Thinking of getting in to minidisc.
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
So back in the day I had a minidisc player in my car. Probably late 90s. I have always loved the format. Getting back into portable audio recently I am thrilled with my m11 and es60s, but keep thinking bout minidisc. I am thinking of getting a blue mz-n707 or mz-n710 and a pair of koss porta pros with blue pads.

What do you guys think about this? Anyone still using MD in 2021?

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Ordered a mz-n707 off the bay. Supposed to be close to mint with all accessories and 100 minidisc. I'll post update when it arrives. Also ordered kiss porta pros for that nostalgia experience.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 8
I still.have some minidisc stuff. It's fun. Collecting different discs gets expensive. It's definitely more time consuming.than just streaming tidal etc. It will be fun to see what.music is on those 100 discs.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 8
I still have my Sony MDP kicking around somewhere. Haven’t touched it in probably 10 years. MiniDisc did provide quality audio in its time. However, what I don’t miss is the limitation to quantity of audio tracks on disc and the ATRAC software needed to convert and load to disc. Will the software even work on a modern Win10 computer? Now I’m curious and will hunt for MDP.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 8
I still have my Sony MDP kicking around somewhere. Haven’t touched it in probably 10 years. MiniDisc did provide quality audio in its time. However, what I don’t miss is the limitation to quantity of audio tracks on disc and the ATRAC software needed to convert and load to disc. Will the software even work on a modern Win10 computer? Now I’m curious and will hunt for MDP.
There is a web app and an open project software that works for netMD players.
https://stefano.brilli.me/webminidisc/
https://platinum-md.app/

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 8
to each their own. mini disc in this day and age is almost like spinning vinyl, but more of a novelty. not knocking it.
I agree with that. Streaming with your phone is much easier, yet we use separate high res players. There are a lot of things about the audiophile Hobby that makes little sensein this age, but it is what we enjoy.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Mz-n707 near mint, all cables and dock, 110 blank minidisc, and two cases all for 198.00.

20210128_100218.jpg

4K9YKmj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back