Thinking of this rig...what do you guys think?
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thommohawk

100+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate some thoughts on this rig I'm thinking of getting:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 or AKG Q701

Musical Fidelity V DAC II

Little Dot MK III

All these are around the £200 mark and easily purchased from Amazon I was wondering if you guys think this system would have good synergy with itself and if you'd say it's worth the money or if there's better options out there for the same money or less that I might not have thought of.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 5
The output impedence on the LDmk3 is quite high for the q701, could result in rolled off highs and lows so I'd rule that out. I found the LDmk3 & dt880 too have good synergy; the amp gave the somewhat cold dt880 a warmer tone. There may be better options for you though
What kind of music do you enjoy?

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Well I have a DT 990 Pro at the moment that I really like but I'm looking for an upgrade....I'm into rock music mainly but I do like a bit of drum&bass too and electronica.  

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
The output impedence on the LDmk3 is quite high for the q701, could result in rolled off highs and lows so I'd rule that out. I found the LDmk3 & dt880 too have good synergy; the amp gave the somewhat cold dt880 a warmer tone. There may be better options for you though
What kind of music do you enjoy?

Output impedance often doesn't directly correlate with the synergy between amplifier and headphone. It's like saying that the output impedance is too high on my EF5 for my Grado SR225i, even though they match nicely.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 5
And the Q701 is most likely, just as the K701, designed for a 120Ω output anyway :wink:
O2 (=0Ω) + 120Ω adaptor sounds good.

try to listen to them yourself, both are nice in their own way, and don't forget to throw in the Sennheisers (HD6x0) too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back