The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 3, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #88,261 of 89,615
Thanks! I sold 622B in favour of Storm, although in hindsight I don't think they're too similar overall. At the time though, I only wanted to keep a small number of IEMs and I felt both Storm and 622B occupied a similar spot in my collection. Also my mindset was that 622B would be easier to replace/re-buy later on down the track. The other issue I had was comfort. The universal 622B shell has a strange shape that caused some discomfort to my antihelix during longer sessions.

With that said, I think 622B sounds fantastic. I really enjoyed its midrange tonal balance and technicalities, particularly its imaging and resolution. Its BA bass really impressed me too. I think Storm still holds the top spot for BA bass quality that I've heard, but 622B is close. Knowing me I'll probably end up picking one up again later on this year. :)
But did you put the CP622B in your IEM ranking? So do you consider Storm and CP622B similar in terms of signature?

May 3, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #88,262 of 89,615
I was just going to add that his page is not always updated and sometimes it is best to reach up to him to see if he either has something not listed yet or if he could help you source for one.
Now I recall you mentioned something like this when I visited HCMC. Probably best for @slumberman to reach out to him directly through social media as email isn't Ethan's biggest hobby. Super helpful guy, Alessandro, and he seems to know everyone in high-end that side of the planet.

drftr

May 3, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #88,263 of 89,615
All this talk on the Storm, anyone have one for sale??? haha

Is there an ETA on the normal edition one’s release? I thought it was soon…

May 3, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #88,264 of 89,615
All this talk on the Storm, anyone have one for sale??? haha

Is there an ETA on the normal edition one’s release? I thought it was soon…
There is soon and there is Subtonic soon. Subtonic soon is about waiting for a long time

May 3, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #88,266 of 89,615
Happy Friday/weekend everybody! 🥳

May 3, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #88,267 of 89,615
There is soon and there is Subtonic soon. Subtonic soon is about waiting for a long time

Haha, understandable.

So, back to my original question, anyone selling theirs?

May 3, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #88,268 of 89,615
Haha, understandable.

So, back to my original question, anyone selling theirs?

IMG_0093.jpeg

May 3, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #88,270 of 89,615
Congratulations to Tyler who won a $500 eGift Card!

Today's drawing is for a pair of the brand new Burson V7 Classic Dual Opamps! Thank you to our friends at Burson (@SS-Audio) for sponsoring today's giveaway. https://gleam.io/LIt0A/bloom-5th-anniversary-giveaway-extravaganza
Super thankful for @Andrew DiMarcangelo and the Bloom team today, I now have a DC-Elite on the way! Along with a new IEM carrying case and a bunch of new SpinFit tips.

Enter their giveaway if you haven’t!

May 3, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #88,271 of 89,615
Awesome, we'll get those shipped right out. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
May 3, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #88,272 of 89,615
Based on the reviews it seems like it'll be a nice contrast to my wm1am2 when I want a more energetic sound presentation. I haven't used anything with a stepped attenuator and was curious if the volume adjustment would be an issue but I guess the bird isn't too sensitive.

I primarily use dongles with my laptop so I'm not too worried about the weight/power draw.
The thing with a stepped attenuator is not the sensitivity of an IEM used but sound dropping out while changing steps (there is nothing you can do with this) and not that big steps amount to match exactly your desired volume (24, but it also have +/- controls, so was not an issue for me).

May 3, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #88,273 of 89,615
@gLer Could they be practising South African now vs nownow?

drftr
It's similar in Mexico, right now right now vs right now (meaning when I have time), or later later (meaning never) vs later.

May 3, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #88,274 of 89,615
Headphone Auditions In Amsterdam probably has most to compare and they have the amp by Thrax as well which could/should be added to your shortlist.
Yeah great shop, been there many times.

But with all the choices there, one of the few things they dont have is a lot of portable iem/headphone amps (dont count dap ofc).
Only the enleum and that amp from Thrax.
But that amp is not battery powered, and has its gain switch internally which needs to be set when buying it before it gets screwed shut.
So that one is a no for me.

May 3, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #88,275 of 89,615
I often wonder what today's summit-fi Head-Fiers would think of yesteryear's treasures. Objectively speaking, there is more technology to work with these days in sculpting sound signatures, but there's still some old stuff out that that is very unique. For example, what would people now think of a Tralucent 1p2 with the silver+gold cable? The staging on that thing was insane!

In headphones this is so much more common. Some vintage models, or even limited releases from 3-4 years ago, may cost more today than they did originally due to their unique qualities (e.g. MDR-R10, AT L5000) and some existing models that remain top performers have been around for quite a few years (e.g. Susvara).

I wonder whether when the IEM industry matures, this will phenomenon will also occur. Likely there will be some unique creations that will prove timeless at a certain point (or in retrospect), while most others become obsolete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back