The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #86,146 of 88,836
Surely you jest :wink: as you must have listened to enough unamplified acoustic instruments to know how they sound "in the wild" - be it drums, or piano, or acoustic guitar, or vocals, etcetera. But yeah, once recorded and played back to you through your gear I agree with everything you wrote.

drftr
Yes, music in the wild is a totally different story... I was talking about "within the realm of the playback of audio media," as stated. The 'unamplified acoustic source' is the holy grail reference point for all listening - although those experiences are fewer and farther between nowadays in our digitally-mediated world... For instance, I love house music in clubs and I love listening to it at home - and for many that's all they hear - and that's digitally-mediated from start to finish more or less...

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #86,147 of 88,836
Very astute observation. Although I have to say, I listen to plenty of new and different music nowadays as a result of better gear (jazz and classical music, for example), even though I'd still happily listen to my favourite music on any gear. Some music, for me, is just better for demonstrating technical performance in high-end gear (and I listen to it solely for this purpose), and conversely can be used to isolate technical deficiencies in not-so-high-end gear. The two - listening for enjoyment and listening for technical performance - can and usually are mutually exclusive, even though some people derive their enjoyment in part or whole from the technical performance of their gear.
+1. I have been really getting into experiencing so many genres and sub-genres thanks the technical performance of the current gear available. Love this part of the hobby!

Living a block away from an amazing second hand record/movie shop is both incredible for my collections and also terrible for my wallet at the same time.
Physical media and the equipment to play such media is certainly another rabbit hole that I hope I never start on. That would be misery for my bank account, not that it already isn't!

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #86,148 of 88,836
To me it's never been about 'what the artist intended' for all the reasons stated. Same goes with literary analysis and bogus arguments about 'authorial intention.' Also within the realm of the playback of audio media, we often hear talk of getting 'closer to the source,' which is the basis of the term 'high fidelity,' as in highly faithful to the source material, in this case digital but on my old two-channel system, analog. But this is fraught too, because every source has to played through some kind of playback chain in order to be heard and so is not, by definition, the source itself. We cannot hear the source itself. Never have been able to, never will be able to. So really, in the end, any analysis of a playback chain that claims to get you closer to the source or have higher fidelity is specious. A system can have higher resolution, better detail-retrieval, higher bitrate, more 'realistic' timbre or decay, to your ears, but that is just a tuning preference and you cannot claim any greater proximity to the platonic ideal of 'the source' than anyone else. You can prefer it to sound that way, and that's great if that's what you want to hear. But in the end, it really does come down to enjoyment. How much pleasure a playback system gives you dictates what you are willing to spend on it, I think. Spend according to your need for that pleasure, but not because you want to objectively argue your system is any way "better" than another. Ramen.

Love it.

Ramen indeed.
Ramen indeed, my brothers and sisters! 🙏

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #86,149 of 88,836
Yes, music in the wild is a totally different story... I was talking about "within the realm of the playback of audio media," as stated. The 'unamplified acoustic source' is the holy grail reference point for all listening - although those experiences are fewer and farther between nowadays in our digitally-mediated world... For instance, I love house music in clubs and I love listening to it at home - and for many that's all they hear - and that's digitally-mediated from start to finish more or less...
Sorry, my bad...

To drive home a point made earlier on, how relevant is music in the wild really if you don't like its sound? Cymbals for instance often sound very "dirty" and confronting, and you may not want to hear that back at all at home - if possible in the first place because of its incredible dynamics.

So again it's about what you like best instead of how it was in reality.

drftr

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #86,151 of 88,836
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #86,153 of 88,836
There are two favorite treads of mine on this forum, this one and the discovery tread. I see one as midfi and up, and one as midfi and down. Both are great! I don’t feel the name of this one is wrong. Ir started “in the middle” and naturally evolved into higher end gear. To change the name in any way now would be to drastic I feel. I have many times seen people been encouraged to visit the other tread if the question fit better in that one, while also getting a few advices on the way. For the most part this works great. Sometimes misunderstandings lead to heated arguments that maybe could have been avoided if people read the posts twice before posting harsh responses. 😅. Keep enjoying the music!

