The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #86,656 of 89,504
I had the Feiwan off the 1AM2 for about a week before I got the 1Z. And the 1AM2 is definitely close to the 1Z in terms of signature. 1Z was next level though
I was debating between 1AM2 and 1Z OG for a while before finally bought 1AM2. I am wondering next level, by how much? :)

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #86,657 of 89,504
Help the poor guy with advice on where to move next after Simponio pb10. Only single-driver iems are of interest. I only have experience with Letshuoer s15 and Letshuoer Cadenza 4. Simphonio RX10 and Simphonio PB10. There is also Moondrop Aria 2. And two pairs of very cheap earbuds are Ve monk and Faaeal)) Of all these, I love Faaeal Rosemary and Simphonio PB10 the most. Most likely I will get rid of everything else in the near future. So where to go? Up to $1500. Multi-driver designs are not at all interesting. I'm only interested in dynamic and planar single-driver headphones. Who can advise what. I listened to Campfire Supermoon, and I don’t know if they are better than Simphonio PB10 or not. Personally, it seemed to me that Simphonio pb10 is even better than these Camp.Supermoon. What else can you listen to in this price range?

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #86,659 of 89,504
Not always true. Trifecta does both quite well. So does Bonneville. Also he didn't say warm, he said full body. I feel like that's different. To me that's more akin to note weight and not lower-mid coloration. Monachaa is another example - expansive sound-stage but full-sounding notes due to DDs in the mids. But not warm per se.
Good options there in Trifecta, Bonneville and Monachaa.

The note weight, expansive sound stage with full sounding notes reminds me of Orpheus Shielding

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #86,660 of 89,504
Early impressions:

I am very fortunate to have grabbed a pair of these as soon as I did. I know that. Thank you @MusicTeck.

Still playing with tips. Velvets, Baroques, and the included Final E (I believe these are the Final E Edge tips) are all in play. I will likely try the E Pro Horns as they exhibit some kind of juju (for my anatomy) with the Monachaa, as they also did with the original Monarchs.

Ok. Its way too early for me to go in depth. That I will do by next weekend once I’ve had substantial time with them. Besides, our friend @Smirk 24 is, as usual, on the money.

If you value top class clean bass, mid range presentation, and vocal presence, my Lord, get in line for these.

They make a great complementary set to the Monachaas. Quite different monitors. And you probably won’t hear me hating on the implementation of these EST drivers. The coherency is something.

No faults. Nothing out of order. They do not require much power. The open back design means that sound does bleed out and I could hear as much when I set them down to get something across the room. But they project a lot of detail AND they are fun to listen to. And vocals… good God.

IMG_2934.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #86,661 of 89,504
Why not combine the two? Pulling a Damz Hurst 🤭
Oxymoron!

Early impressions:

I am very fortunate to have grabbed a pair of these as soon as I did. I know that. Thank you @MusicTeck.

Still playing with tips. Velvets, Baroques, and the included Final E (I believe these are the Final E Edge tips) are all in play. I will likely try the E Pro Horns as they exhibit some kind of juju (for my anatomy) with the Monachaa, as they also did with the original Monarchs.

Ok. Its way too early for me to go in depth. That I will do by next weekend once I’ve had substantial time with them. Besides, our friend @Smirk 24 is, as usual, on the money.

If you value top class mid range presentation and vocal presence, my Lord, get in line for these.

They make a great complementary set to the Monachaas. Quite different monitors. And you probably won’t hear me hating on the implementation of these EST drivers. The coherency is something.

No faults. Nothing out of order. A lot of detail AND fun to listen to. And vocals… good God.

Surprising the first thing you noticed is the mids, since I remembered from reading the impressions from CanJam Singapore, Melodic Artification Alter Ego has great bass (maybe I remembered wrong or confused it with another new IEM).

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #86,662 of 89,504
Oxymoron!

Surprising the first thing you noticed is the mids, since I remembered from reading the impressions from CanJam Singapore, Melodic Artification Alter Ego has great bass (maybe I remembered wrong or confused it with another new IEM).
They went in my ears after an hour with the Monachaas. The synergy between the Monachaas, E Pro Horns, Thanos, and R8II makes for my favorite quick and agile low end presentation (I have not ripped the plastic off the Titan so we’ll see where this ends up). But, yes, the bass is very good. It’s just that everything sounds so wide open that the mid range breathes allowing both male and female vocals to steal the show.

