The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #76,696 of 90,121
Why not both?
I like the way you think… unfortunately I have another trip intruding around that weekend, and it’s a bit out of the way for me. SoCal and Dallas would be closer. I am itching to go to a CanJam so bad!

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #76,697 of 90,121
Just curious as to what makes it special?
Sweet sweet rich vocal, imaging and non-offensive/laid back tuning.
Due to its unique vocal presentation, it’s one of the iems that the owners usually keep for a long time.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #76,699 of 90,121
Shouty midrange

Shouty usually is from treble, don't know what is a shouty midrange.

That upper midrange / lower treble area if there is a boost some people hear it as shouty, for example listen to Grado headphones

A shouty midrange may be the music track, if the vocals or midrange are too hot and the mixing engineer did not or could not fix it

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #76,700 of 90,121
I'd vote for upper mids as it's literally voices shouting at you instead of just singing.

drftr
I think there are overlapping in term of upper midrange and the treble, it is fair to say it is the upper mids, or lower treble that is bothering you, for example female vocal. But for me, I would rather put that part into the category of treble.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #76,701 of 90,121
Normally treble is higher for me, i generally have trouble with that 1.8-2.2Khz region.
Best example: THIS.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #76,702 of 90,121
IMG_5257.jpeg

Trying out Fatfreq Maestro thanks to Watercooler Tour 🙏(Just received).

Initially, with the dx300 max Ti and stock cable, I felt the sound profile was thin with a lot of energy at the top. Maybe be due to the ear tip (slightly smaller Velvet tip due to the long nozzle, similar to Noble iems), or energy up top, I didn't sense too much bass-head bass.

After switching to Dx220max W mod and the Nostalgia Avalon copper cable (Camelot’s stock cable... Camelot is paired with Erua Tawa 4w to maximize resolution and sparkle), I noticed the sound became thicker, with a pleasant copper hue.

So far, it sounds good, offering a nice balanced V-shaped sound. Vocals sound nice and soft. I'm enjoying this as much as UM Indigo+ Eye of Horus (a full copper cable). It's very musical and enjoyable without missing details. However, it doesn't have the EE (Empire Ears) BCD feel that EE iems or Flipears Astra have. Also, Camelot’s 2DD seemed to have better shaped bass, I think 🤔, but I didn't directly compare them. Will keep listening.

(I am not a fan of interchangeable iem cable connector. I feel it degrades sound. Newer cable has more compact and neat OE audio tech applied to the term end I think)
Try pairing Maestro with Eletech Raphael and the Maestro will truly sing.

Camelot's 2DD bass is truly special. Maestro is more of a sub-bass iem.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #76,703 of 90,121
Phew! Finally caught up with the insane 'Cooler page production over the holidays after being gone for only a week! Took me four days!

Wanted to say Happy New Year to all and express my excitement for 2024 and all it will bring us in audio and beyond.

I wish Health and Happiness to you all!

Currently demoing the two new EA cables as part of the tour. I will be posting impressions soon. Suffice it to say that I have already been in contact with Jordon at EA to place an order for the blue cable. It performed such voodoo magic on my Bonnevilles that I could not resist, even though I am theoretically saving up for another IEM.

I have tried pure copper and silver/copper hybrid cables on the Bonnevilles and enjoyed them but felt something was left missing each time. In the case of pure copper, there was an over-emphasis on the mid-bass and lower-mids, which the Bonnevilles already possess in spades, with some loss to overall fullness of the bass and some slight nastiness in the upper mids.

With the silver/copper hyrbid, I heard deeper sub-bass and smoother upper mids but the fullness of the mids and mid-bass was too compromised.

Then I tried the blue, first without knowing what it was, then discovering it was the SPC Code24. Well, suffice it to say, there's a reason CA sends the Bonnevilles with their SPC "Timestream" cable. Deep subbass, full mids, and the best treble on the Bonnevilles I have ever heard. Technicals all up a notch from stock too.

So I ordered it, like I said, and it comes with ConX and TermX so I can use it anywhere anytime. Yes, ergo is not great but def better than Code23 and, to beat a dead horse, it performs utter magic with the Bonnevilles. Dead-black background, great air and contouring around the bass, finally realistic-sounding treble, full, organic mids, great soundstage depth and layering. It really shows that the Bonnevilles are a TOTL set masquerading in a mid-fi package IMHO.

IMG_1776.jpg

As for the rest of the year, here are my wishes to hear/buy:

Canpur 622B
Aura
Loki
PMG APX
CraftEars Omnium
Duality

I love the Timestream cable with my Cascaras too - I've tried to roll it but keep coming back to it. Apropos, I am still addicted to my Cascaras as my out-and-about set. Perfect fit, lightweight, perfect tuning for the rock and roll I listen to when I walk/run.

Thanks mate!

That Code 24 blue is certainly... striking and making some kind of statement :p

(EA are getting beaten up in the sponsor announcement thread ouch)

Yes, it happens from time to time for all cable manufacturers here. We're used to it, to each their own always!

