The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #83,386 of 90,104
I adore the supermoon and although I have culled my stable quite a bit, the SM continues to be a regular fixture.

If I want it to sound less planar like in terms of transient speed and instead take on a denser presentation with wider stage and greater bass texture, not to mention, overall warmer in the treble, I use my Sony WM1ZM2.

IMG_9236.jpeg

If, on the other hand, I want to use at the gym, and play a little rock n’ roll, I like pairing it with the incredible Dita Navigator. While my Navigator review is pending, I love how unique its sound signature is, in the realm of dongles: lightning fast transients, deep bass impact, and overall, a more caffeinated presentation which serves me well at the gym!

IMG_9265.jpeg
What cable is that? gorgeous two tone with maching hardware!

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #83,387 of 90,104
I think the amp section is quite drawback on N7. I tried 475 in Canjam London last year and I personally use A100TB stack which improve the sound from N7 significantly
I will be doing N7+475 soon, so will see

However next week doing sth unusual, will mod the 475 by replacing the stock jrc opamps with adapters and then installing some bigger upgrade ones, including ss3602. Should be interesting

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #83,389 of 90,104
I tried it. I think the price point is likely the barrier, combined with usual A + K hoops. I was at the Empire Ears booth--both their rep and @Jack Vang had it, but apparently because of licensing weren't allowed to demo it at their table (they were similarly perplexed). In other words, you had to go across the way directly to the A and K booth in order to even get a listen. It's an excellent IEM. I think in a direct A/B comparison it wins compared to Raven and was essentially a cleaner, more detailed Raven, but to me that's kind of a base expectation given the cost difference. I think there are crowds that can afford a $5000 MSRP IEM but I don't think at that price people were rushing out to purchase it or even demo it, but that's just my humble opinion.
That sounds odd especially since it is an EE project as well. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I simply wanted to know. I understand that more money does not mean better sound. However, it is rare in US to be able to demo iems before purchasing. Simply wanted to know what all the fuss is about. To me inflating prices is a thing in recent years across everything.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #83,390 of 90,104
Review now up for the Simgot EA1000... HERE

Late to the party with this one, it has had huge praise for a number of months now and I can finally completely understand why - wonderful IEM for not a whole lot of money.

IMG_0658.jpg

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #83,391 of 90,104
Review now up for the Simgot EA1000... HERE

Late to the party with this one, it has had huge praise for a number of months now and I can finally completely understand why - wonderful IEM for not a whole lot of money.

Great review! I tried the 500LM and they were just too bright for me. I believe the 1000 are also tuned bright? I'd love to try them someday for myself.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #83,392 of 90,104
First canjam. On my way!
It was good to see some of the water coolers out there in the wild even though none of them would know who I was. However, I did have quite a long chat with @RTodd at the musicteck booth.
My highlights were: 1. Canpur 622b 2. Annihilator 3. Storm (which I would buy if I had the $ rn and it was actually available) 4. NG Erebus. I thought it was very good although a little expensive for it 5. Trifecta..finally got try it. I think I’d need more time with it. I liked it but I also like bonneville a lot. This to me seems like an “amplified” bonneville sound sig. 6. Noble onyx (which could be the first noble that fit me decently and sounded pretty good.

I still like the mentors and I would probabaly take 1-3 instead. There’s just something about them that I feel is a little sauce. Maybe it’s the Bone conduction but I enjoyed myself and will definitely go back.

I also got a chance to listen to bird TI which I also enjoyed way more than the 2 new UM iem’s which I think lacked treble and were kinda boring. That being said the sound signature u can listen to for hours as they are very relaxed with great soundstage.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #83,393 of 90,104
With regards to the Noble Audio Onyx to those that heard it at CanJam what is the sound signature of it? Trying to decide between the EE Raven and the Onyx. Thank you for your help cooler.
Raven but onyx was not bad actually very comfortable, but nothing about it stuck out to me for that price
If anyone who went to CanJam was able to listen to the Empire Ears Novus (new iem) and could someone give me some impressions on the sound signature for it?
Kind of dark overall sound signature with tons of bass very big Shell and very uncomfortable (not enough time to have a real assessment on it I know some people loved it and some people hated it. I am indifferent.)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #83,395 of 90,104
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #83,396 of 90,104
Raven but onyx was not bad actually very comfortable, but nothing about it stuck out to me for that price

Kind of dark overall sound signature with tons of bass very big Shell and very uncomfortable
I actually thought the novus was pretty good. I found them fairly comfortable and I didn’t find them “dark”. Worth $5k? Probably not.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #83,397 of 90,104
I actually thought the novus was pretty good. I found them fairly comfortable and I didn’t find them “dark”. Worth $5k? Probably not.
Could’ve been dark because I was listening to storm and Faye wan for a while right before, but I did enjoy it too. It just hurt my ear personally with the fit and the sound did not jump out to me as a must have, but someone else may greatly appreciate it

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #83,398 of 90,104
With regards to the Noble Audio Onyx to those that heard it at CanJam what is the sound signature of it? Trying to decide between the EE Raven and the Onyx. Thank you for your help cooler.
Didn’t take notes but by memory it would probably be the Raven for me . The Onyx was good though. The star of the show for me was a prototype that Eletech brought with them. Well other than the Traillii TI which I did like quite a lot but damn the price,

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #83,399 of 90,104
I listened to the onyx twice at the bloom room. It's definitely a nice warm fun with good technicalities IEM. Definitely very present bass.

But then I compared them to the Volür, which I brought with me, and I just felt the bass was so much less in quality, not in quantity.

I was happy with that in the end, because one less IEM to have fomo about.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #83,400 of 90,104

music discovery + Lego cars while my partner makes stained glass creations. Perfect Saturday, nothing could be better

except maybe CanJam 😩
Still SO jealous of the bird print on your szalayi!! 👀🔥🥲

Users who are viewing this thread

Back