The Zune is Dead, Long Live the Zune HD
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #181 of 187
Thinking of making the iPod classic to Zune HD switch. Have a bunch of non-DRM iTunes AAC files. Anyone know how Zune 4.0 software handles those?

I ask b/c WMP 11 will play AAC to 320 kbps, but won't let you add them to the library for some stupid(I'm sure proprietary) reason. Wondering if Zune 4.0 has the same problem. I had to convert all my 256 kbps AAC files to WMA lossless(hence big size with still mediocre quality audio since I made them from lossy files) so I could stream to my xbox360.

anyone know?

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #182 of 187
Quote:

Thinking of making the iPod classic to Zune HD switch. Have a bunch of non-DRM iTunes AAC files. Anyone know how Zune 4.0 software handles those?

Zune HD and software both playback that type of AAC. No issue adding files to your library/collection. in short, AAC (non-drm), wma, wma lossless and mp3 are the supported audio formats.

You can add audible audiobooks, too.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #183 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune HD and software both playback that type of AAC. No issue adding files to your library/collection. in short, AAC (non-drm), wma, wma lossless and mp3 are the supported audio formats.

You can add audible audiobooks, too.

Great to hear. One more Zune software question, the files purchased from the Zune store are non-DRM wma files, right? what's the bitrate on them?

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #184 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCoast02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking of making the iPod classic to Zune HD switch. Have a bunch of non-DRM iTunes AAC files.

I don't think you will regret the decision to switch. I recently switched from the 160GB Classic to the Zune HD and really enjoying it. It does take a bit of time to get used to the Zune software and the Zune HD interface because it's very different from iTunes and the iPod interface (different in a good way). It may seem a bit frustrating at first, but don't give up. Once I got used to it, interface seems more intuitive than the iTunes/iPod interfaces.

Zune can read DRM-free AAC files with no problems. Set it to monitor your music folder and it will automatically add to the Zune software. You may have to edit some ID3 tags though. Also, I had to convert all the Apple Lossless files to WMA Lossless, which too quite a while. One final complain I have is not able to fit my entire music collection into the Zune HD; refreshing the playlist will take some time to get used to.

Also, try the 14-day free trial of Zune Pass. I did and I'm hooked
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure about the bit-rate of purchased music, but with the Zune Pass, the downloaded music is 192K WMA.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #185 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCoast02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear. One more Zune software question, the files purchased from the Zune store are non-DRM wma files, right? what's the bitrate on them?

Most of the songs at the Zune Marketplace that you can buy using Microsoft points (or Zune Pass credits) at available in MP3 format with 320 kbps bitrate.

The only song with DRM WMA files with burning rights attached (you can burn and re-rip to remove the DRM).

Quote:

I'm not sure about the bit-rate of purchased music, but with the Zune Pass, the downloaded music is 192K WMA.

Zune Pass is the $15.00 monthly subscription service that allows you to keep ten songs each month. You can use these 10 store credits to purchase any MP3 or WMA song on the store.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #186 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the songs at the Zune Marketplace that you can buy using Microsoft points (or Zune Pass credits) at available in MP3 format with 320 kbps bitrate.

I did not know that the songs you get with Zune Pass credits are 320 Kbps. I'm still in my free trial period, so it hasn't renewed to the paid subscription yet, which means no Zune Pass credits. The songs I download with the subscription (the ones with DRM) is only 192 Kbps and in WMA format though.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #187 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not know that the songs you get with Zune Pass credits are 320 Kbps. I'm still in my free trial period, so it hasn't renewed to the paid subscription yet, which means no Zune Pass credits. The songs I download with the subscription (the ones with DRM) is only 192 Kbps and in WMA format though.

Every free track/song or album from the Zune Marketplace is coming in mp3s 320kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back