The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #76,172 of 89,998
Happy New Year to you all around the world. I wish everyone a 2024 filled with happiness, good fortune, and good health. 🙏🏽

Meanwhile I am making bad decisions already but with good company. 🥳

IMG_8134.jpeg
Dipping bacon on butter?

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #76,173 of 89,998
Here's to a great final day of 2023-- and Happy New year to our brothers and sister in SG (and elsewhere) where it is 2024 already.

IEM of the year poll closing soon and I'll have the results out before the end of the day.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #76,174 of 89,998
I'll be going to tokyo next spring. Is there a store that you would recommend with the best selection of Van Nuys? Do they have an official store?
I just checked their website, and they have stores in Shibuya and Tokushima:

https://vannuys.co.jp/shop_shibuya/
https://vannuys.co.jp/shop_tokushima/

e-earphone in Akihabara (as well as their other outlets, most likely) carry a good amount of their products too.

Happy New Year to all but I was just pondering why on Earth Christians would pick the start of the new year 7 days after the birth of Christ. Isn't that a tad weird? Or is there an easy explanation that I missed? Similar question for heathens like me: Why pick a date that is so far from the "natural" start of the year in Spring? At least pick the start of Winter / the shortest day instead.

Clueless as always - a trend that I will try to keep during 2024. 🤓

drftr
Something something Gregorian calendar, something something Spring is actually used to signify Easter, something something 10th grade History I can barely remember. We Indonesians don't even think about seasons like Spring. Here, it's either hot and humid, or rainy and humid. Take your pick. :D

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #76,175 of 89,998
Last cooler to greet new year would be @HiFiHawaii808, we west coast folks still have more than half a day to spend in 2023. Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone and don't drink too much if you have to drive.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #76,177 of 89,998
Well… 2023 is coming to a close. Personally, this year had it’s challenges which I’m sure is the case with all of us, but it also included blessings such as travel, finally seeing Springsteen in New Jersey (bucket list for me) and closing out the year with family at Christmas which was a rare opportunity to have my mom and kids together.

As for audio, it was far more active than I imagined. My visit to CanJam NYC was too brief, but I came home with a ZMF Atrium Cocobolo. Other additions in 2023 included Mojo2 and a Norne Skollvar cable for the Atrium which I highly recommend from a sonic, aesthetic and craftsmanship perspective.

On the IEM front, owned Diva 2023 for about a month, added Spartacus which still gives me wow moments, and now Trifecta is in route!!!

Having a Campfire IEM back in the fold is sentimental for me since that brand has been a prominent player through my time in this hobby. I’ve owned Vega OG, Andromeda V2, Atlas, Solaris OG and Solaris SE. In fact, I recall reading @Rockwell75 posts about Solaris SE on the Campfire thread when he was in the nascent era of his IEM journey. Hard to believe that was over 4 years ago, many lifetimes in IEM years!

My thanks to everyone for making 2023 such an enjoyable year on this thread. Having a sanctuary where we can share our passion for gear and more importantly the music which comes alive on it is what makes this such a special place.

Wishing you all a most happy and healthy 2024. :) 🎉🎊🎼🍸

Vinnie

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #76,178 of 89,998
Something something Gregorian calendar, something something Spring is actually used to signify Easter, something something 10th grade History I can barely remember. We Indonesians don't even think about seasons like Spring. Here, it's either hot and humid, or rainy and humid. Take your pick. :D
🤣 Yes, it's a bit of everything. Just add to the bucket that SEPTember should've been month 7, OCTOber month 8, NOVEmber 9, and DECEmber 10, and you get the picture: We messed it up and took it for granted - the history of human beings in 9 words 😜

drftr

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #76,179 of 89,998
🤣 Yes, it's a bit of everything. Just add to the bucket that SEPTember should've been month 7, OCTOber month 8, NOVEmber 9, and DECEmber 10, and you get the picture: We messed it up and took it for granted - the history of human beings in 9 words 😜

drftr
Or, it could be the ancient people messed up and now we just corrected them.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #76,180 of 89,998
Or, it could be the ancient people messed up and now we just corrected them.
Yes, we seem to think we're very clever these days. Assuming that's correct then I have one more calendar issue for you to solve:

How can it be that the birthday of Christ is always on exactly Dec 25th but his passing away is on a different date every year? Must be part of the miracle, and I'm happy you will solve the math just in time before you celebrate New Year :)

drftr

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #76,181 of 89,998
Enjoying the morning of NYE in Socal with the Loki and M9+...the track says it all! Happy New Year, Cooler, here's to more in 2024 (and beyond, God willing)!

20231231_113631.jpg

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #76,183 of 89,998
Happy new year! So glad I treated myself to the Kiwi Ears Cadenza the other day, it's been stealing head-time from my K702 and T50RP 50th Anni despite those being $150 and $200 respectively. I just find I keep reaching for the Cadenzas.

Stupid me is already thinking "What next?" though and curious about planar IEMs, because I think I'd kill for something with the tonality and timbre of this Cadenza but with the lush planar bass of my T50RP 50th Anni.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #76,184 of 89,998
Yes, we seem to think we're very clever these days. Assuming that's correct then I have one more calendar issue for you to solve:

How can it be that the birthday of Christ is always on exactly Dec 25th but his passing away is on a different date every year? Must be part of the miracle, and I'm happy you will solve the math just in time before you celebrate New Year :)

drftr
I'd quibble on this, if not for the fact that the myriad of health, job, and family health issues I've had this year has pretty much shattered whatever semblance of religious faith I had left. I was never exactly a "good" Jew having married a Chinese woman, but I had (past tense) faith in...something, if not nothing. Less so these days. At least music still does something for me.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #76,185 of 89,998
Dear All,

I am the happy owner of the combo Cayin N30 + Amber pearl IEM. I am very happy with it, but.... I read that Unique Melody propose a program to make your Amber pearl Custom.

I am tempted, but I wonder: is the difference between universal and Custom mostly a matter of fit & confort or, can the switch to Custom improve the sonic quality of the IEM. Will my Amber Pearl sound better if I make it Custom ?

thanks for your advices and.... happy new year

N30.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back