Also, you want more bass and sub 400 Hz frequency body? Flip that switch. Incredible stuff.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #86,663 of 89,504
Why not combine the two? Pulling a Damz Hurst 🤭
Man, that Damn Hurts...

drftr
I see @drftr is a man of culture getting the pun implied by combining the two into one.

To the watercooler member who said that a Damz Hurst was an oxymoron I quite enjoy my jumbo shrimp. They are delicious.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #86,664 of 89,504
I see @drftr is a man of culture getting the pun implied by combining the two into one.

To the watercooler member who said that a Damz Hurst was an oxymoron I quite enjoy my jumbo shrimp. They are delicious.
Nowadays I don't use the term "men of culture" anymore, unless drftr's favorite YouTube videos are female track and field.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #86,665 of 89,504
I thought so too with N7 + PB5 with DCA Stealth and the Raven. After switching to old trusty DX312 they both sound splendid :) perhaps try a different source?

For my use cases and my taste, I’m perfectly equipped with my three transportable amps, all with large amounts of power and different sound sigs.

Now I’m prepared for all situations and all kinds of music with these amps, IEMs and headphones.

They were carefully selected by me after many years in the hobby and finally I miss nothing anymore.

Still I will probably want to try other stuff in the future but for now I’m content and super happy. No need to change a thing 👍

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #86,666 of 89,504
Early impressions:

If you value top class mid range presentation and vocal presence, my Lord, get in line for these.

No faults. Nothing out of order. They do not require much power nor do they isolate very well. Open backs. I can hear them across the room… clearly. But they project a lot of detail AND they are fun to listen to. And vocals… good God.

Few things that i truly impressed with Alter Ego: Vocal, Coherency, Soundstage and Puncy Bass.

Still curious how loud the leak though, I think should be less than Radon 6 / Turii Ti, but that's my only assumption.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #86,667 of 89,504
Few things that i truly impressed with Alter Ego: Vocal, Coherency, Soundstage and Puncy Bass.

Still curious how loud the leak though, I think should be less than Radon 6 / Turii Ti, but that's my only assumption.
I cannot compare them as I’ve never heard either, but I set the AE set down with the R8II playing and I could hear Shara Nelson (Massive Attack’s “Safe from harm”) singing “you can free my mind” from the other room. Downtown Chicago. Traffic and the train not far from my (closed) windows. Not a fault as far as I’m concerned. But I would not get into bed next to my partner while wearing them if I didn’t want her to leave for the couch or banish me there instead.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #86,668 of 89,504
I was debating between 1AM2 and 1Z OG for a while before finally bought 1AM2. I am wondering next level, by how much? :)
1AM2 is very close to the sound quality of 1Z OG. The analog sound quality is unique to that copper chassis 1Z. Plus 1Z is slightly more resolving and 1Z pairs very well with different iems (more so than 1AM2)

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #86,669 of 89,504
For anyone that enjoys electronic music that leans a bit more experimental, I highly recommend checking this out... the first track literally had my heart pounding as it progressed due to the chaotic structure and complexity, incredible stuff.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #86,670 of 89,504
Oh and I have to post one more - I've been a huge fan of the AnotherLateNight / Late Night Tales series since it first came out in the late 90s (or perhaps early 00s... need to double check!) - discovered so many artists from these stunning compilations. Revisiting again lately and the Rae & Christian from 2001 was always a huge favourite due to how they actually mixed like a DJ set with brilliantly curated track selection and seamless mixing, plus a hugely eclectic selection of genres that just blend perfectly... the climax track 10 'Roll Call' still brings a massive smile to my face and has me dancing in the kitchen chair all these years later :) Highly, highly recommended to basically anyone!

Edit: just checked, the first AnotherLateNight was in 2001 and by Fila Brazillia (another gem, but they pretty much all are...)

Edit 2: this actually has me in tears... it really is incredible the power of music to connect to a distant time, there is nothing else for me that can achieve that as much as music... next I would say smell, and then photos or video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back