ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #962 of 1,778
Starflower account is only a week old though...
It is a new account, but Linsoul hasn’t had a presence on these threads, that I know of. I would like for them to, so they can directly address any concerns and questions, so it’s good.

DD Store is Linsoul’s AliExpress store, and ThieAudio is Linsoul’s brand, so your one year warranty would apply. I recommend contacting Linsoul directly.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #963 of 1,778
@Aaron89NL perhaps your expectations of the legacy 3 to the urbanfun are too high when it comes to sound signature? The urbanfun has more bass and more treble which is what people consider a VShape iem which is also considered "fun" since it exaggerates those areas.

The legacy 3 is a more balanced tuning with just slight emphasis on subbass to provide deeper rumble. Balanced tuning can be boring because they work well for many to all genres

See graph below for reference.

graph.png

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #964 of 1,778
I’ve been meaning to comment on this for a while, as I’d imagine most people here weren’t so happy with my L3 review. Myself and some others have criticized the L3, but I do think the mixed impressions might also have a lot to do with unit variation. Antdroid himself has experienced this first-hand more than anyone, as he's graphed three or four separate L3s (his first one had a different tuning on each side). All of them have had different frequency responses to varying degrees. And to this effect, he definitely prefers some iterations more than the others with the CIEM being the best.

So my problem with the L3 lies not strictly with it's tuning/technical performance, but more so the unit variance that seems to be present. It seems like there's some good apples and some bad apples out there. Like it or not, just going off the data at hand, there's clearly something up. And as a prospective buyer myself of the CIEM, it feels like a lottery.

Furthermore, I generally understand technicalities and the FR to be mutually exclusive. But I've also noticed that most people don't seem to be affected by the timbre issues with only a few outliers like myself, Banbeu, and another reviewer friend mentioning it. And just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I confirmed with the kind person who lent me their L3. It'd be pretty tough to not notice IMHO, so maybe there's some correlation with the unit variation.

If these issues didn't exist, then I think a lot of my problems with the L3's technical chops would be mostly attenuated. Or I'd at least find it decent for the price and a safe recommendation; some of the versions also have more treble extension which was another of my gripes.

That graph is a little misleading since I plotted different insertion depths of the CIEM in along with the universal set variations.

If you don't understand how ear resonance works the graph can be used inaccurately and show major error. CIEMs usually do graph and can sound different slightly than the universal because they are inserted further in and the nozzle starts closer to your ear drum and can bypass parts of your ear canal. This also affects a measuring rig which had inherent resonance which can create artificial spikes in the measurement graph when measuring universal iems and less so or at least shifter further out when measuring ciem .

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #965 of 1,778
@Aaron89NL perhaps your expectations of the legacy 3 to the urbanfun are too high when it comes to sound signature? The urbanfun has more bass and more treble which is what people consider a VShape iem which is also considered "fun" since it exaggerates those areas.

The legacy 3 is a more balanced tuning with just slight emphasis on subbass to provide deeper rumble. Balanced tuning can be boring because they work well for many to all genres

See graph below for reference.

Hmm. Well if my l3 is not a bad set im out of the chifi..
My bass is at 40 or 50% compared to UF.
I am going to another forummember soon to compare his l3 with mine, he is as many very content with his l3.
Thanks for the graph tho!
Crinacle makes me wanna buy the s8pro. But im way to concerned of receiving a set wich has a total different tuning. Altough bbgar assures me that fearless qc is excellent..

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #966 of 1,778
Well, it does depend on how loud you listen to but just remember, 3dB difference requires roughly 50% more power, however 6dB is roughly 50% louder (perceived) and 10dB is a factor of double in perceived loudness. While there's no frequency range where Urbanfun is up to 6dB as loud or perceived 50% louder, a majority of the bass area is around 3dB-ish more as well as the treble region which is up to 5dB more, according to crin's graph.

If you're hearing a smaller amount of bass response, that's probably not totally "wrong", it just wasnt tuned that way, though a big drop of 50% would be a bit more than I would expect. That said, have you tried using different tips to get better seal? Bass response is all about getting the best seal possible.

I havent heard the S8 Pro myself, but graph wise, maybe that would fit you better. Definitely not something I would like though, since I really dislike that type of tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #967 of 1,778
Hmm. Well if my l3 is not a bad set im out of the chifi..
My bass is at 40 or 50% compared to UF.
I am going to another forummember soon to compare his l3 with mine, he is as many very content with his l3.
Thanks for the graph tho!
Crinacle makes me wanna buy the s8pro. But im way to concerned of receiving a set wich has a total different tuning. Altough bbgar assures me that fearless qc is excellent..
We know you’re frustrated, and we empathize. You’ve made that VERY clear to us many times, but that’s an illogical and quite ignorant statement. To lump all ChiFi together is silly, and if the standard you’re holding all IEMs to is the UF, well, the UF IS ChiFi. The S8Pro is ChiFi also.

