair of custom and once the music started playing, it melted away and it no longer impinged on my consciousness. :)
I just can't image how two planar drivers are fit inside a tiny IEM along with 1 DD and 8 other BA drivers.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #75,735 of 89,958
So I can't remember who it was here that told me I should pull the trigger on the Kiwi Ears Cadenza, but whoever it was, thank you! It just arrived today and I'm really impressed by it.

The tuning is just so much fun. The treble especially is really pleasing to my ears, coming from my K702 and T50RP 50th Anni, the way this presents female vocals could best be described as smooth and I love it.

A good example of a couple songs where the Cadenza's smooth vocals are especially evident:

Where my Tanchjim Zero sounds a bit thin at times, this has lots of warmth and body.

Soundstage seems middle of the ground, a bit more intimate than my wider cans like my K702 and T50RP 50th Anni, but wider than my narrower ones like my HD25 or CAL!. lmaging seems very precise.

Probably the best $/performance ratio out of anything I own so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back