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #86,154 of 88,836
Eight hours later and it seems that if you are the right people here you can say whatever you like to others even to the point of a personal attack using language that the admins removed because it was inappropriate but apparently no apology needed.

I guess a couple of folks wanted to be internet tough guys. And one of the offenders was upset at my use if the phrase “one of the boys” or something to that affect, how mean of me.

For clarity, I don’t actually care what someone on the internet calls me, it is the hypocrisy of the situation. Polite discourse —— attack with vulgarity.

Cheers.

Anyway, don’t mind me, back to business as usual 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #86,155 of 88,836
On the other hand, this new IEM called Alter Ego from a hitherto unknown brand, Melodic Artification, really impressed. It had some of the most beautiful treble known to man, and some decent bass, with the bass switch turned on. I would love a re-listen
🤞🏻

Thanks for the "Hands up" on these release, since Melodic Artification posted a picture of the Alter Ego last summer on their Weibo side they kept in silence.

Was there any mentioning about the price? Both, Melodic Artification (Eclipse) and Timsok (TS-316) had fantastic budget releases. So, I'm wondering if this one follows the same footsteps.

Eclipse was not really a budget release (US$1,390) :sweat_smile: but a very valuable package , superb build quality and some magic tuning that is working for fun and also serious listening, yeah for "real" seriously listening the soundstage could have been a tad better and maybe also a little more energy in the upper region.

I’m really curious to hear more about this one - Eclipse is a fantastic IEM and definitely a set I regret parting with. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this!

Can only repeat myself once more :L3000: I'm still very happy with your IEM that I bought for a very fair price last year - just had listen with them these afternoon.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #86,156 of 88,836
There are two favorite treads of mine on this forum, this one and the discovery tread. I see one as midfi and up, and one as midfi and down. Both are great! I don’t feel the name of this one is wrong. Ir started “in the middle” and naturally evolved into higher end gear. To change the name in any way now would be to drastic I feel. I have many times seen people been encouraged to visit the other tread if the question fit better in that one, while also getting a few advices on the way. For the most part this works great. Sometimes misunderstandings lead to heated arguments that maybe could have been avoided if people read the posts twice before posting harsh responses. 😅. Keep enjoying the music!

Yes I’m the same, my two favourite threads to explore and hear impressions that cover basically everything interesting available in this hobby no matter what price point. And indeed, the music connects us all at the end of the day!

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #86,157 of 88,836
I also occasionally check out the discovery thread but it is just too easy get lost there: too many brands and too much are happening. However, I do get my Quattro there (or maybe from Penon thread? they are both started by the same person anyway) and I like it a lot.

Speaking of discovery thread, I just dropped by and to my surprise, I found "HBB sound signature" mentioned. Since when HBB has a sound signature:), maybe through his collaborationns?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #86,158 of 88,836
I am genuinely confused... In the last 2 days, there has been so many posts here complaining about WC thread, most vocally and repeatedly by @PixelSquish and @BS5711 who have issues with the content (flagship gear), the "regulars" (boys club), etc.
The solution is VERY simple: start a new thread (e.g. "The Cool Guys: mid-priced gear discussion. No boys club allowed") and hang out there!
Sounds like a much more sensible thing to do than hang out here, start fights with multiple people, and then complain that you're not being loved... :rolling_eyes:

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #86,159 of 88,836
I am genuinely confused... In the last 2 days, there has been so many posts here complaining about WC thread, most vocally and repeatedly by @PixelSquish and @BS5711 who have issues with the content (flagship gear), the "regulars" (boys club), etc.
The solution is VERY simple: start a new thread (e.g. "The Cool Guys: mid-priced gear discussion. No boys club allowed") and hang out there!
Sounds like a much more sensible thing to do than hang out here, start fights with multiple people, and then complain that you're not being loved... :rolling_eyes:
True dat. It has become the Waterh(e)ater lately :frowning2:

drftr

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #86,160 of 88,836
always very telling to check out their reaction score vs messages posted lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back