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #76,704 of 90,121
Okay so I've spent quite a bit longer listening to the 622b since it arrived this morning, enough to where I think I can elaborate and/or change my original impressions.

IMG_8182.JPG

Here's what I wrote back on November 8th:

"The 622B is very impressive. It sort of a neutral with sub bass boost tonality, it’s got a neutral low mid range with slightly pulled back upper mids and a natural but well detailed and extended treble response. Overall it’s just fairly inoffensive and easy to listen to. The BCD mids are awesome, very spacious with pinpoint imaging with a sort of “reverb” thing going on, I’d highly recommend checking this one out."

Overall I'd say my general impressions towards these IEMs based off the description above is about the same. I did think these learned quite on the warmer/relaxed side with the N30 LE but I'm not finding that to be the case from the R8 II. It's a neutral-warm tonality with a natural timbre and a more revealing presentation. The bass is more impressive than I recalled it being. I used to refer to these at "pooters" to other Head-Fi'ers and I'm happy to admit I was wrong there. The bass goes very deep with good detail and has a generous punch to it that can produce quite an impactful low end. I still don't think it's on the same level of the Storm in terms of sheer impact or bass dynamics but I'd probably rate this just a tad below what the Storm is capable of for BA lows. I am also hearing a slight bit of treble dryness/etch but I don't feel too comfortable saying it's a fault of the IEM but rather a combo of the treble tuning and the source material. I am able to minimize this with different ear tips so it's not really an issue for me at all.

I also do feel they're quite a bit more technically capable than I had originally caught onto. While to my ears it's not Storm or Fei Wan levels of techs, I'd say they're overall not far off to even care. For starters I am really enjoying how this IEM handles dynamics, it manages to sound quite relaxed if it needs to but also incredibly explosive and punchy if the track calls for it. In comparison something like the Fei Wan which constantly feels dynamic and punchy, sometimes that can be a bit fatiguing or not fitting of the mood I am in, so overall I'm very impressed here. Resolution is also a bit higher than I originally gave them credit for, still not quite Storm and to a lesser extent Fei Wan levels but absolutely TOTL/flagship levels of resolution and detail.

My main gripe is how bulbous the shells are, they have a weird protrusion followed by a short and stumpy nozzle and I'm not finding this too comfortable after long periods of time, but for shorter sessions it's fine.

IMG_8183.JPG

Overall I've come away much more impressed with these than I originally thought. I think for me they could be a really good replacement of something between the lines of a more natural U12t-ish tonality with M.Mentor level technicals. I've asked Andrew at MT about CIEM details and whether or not they'd fit my ears, but it's not something I feel in any rush to do at the moment. I'm quite happy with what I have in CIEM for the time being, but that may change tomorrow. 😃

As far as whether I think they're the "best IEM" out there, I'm not sure about that as I don’t think a title should exist, but I think having that opinion would be very valid. Even if I did think they were I don't think I'd admit it as I'm pretty happy knowing there's several summit-fi offerings of different flavors and price points, and I enjoy quite a few of them. I do see these being... erm... very popular as time passes though.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #76,706 of 90,121
I only want to hear the positives AFTER I buy an IEM. Yes, I hate to admit it, but validation is a real thing. My heart dies a little when an IEM I really love gets sold by someone I respect. Red Halo may be my most beloved IEM and hardly anyone likes it. So, when I find someone who loves it as much as I do, my heart sings.
I think I’ve sold quite a number of iems you liked a lot, but I can’t keep them all. But agree, Red Halo is one of the iems I find awesome, and personally, I think I may prefer it to AP (the horror!). What I don’t like about RH was the less than satisfactory quality of the hardware, which is similar to Indigo. At those prices, I expect more.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #76,707 of 90,121
I think I’ve sold quite a number of iems you liked a lot, but I can’t keep them all. But agree, Red Halo is one of the iems I find awesome, and personally, I think I may prefer it to AP (the horror!). What I don’t like about RH was the less than satisfactory quality of the hardware, which is similar to Indigo. At those prices, I expect more.
What's the "horror" with AP? I know that you put yours not long ago on the classifieds. Do let us know why did you sell your AP 😁

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #76,708 of 90,121
Fokus Prestige has been taking most of my time lately, even over Ronin. Noble has done a great job with the tuning of Prestige and that bass reaches low and deep. It is very satisfying. It's made me remember what a well tuned DD can do to your listening experience and put me on the prowl again for a diff IEM that has a DD.
They are very good.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #76,709 of 90,121
What's the "horror" with AP? I know that you put yours not long ago on the classifieds. Do let us know why did you sell your AP 😁

There’s no horror with AP, besides its eye-watering price. The horror is that I may be one of the few (only one?) who don’t regard AP as highly as convention indicates, but for my personal preferences, which have changed a fair bit. For clarity, AP is technically proficient, rectifies a number of things I did not like about MM (another IEM where my preference probably flies against the winds of popular thinking), in terms of timbre, tonality and treble presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back