It’s a good idea to compare with your friend’s L3. Until then, I recommend avoiding jumping to any further conclusions. If your copy is very different/worse, contact Linsoul for an exchange.

Are you familiar with BA bass? If you really like the bass in the UF and are not familiar with BA bass, you may be setting yourself up for a much more expensive disappointment with the S8Pro.

Good luck. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #968 of 1,778
...and the Urbanfun is, unfortunately, one of the MOST talked-about Chi-Fi items as far as QC problems is concerned! I think my set is good (who knows whether its the berylium driver or what), but to me it doesn't have a smooth presentation in the mids and a bit harsh in treble compared to L3. The L3's bass, in my opinion, is not lacking at all or "half" the amount of the L3 either. It's a bit less bloated overall--meaning its just better balanced and less of a v-shape tuning--but has great extension and power with recordings that present good bass.
I think you should send it back. There's no reason not to if you think there is something wrong with it. The bigger advice might be to only shop with vendors with an EASIER return policy, such as Amazon. I've shopped with Aliexpress and Linsoul and had no problems, so never needed to return anything, but cant say that many here have had horrible customer service from them, mostly just a long wait and shipping issues (depending on your country).
Balanced-Armature drivers are generally not as recommended for bass-heads as good dynamic drivers (more air displacement with cones).

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #970 of 1,778
That graph is a little misleading since I plotted different insertion depths of the

Why would you post that without labeling it? It is being used in another thread as a sample of 6 or more units that do not match. You posting it and badguy refers to it is terrible really terrible and some fans of a rival brand are having a 😂. Maybe you can clarify that to them. That badguy is ignoring his own L3 feedback video filled with praise and talks about a graph in a terrible video that is related to the graph insertion graph 📊. What a hobby. Are you a reviewer? What are you doing? Label your graphs

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #971 of 1,778
Thanks for all the excellent advice!!
Will wait to compare my l3 with another.
Destroyed my beloved UF today while taning a drop of water got in 1 of the vent canals en rip. Reorderd, Hahah thats life XD.
Cheers guys
Make sure the same ear tips are on the two L3s so the comparison is the same as possible.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #972 of 1,778
Why would you post that without labeling it? It is being used in another thread as a sample of 6 or more units that do not match. You posting it and badguy refers to it is terrible really terrible and some fans of a rival brand are having a 😂. Maybe you can clarify that to them. That badguy is ignoring his own L3 feedback video filled with praise and talks about a graph in a terrible video that is related to the graph insertion graph 📊. What a hobby. Are you a reviewer? What are you doing? Label your graphs
Sorry, can’t ignore it. He’s an excellent reviewer, and a great resource for this community. At least he took the time to graph all of those IEMs, which is a lot of trouble! Though the CIEM data does skew things some, the take away point still rings true. He even received a set of IEMs where the left side was very obviously/audibly different from the right. He posted his collected data, and it’s the READER’s job to critically analyze the data presented. If some people jump to conclusions, and make a giant assumption to extrapolate that data to represent the entire production line, you can’t pin it on him. Yes, that clarification was important, and he made it. There are many variables when graphing, and it’s nearly impossible to account for all of them, and list all of them.

My conclusion from his data was that there is some sample variation. How extensive it is is still an unknown.

You had a point, but it got lost in your arrogant post.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #973 of 1,778
Sure 👍

Bought my L3. Watched a thread devolve because a lunatic YouTube cited an unlabeled graph by another YouTube. Both connected to Linsoul.

1 guy needs to be rehabilitated and take meds

The other needs to remember those pics once on the internet are going to be used and in this case it was used in a terrible manner that confused consumers for no reason.

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #974 of 1,778
Sure 👍

Bought my L3. Watched a thread devolve because a lunatic YouTube cited an unlabeled graph by another YouTube. Both connected to Linsoul.

1 guy needs to be rehabilitated and take meds

The other needs to remember those pics once on the internet are going to be used and in this case it was used in a terrible manner that confused consumers for no reason.

I didnt post that here. Someone else did. I did make the graph and posted in a discord server with context behind it. But some of that context got lost when it was posted here. The graph is labeled though, and you can see the legend at the bottom. It's hard to interpret if you don't know the context though.

I am actually finishing up an article about this topic on my site. Hope it clears the air. This is a danger about measurements, as they can be interpreted wrong by people who dont understand how to read them correctly. It's great as long as you know how to use them. :frowning2:

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #975 of 1,778
I didnt post that here. Someone else did. I did make the graph and posted in a discord server with context behind it. But some of that context got lost when it was posted here. The graph is labeled though, and you can see the legend at the bottom. It's hard to interpret if you don't know the context though.

I am actually finishing up an article about this topic on my site. Hope it clears the air. This is a danger about measurements, as they can be interpreted wrong by people who dont understand how to read them correctly. It's great as long as you know how to use them. :frowning2:
And to add off topic, graphs have notorious variability between a list of conditions that would take forever to list. I'm learning this first hand as in experiment with measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back